1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

05 TE450 rebuild time

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by kleemann, Oct 13, 2009.

1. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

Its time- 300+ hrs and its never been apart. I cant seem to "search" and find any real data- does anyone make a high CR drop in piston? Can I use a 510 cyl and piston and net an increase? Or am I stuck just going OE replacement parts?
  2. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm not aware of any higher CR pistons, check Athena, any higher than 12.9:1 would almost surely demand high octane. I hear most would prefer a bit lower compression.

The 510 is the same bore, but longer stroke. You'd need the 510 crank and rod, plus jug and timing chain, plus more I'm sure to make it a 510, probably cheaper to buy a 510 instead.
  3. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

No listing from Athena - looks like Im building a stock 450!

Thanks fro the help!
  4. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Take pictures and let us follow your progress once you get started.
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    The original OEM has lasted well don't worry about a replacement oem.
    I am going to do the same but have 20 thou shaved off the piston to lower the comp a tad. The detuning is slight but will allow for more tractoring, lower operating temp and tollerate lower octane gas if necessary
  6. HuskyMax Husqvarna
    AA Class

7. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

I live and ride between 5,000 and 11,000 feet. The 13:1 piston will not be a problem for me- Im going to think that one over once I get it apart and check tolerances etc.
  8. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you're just going by hours alone, you may not have to rebuild that 450 for quite some time, unless there is an obvious issue like burning oil, low compression, etc, due to some sort of an 'event'(ie. watered out with dirty water, severely overheated.......).

The 450's and 510's can easily go well over 500 hrs. with no issues.
    My 250 has almost 300 hrs. on it and should see 400 or more before rebuild time.
  9. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well I do believe its time for my beloved Italian goddess of the forest to be rebuilt. My 07 510 has accumulated 435 hrs . The last time I rode her, she was pinging when under a slight load in 5/6th gear, quarter throttle on highway at 50mph. When we pulled off the road to checked to see how much coolant I would need,I emptied most of my camelback. \
    The last oilchange before my overheating issue, I have some found some fine metal shavings in the 2 steel prefilters. I have not had any shavings other than after the break-in rides.
    Should I have the cases split and really get her done up right, or should I just do pistons and rings.I am so happy with the reliability of the 510 and dont need more power, I just need another 400hrsl.
  10. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    435 hrs is not that much...how's your compression? Have you done a wet/dry test? A little metal does not mean a rebuilt...was it aluminum or steel? Did you have any stick to the oil plug?

You should be good for a lot more if you have changed oil lots.

:cheers:
  11. Pete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE300
    I have an 05 te450 and i am gonna keep it forever. I ride it every fortnight or month and give it heaps.

I have no idea how many KMs its done (speedo is in the shed) or how many hours. How else can you gauge when the piston is due?

My bike is so reliable and so easy to start and makes heaps of power i am reluctant to touch it, on the other hand i dont want excessive wear. I dont need more power, just years of reliability.

Also whats your range on the 05 510? on my 450 its about 80kms and i am totally out.
  12. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The little metal shavings were steel, I used a magnet and pick to clean the metal filters. There was some smaller shavings on the oil drain plug as well.

I have not done a compression test or a wet/dry test. Whats a wet/dry test? Does that mean if she bogs when on stream crossings? If so, the last time I blasted a stream crossing and made too much fun, the bike did die. Now these are not easy hours on the 510.:smashpc:
  13. ken510 Husqvarna
    A Class

I have an '04 TE 510 that I just put through the rebuild process-piston, rings, main bearings and rod. Heard a little knock when accelerating at low RPM's. We have some great support up here in the North West, so the price was right turn around time was awesome. Turned out very good to say the least. If you are happy with your bike, it's money well spent. I did find all the rivets in my clutch basket were loose, and one was actually missing! Found it stuck to the drain plug, (Whew). I'm looking into upgrading the basket to a bolt on to get rid of the rivets. If I can't find a solution, I'll just rivet it back together and check the basket once a year. If you have an '04-'05, check that basket once in a while!