1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

05 TE450 on the dyno

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by kleemann, Jun 7, 2009.

1. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Just for fun and education I put my own 05 TE450 on the dyno:

[IMG]

Lab quality lambda unit installed in the head pipe:

[IMG]

Look at that sweet 7602 Racing clutch cover!http://www.7602racing.com/

Baseline dyno: 38 hp and 32 lbs/ft tq. A little rich perhaps at less than 12:1 - going to lean it out a bit and see what comes of it.

JD Jetting kit for high altitude is installed: 170 MJ, 45 PJ, red needle at 3rd clip, 1.25 turns out on FS, fat o-ring AP mod and power now blade.

[IMG]
  2. Huskybloke Husqvarna
    AA Class

one thing the charts shows is you dont have to rev the crap out of them to get the power, have an o5 510 just done a rebuild on it with a an aftermarket wossner piston and had the head flowed and ported (already had a akrapovic header and pipe on it when i bought it) be interesting to see what i get out of the old girl Taking her out for the first Run today since ive put it all back together!!
  3. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Now for some FUN stuff! The 170 MJ was too big- I went down to a 165 MJ and picked up a little power and tq. :cheers:

THEN I did the old "timing cheat". This is where you take the ignition cover off and remove the locating shoulders from the ign pick up, oblong the holes with an end mill and then push the pick up all the way to right (as seen from the left side of the bike with the cover installed). This effectively advances the timing a few degrees. Holy heck- thats some good "free power"! Look at that tq curve: +4 more lbs feet for almost 1/2 the engines revs! :eek: :

[IMG]
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Interesting about advancing the timing. Changed the AFR in the lower rpms.

Does 'corrected' mean corrected for the knobbie tires? Or all the other variables.

EDIT - it appears you went lower in rpms in the second test.
  5. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Corrected means corrected back to the "standard day" we were talking about in the TE310 first impressions thread. Virtually all doynos on earth do this so we can discuss numbers regardless of ambient air pressure, temperature, altitude etc.

I did stop the sampling slightly early vs the first run, I did probably 100+ runs today and I get curt with the F2 button.

The AF ratio changed because I switched from a 170 main to a 165, advancing the timing did not change the AF. The AF ratio's line shape is indicative of the dynamics of the engine (the lean trend you see at 4 to 6 k RPM & the slow decline to rich). These runs are done at WOT so we are essentially just seeing the effects of the main jet and needle height.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I did not know this. The lower rpms were at WOT but the bike had not gotten up to speed yet?
  7. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

510's make silly huge TQ- tell us how it ran! :thumbsup:
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    That is for sure interesting! If you don't mind, I was wondering if you could share a few more details regarding the cutting of the pickup. Approximate size of finished hole etc?
    I have a 165 MJ and a JD red needle in my 05 and would like to go after some of that torque if it doesn't effect low speed performance or cause preignition.
  9. Huskybloke Husqvarna
    AA Class

took it out for its first run today after rebuild i also had the bore rechromed so its a pretty fresh motor but first impressions are its got alot more torque it felt like iwas in 3rd when actually was in 4th it wound out that quick and i will be doin a few of those tips that your posted up as well now all ive gotta do is hang onto her
  10. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

I dont understand your question.

The bike is on the dyno in 3rd gear, after shifting up from 1st at a dead stop. The rollers are moving and Im trying to maintain approx 2500 RPMs as I start the test. Once the computer screen shows me Im sampling I just twist the throttle wide open. The rollers (there are 4 of them as this a car dyno) weigh approx 2700 lbs- so this test takes a about 15 seconds. So it would be like rolling along at 1dle in 3rd, then whacking the throttle open and holding it there until the rev cut.
  11. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Low speed performance is enhanced several fold, no knocking at all. I use 91 octane pump gas with 1 oz of MMT type octane booster per gallon.

If you remove the ign cover you will see the pickup, lets call that 12 o'clock. If you are looking in at the stator you want to move the pick up all the way over to the LEFT until it hits the inside of the case (towards 11 o'clock).

I ground off the locating shoulder so it was flat. Then I got a 1/8th" end mill in my whizzer and elongated each hole until the pick up backing plate was able to be slid to the left until it touched the case. Im sorry I cant be more precise than that.
  12. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Kleeman, Thank you for the response. I will pull the cover and have a look. When you say "whizzer" I take it you are refering to a Dremel. SP
  13. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

LOL- yes, sorry. Its an air powered 1/4" shaft grinder body with an end mill in it. A Dremel would be fine to.

[IMG]
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That's good, i was afraid you had an end mill caught in your whizzer. Painful for sure.
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You answered my question perfectly and completely described the test. Sorry if my question was worded poorly.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
  16. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Anytime! Now everyone go mod their timing, LOL!
  17. NumberCruncher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Funny the hp numbers are as low as they are. Most mags peg the carbed TE450 at around 45-47 hp. Maybe those numbers are corrected for STP. Now that I type this, you are in Colorado right? What elevation were these dyno runs at?

Greg
  18. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Im at 6215'

My dynos are corrected for "standard day"- and they do seem a bit off what the magazines and others have posted. Its also a fairly well used bike. One hour ride and the top of the swing arm ahead of the mud guard is covered with oily gunk (dripping out of the air box). Im thinking its a little tired after 4+ years and many hundreds of hours of use?

My bike's curves dont look as nice as this one:

[IMG]
  19. Pete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE300
    Any chance of a pic of your ignition timing mod next time you have the cover off? Should this be combined with a re jet. I dont know what jets i have, my bike runs so smooth i dont wanna change that, but compared to the wifes 08 450 it doesnt have anywhere near as much grunt in the first half of the throttle.
  20. Huskybloke Husqvarna
    AA Class

took the 510 for a serious run out in the big hills and big 4 stroke country in a place called frying pan ck near Dungog N.S.W awsome torque no overreving the motor just pull another gear and climb bugger the fuel injection ill keep the 05 model still enough power to blitz the 09 model 450s i went with