100% Tariff on all European bikes - Husky, KTM, Gas Gas, etc

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Coffee, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Creeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here's a copy of the letter sent by Harley-Davidson Motor Co.
    Remember that they recently bought MV Agusta and have every intention of importing motorcycles made in Italy.

2. SwitchThrottle Husqvarna
    A Class

Wow....Do they really think that our motorcycles will put the pinch on the EU? They should be looking at lower cost items that everyone needs and uses like auto parts.

Never thought I would say this, but....GO HARLEY
  3. Creeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I sent an e-mail to Ryan Young with a copy of Coffee's opening post and the H-D letter... the rest are up to you. :p

C
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Harley has never been in the Tariff game....... Those old Jap bikes were 700cc's for a reason!:busted:
  5. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    I'm in.

Here a copy of the letter I just fired of to them.

Attention: Office of the United States Trade Representative

Regarding: Reclassification of EU motorcycles from Annex 2 products to Annex 1 products.

To whom it may concern:

Reclassifying European motorcycles from a class 2 annex product to a class 1 annex product and therefore raising the tariff by 100% would create a huge economic burden on my friends and family that work in the motor sports industries. Many of these business’s are already in danger of closing their doors because of our current economic conditions. The possibility of doubling the price on the vehicles and parts that they sale would be disastrous and on a national level and it would significantly raise our un-employment rate beyond its current 26 year high.

The possible reclassification would also create a financial burden on myself and others that own and maintain these vehicles.

While I agree that compliance with WTO decisions is important and that we should move in such a way that the European Union will be compelled to comply with the WTO decision regarding the export of U.S. beef; this political and financial maneuvering should not be done in a way that will further harm our economy and further raise our un-employment rate.

Sincerely

Flying Trash Can (just kidding, I signed my real name)
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Harley Davidson have a forum somewhere?
  7. eldgenb Husqvarna
    B Class

Fax Sent,,, So if this does not work,,, does that mean that my motorcycle just doubled in value???
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Not if all the parts have to come from other parts of the world... I sure hope some dealers are mentioning how many people would be out of work. It has been posted on KTMTalk but it is not getting much of a response.
    http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=317535
  9. eldgenb Husqvarna
    B Class

crappy, I will let my local dealer know so that he can get the local husky owners responding.
  10. Creeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nope. I actually pulled that off of a PDF file page, from a link... from the link you posted.

Deep digger, am I. :oldman:
  11. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    If a manufacturer such as Harley, as big and iconic as they are to the USA, strongly opposes it I don't see how the USTR could even consider adding motorcycles to the list of tariffed items. I think Harley's letter is very good. They have clearly presented how this nonsense would do great harm, not only to them but to their very large dealer network as well. It shouldn't take a mental giant to figure out the potential number of jobs that could be lost here. I'm not sure how anyone with a sense for economic stability could disregard it that letter. However, I'll send in a response from the consumer's point of view as well. :professor: :guns a blazin':

Thanks for drawing this to our attention.
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I guess I'm the only one who sees any irony in Harley's position, not that disagree with it.:oldman:
  13. Chop Suey Husqvarna
    B Class

Coffee, I've sucked and saved it as a Word document and can email it to you. It's too long to post in the body of a post here. The Annex I and II are graphic pictures embedded in the Word document, so not sure how those will fair.

Also, I think posting a comment attaches it to the Document ID, so if you’re doing it this way, find a Doc ID that deals with Motorcycles, not mustard or crackers!!
  14. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    Is that just because of their displacement size? They are a prime target for reciprocation by the EU.
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley asked and got a tariff against Japanese motorcycles 750cc+ back when they were really struggling and didn't own Aermacchi anymore. Japs reduced displacements to 700cc to avoid the tariff. Harley has played both sides it seems.:busted:
    Norman
  16. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    posted my comment

I fished around the site and found a way to submit a comment electronically. I went to the main site and did a search on "EC Beef". Then on the left side of the page under Agency click "USTR". On the next page left side again under Document Type you have the Public Submissions and the Notices. Click on the "Notices". You can submit a comment electronically here.

"Comments should be submitted (i) electronically via the Internet at http://www.regulations.gov, or (ii) by fax to Sandy McKinzy at (202) 395-3640. For documents sent by fax, USTR requests that the submitter provide a confirmation copy to http://www.regulations.gov."

You'll get a receipt like this below. It make take tme to show up in the list. I couldn't see mine yet.

Comment Submitted Receipt Thank you. Your comment on Document ID: USTR-2008-0036-0001 has been sent. Your Comment tracking number is 807. . . . . . Attachments:

The electronic comments you submit directly through the Regulations.gov Web site are transmitted to the proper Department or Agency. The Department or Agency receiving your comment is considered the official custodian of the comment. Your comment will not be considered until it has been properly received by that Department or Agency in accordance with the requirements described in the Federal Register document. Users who want to verify that a Department or Agency has received their comment are urged to check directly with that Department or Agency.

Federal Departments and Agencies generally do not acknowledge that they have received specific public comments. However, when a Department or Agency establishes a public docket for a specific rulemaking, public comments are placed in that docket. The Department or Agency will process your comments upon receipt, but the availability of your comments in the public docket will depend on the particular Department or Agency's process.

Once the Agency has posted your comment on Regulations.gov, you can find it by clicking on 'Search for Documents' on the main navigation bar and type your Comment Tracking Number indicated above in the 'Comment Tracking Number' field and click the Submit button.

If you wish to retain a copy of this receipt, click on the Print button below to print a copy for your files.
  17. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    Haha! Makes sense now. I don't usually like to associate with them, but if they are a means to a good end here I'll cozy up. :D
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    webmaster@cafehusky.com or you could attach the doc on a post if it is not too big.

I understand that attaching a comment via the link in the first post directly connects the comment with this issue (Doc ID), not sure what you mean by finding a different doc ID on another issue. There is only 1 issue at the moment.
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    My plan is to call about 4pm EST and ask 'how is everything going?'
  20. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Norm, +1-The irony is evident but it's business. I remember that time and Harley was looking for a leg up after buying themselves. I'm glad they're currently on the same side-didn't like it back then because their competition was what I was interested in...
    Love an MV now:busted:

Just added my .02's worth to the website:
    "I would add comments regarding the 100% tariffs on EU motorcycles with 50-500cc
    engines. European dirtbike and street legal motorcycle sales in the US will never
    survive a 100% increase in pricing.
    1. The tariff cost will increase the typical European motorcycle to $14-16,000.
    This will put these motorcycles beyond the reach of most enthusiasts,
    especially in these difficult economic times.
    2. Most European motorcycles are sold by small shops who cater to enthusiasts.
    As they typically only carry the small volume European manufacturers' brands
    this would force most if not all of these US businesses to close.
    3. There are several small US aftermarket companies that also depend on the
    European motorcycle sales for business. This will severely hinder or eliminate
    their market in the US.
    4. There is currently only one US manufacturer of dirtbikes. Their products
    are boutique high priced products that are not direct competition for most of
    the European products.
    5. The European products fill a niche for economical street legal motorcycles
    not produced by any US manufacturer.
    I submit the tariff on EU motorcycle manufacturers will not have the desired
    effect on the EU. Their volume of business in the US is not significant enough
    to motivate the EU to change their US beef policy. Agricultural imports are the
    best avenue considering the US is a direct competitor in most of not all
    agricultural areas.
    Thank you,
    Peter J Komarek"
    I submitted it through the link you posted Coffee-very easy.