08 SMR510 popping sputtering mid throttle

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Tepco, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    Coolant sensor and new battery (so I dont have to kick it anymore) did not fix it. I need an Ibeat cable.
  2. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    Yep checked that as well.
  3. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Ok- Yea... I am leaning toward IBeat adjustment (TPS and maybe FB) and you'll be set. If you had ibeat, or had access, or a dealer nearby it would have been one of the first things done rather than the last, but you don't wake up one morning and its "out of adjustment" (I forgot to ask how long you've owned it and the progression of the symptoms..) Hopefully it resolves your issues... right now there's not alot else jumping out at me from your descriptions of symptoms and the things you've checked.
  4. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    I've only had it for a little over a month and although I bought it believing it had no problems, here I am fixing it. So that being said I dont know any progression of the problem.
  5. brandontx Husqvarna
    AA Class

6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    If you list your state, or area, maybe someone will have iBeat near you.
  7. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    That's true, I just saw a craigs list ad from Temple TX, (25 miles from me) a guy saying he has Ibeat and will take $25 an hour to use it at his place. I might ride up there and see if I can trim some fuel out of my profile.
  8. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    I agree, in fact I started a thread asking if anyone had one near me with no response. But just in case I'm located in Greensboro, NC 30min south of the VA line. I also have family in Charlotte and can bring it along if anyone is closer to there.
  9. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    Here is a link to a video, first ride with the JD Tuner. You can hear the issue I'm dealing with at 35 sec area. Ignore the picture it was done on my Droid in my pocket..lol..
    [IMG][/URL][/IMG]Not sure how to post a video so here is the URL.

[IMG]
  10. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    I am really leaning towards TPS adjustment still. (can't say its not it till its eliminated as a factor) Sorry help is not closer to you ;(

Just to be sure...
    the O2 (lambda sensor) is removed from the mid pipe/plug is in its place and the "power up plug" is inserted into the electrical connector?

Throttle body intake manifold (rubber boots) are in good connection and sealing properly.
  11. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    Yes, Lambda removed, PU plug in place and intake boot looks great. I'm working on getting a Ibeat to set it up. I believe I need the Lambda plug in to make adjustments on the 08, which I dont have. Ill have to source one of those. Im going to play with the JD this morning to see If It makes any difference. With the JD on recommended settings, the bike feels the same as with it off..Thought it would make at least a little difference?.. I think I need to start a JD setting database post to see what everyone is setting them to.
  12. brandontx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think I solved my mid throttle sputtering finally. Clogged fuel filter. Bike would run fine sometimes and other times it would idle like crap, be hard to start, and pop and sputter just like you're describing. I took the fuel pump out to inspect it and just decided to cut open the filter to see. It was black so I changed it and rode around for a few and it seems to have solved the problem.
  13. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Yes, black stuff in the filter has been reported. Maybe some tanks were dirtier with this stuff than others. I had one instance of sputtering and attributed it to some bad gas or water in the gas (what the dealer thought was likely the cause).
  14. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS

(Don't need lambda to adjust TPS or richen mixture). Maybe I'm wrong here...http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/08-te510-ibeat-settings.26184/. HVUK IS dealer.

Lambda is narrow band to keep mix lean for emissions
  15. brandontx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I know where my black stuff came from. Silicone sealant used to fix a leak where the pump base meets the tank. I think I put too much on and some of it oozed into the tank and the gas dissolved it and clogged up the fuel filter. Bad thing is I didn't realize it until after I put the fuel pump back on and used RTV to seal it again. I will probably take it back off and use something else to seal it. Any suggestions on what to use?
  16. brandontx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nevermind. Now bike won't even start now. WTF! I'm pretty sure I didn't put the filter on backwards but stranger things have happened. Anything else that would cause it not to start after replacing fuel filter? Starts for a second and then dies.
  17. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    After servicing the fuel pump pod, I put it back in, and the hose on the filter popped off on the first prime, no start after that. Need to pull it out again and have a look.
  18. brandontx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nope it's still on there . I sent you a message about the fuel filter.
  19. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    ?? Post #2 in that link says you have to attach the lambda sensor to make adjustments, (not tps)unless I'm reading it wrong?
  20. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Yes, for the 2008 models you have to plug in the lambda to adjust FB setting, which is a very different procedure than the 2009/2010. However, you can adjust TPS, with Ibeat, on a 2008 w/o hooking up the Lambda sensor, just like a 09/10.