Yolanda typhoon ride

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This ride is in the Camansi, Danao City, Cebu area where I stay currently, 2 days after the typhoon hit. Not alot of damage here as compared to other places ... The storm just went north of us and was at a Signal level 2 damage rating on their scale of 1-4 (4 being the worst).

Twenty miles north of me in the Sogod area, damage starts to pick up ... 40 miles north and its bad ... Not sure how much further north damage goes but lots is over the water to help prevent reduce the losses.

--
    Seems you can sort of gauge the wind speeds by the banana trees damage ... We are signal 2 here in Danao City on their scale and got pretty good banana tree damage, but not total destruction. I was in some signal 3 area of damage yesterday, almost 100% damage to the bananas ... Signal 4 rating and coconut trees are going down ...

This is one of my favorite roads I ride alot as it connects to a lot of places and is a cool ride. You can see the damage to the small corn along the road ...

Same road and a little more damage on this one ...Lots of fruit laying on the ground in a few places here ... Life goes on here pretty normally...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crcsO_FvPFQ

This is a pretty good look at the damage along the road ... Most homes we OK with these winds...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsHCsOVoO64
    mendo likes this.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This is a little ride down the river bank to a place I call the Camansi freeway... All this I'm riding through on this bank was under water. These rivers flooding was not too big I think due to the speed of the storm ... It was all day long but the hardest stuff hit and was gone within a few hrs ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVQqGK9udo
  3. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Crazy stuff. Reminds me a little of Korea.
    Is that trail an access road to alot of homes?
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I went back and jumped the river at the bridge just upstream and cut across the woods and connected to the freeway trail going north out of Camansi ... You can see not alot of damage out here but the trail did get washed out pretty good for just one rain ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-JLNQXcJiU
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep, all these trails access homes ... The country side is full of people living in various ways all across the land ... I can park on almost any trail that seems remote and in 20 minutes or less, someone will happen by ...
  6. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I suppose they dont mind so much with you ridin the 2 stroke haha. Over here in the States people would he throwing a fit. I love those little bongo trucks. Not sure if thats what they call them over there but Ive seen alot of them in Asia but none over here.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    These guys call these small trucks multi-cabs because 98% of them are all the same under the bottom with multiple different cabs and beds on them ... Too small for America really except for farm work ... They fit in about perfectly here for most work and travel ...

--
    Life is too simple here to get up in arms over small trivial things such as a motorcycle engine type ... We're all just trying to live each day and have a good time.
    FabOneUp and Ken Hynes like this.
  8. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I wish Americans would try that approach more often. This is a great country but we could certainly enjoy life a little more once in a while.
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Don't worry, soon the government will tell us what we can and can't enjoy. Darn it... too late.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ever read anything on the old west just before the turn of 2 centuries ago? Cowboys were rough tough, self made hard-a$$ individuals to the bone... Asked for nothing and went out and got what they needed, as needed ... Probably died before age 50 as life was so rough ... I like their attitude and tried to live like that most of my life till age 40 or so... Then I got educated and enlighten and dealt with the muck of the gov you are referring to till I move here a ~decade later. I'm a small time cowboy again, sort of, and life is good again ...

--

Best to ride more and keep your mind on the trails and tracks in front of you at all times ... Happy Trails, to You -- Happy trails to You and all :) ...

--
    And I'm hoping to get out and ride through the provinces of Cebu later this week and next week for sure ...
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I'm still having a great time, love the USA.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Makes you wonder how it's going to get back to sea. Reminds me of aftermath pictures of Japanese tsunami.
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I guess it will be cut up for scrape ... Not sure what the Japanese did with theirs ...
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I rode on up to the very northern tip of Cebu with a customer and new friend Tim. He's a really cool guy and fit in well here. He wanted to help the people here and gave away some pisos and candy and other things to the kids there. It was a good thing to watch. Thank you Tim for being such a good human being and setting such a good example for all, including me.

Things are progressing on the rebuild but it is slow and seemingly never ending for now. ELEC was around in most places. Still a little hard for me but the people up there were really happy to see new faces come into their area.

We were just following a path (as usual :)) to the north shore and got blocked in this location by downed trees.
    100_0402.JPG

Few new structures in the background.
    100_0403.JPG

If a coconut goes over, it is bad. 100_0404.JPG

Trees like the one on the left were stripped bare of all leaves. This is the new-growth you see here. Banana plants\trees\scrubs are very resilient as they just shoot back out new growths and keep growing.
    100_0405.JPG

These few shots are just a small small measure of the damage.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    100_0408.JPG

100_0410.JPG

Looks like the fisherman are back at work :). That's Malapascus Island in the background in the middle right. It you ever wanted to get away from it all, this might be the place. 100_0417.JPG

100_0414.JPG
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I forgot to mention that Tim is a WA home boy and mudd bogger guy ... So if you are ever over in the Moses Lake area in the big big mud, Tim might be there. Here's his decal. And he has some utube stuff that is interesting if you have the time to watch it.

100_0479.JPG

--

I rode this local, cut-across trail that I have used often in the past to get me off the hard-top and out into the mountains quickly. It was a really cool trail 4 yrs back but its just getting gnarlier and gnarlier over time. Plus the opposite end to the gnarly stuff has received cement. Its turning into a one-way trail and the river is really eating away trail on the top side also. It looks like a dozer has been down it before but not sure.

At the end, you can see the crop damage to the corn... About ~98% gone? This place (Danao City) is well south of the real damage so not sure if a vertex (?) formed or what to cause the damage. As a side note: You can buy a lot out there for about 1,500$ ... Lease is probably OK also. $15,000 buys alot of house here. I know I'm not gonna spend more than that when I finally build one here. Its easy math here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riajlAYF7Ns
  19. mendo Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 530 EXC-R
    Thanks for the report, interesting to see the varying damage in different regions.
  20. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The storm hit the tip of Cebu and it is well west of Leyte and Samar where the storm hit first so the impact was much less and I guess about zero water damage other than probably damage to the fishing boats ... This was bad enough as it destroyed the economy and food supply for so many.

It'll be interesting to see how this place rebuilds ... I read that the original Tacloban City was built away from the coastline and it just grew towards the water ...

Leyte is 1 ~4hr boat ride from my place ...Port is about 3 miles from my home so I hope to make it back over there in the next few months after it has stabilized even more. I've got friends in Ormoc I can stay with and they know the trails over there across the island. Ormac area took a big hit also ... The terrain there with the small inlet cove is like a mini Tacloban