1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st 125, 144, 165, 177 You do all know there is a 250 'off the shelf'

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Crocus Paper, Feb 27, 2014.

1. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Using that logic... Why do people bore out their 250's to 295 or 315? They should just buy a 500, right? Or is there something I'm missing... :cheers:
  2. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    :popcorn:
  3. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    msmith345, Idacurt and Boogie like this.
  4. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph

http://pullman.craigslist.org/mcy/4292949026.html

He said he'd take $1200 back in January. 14 hour drive round trip for me else I'd have it. :cry:
  5. DRS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 165
    Other Motorcycles:
    500 exc
    IMO the 165 is awesome for enduros and trail riding but it's extremely hard to ride at hare scramble pace for 3 hours and not suffer from mistakes that come with a long fatiguing race on a constantly deteriorating race course. i know i could go faster on a 250 with less effort and fatigue. having said that, last season i was 160lbs, had shoulder issues, and my riding fitness was way down; hoping to be stronger this season after rebuilding my shoulder over the winter. perhaps that will make all the difference.... :D
    mantrap likes this.
  6. siaknijustin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 GasGas EC300
    I'd love a modern 500 in enduro trim but unfortunately nobody builds one.
  7. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    the thin line is power to weight to durability to cost, the great thing about the old (italian) 125 was the initial low price which makes the mods viable that and the fact that the bore had alot of extra wall thickness to accept the overbore.any engine performance modifications will have an adverse effect on durability of various components and so decrease long term reliability.everything has a trade off to some level but if you can take a bike of a certain weight to the limit of its components reliability at a low cost then it should out perform anything off the shelf.
    wallybean likes this.
  8. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750

I'm not sure doing this is as popular as it was. 250 2T's produce more than enough power and riders tend to consentrate on better suspension and handling to go quicker. On a 125, riders are always looking for more power, hence the kits. But 177! how close to 250 do you wanna get?

And how well does the rest of the engine that was designed for 125cc power cope before it pops.

Hey GhostRider, that video. What the..........what happened there. I've never seen anything like that before.
  9. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Kawasaki built the KDX 200 and KDX 220 models on the KX 125 bottom end and frame design. They were very durable, even when people put the 240 top end kit on their 220s.
    wallybean likes this.
  10. siaknijustin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 GasGas EC300
    IMHO, the KDX was the best enduro to ever roll out of Japan and I find it tragic that the model wasn't improved upon since the "h series" introduction.
    msmith345, 454x and Dirtdame like this.
  11. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    There's a saying in the auto racing community.
    "It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".
    That's one of the reasons I ride a 125.
    I race MX and run Vet A. I don't win in that class, but I go pretty hard. My style is wide open throttle, high RPM's, and lot's of shifting. Even if I'm not really fast, it sure feels like it :banana:
    If I had a 250, I'd probably kill my self. I don't think I could ride the style I like, with all that power, and that wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
    Now that I'm a little faster, a little older, and a little more responsible with the power, it's nice to have the option of a 144, or 165.
    DRS, marshwater, Idacurt and 2 others like this.
  12. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    makes me wanna sell my 360 for a nimble 125, must admit i never felt the lack of power was there as i could keep up with 250's.

oh and the only time it was lacking is on the road at full tilt, but then i was doing about 70mph and can keep up with cars happly too.
  13. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    A 177 is only halfway between a 125 and a 250. It's an intermediate engine size that shouldn't be considered a stepping stone toward a 250 - it's a final destination for many of us whose style/size/strength favors a small bore over a 250.

With that said - Why does a KTM 350SXF exist? Because people don't want the power or weight of a 450, but they want more power than a 250. The same could be said about a 250 and 125 2stroke. It started with a 144, which many thought to be the perfect engine size, so it's natural to take it a step further with the 165 (or 2 steps in the case of the 177). KTM is making a killling by offering these 'intermediate' engine sizes - look at their lineup! lol.

Simply put - for me, and a lot of other guys, the 125 is too weak, and the 250 is too strong, and we don't want a KTM 200 for a number of reasons. So you can have the best of both worlds, best handling and lightest weight, and the most usable power delivery for your style. The other option is to 'retard' the power of a 250 2 stroke, but then you're sacrificing the handling and weight in favor of a more usable power delivery.

If it's not your style - then don't buy it. :)

I agree with the reliability issues in MOST bikes, but Husky's have seen great results with bored engines due to oversized bottom end components (read Walt's post in the 125/144/165/177 thread).
    Matthew Howard and Motosportz like this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    spot on.
    JRod4928 likes this.
  15. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yamaha IT 125, 175, 200, 250, 490

Kawasaki KDX 175, 200, 220, 400

Suzuki PE 175, 250, 400

There was a time when the 175/200 was a dominate fixture in the enduro scene.

KTM 200 has a loyal cult following, myself included.

There was a reason why Penton developed the 125 and 175 cc for the nasty ISDE's back in the day.

I enjoyed my 250's, but have become faster on the smaller bike. After 3 hours the smaller bike becomes your best friend!
    Matthew Howard and jmetteer like this.
  16. WVdag Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250 W/300 kit, 2013 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 Harley FXLR 10th year edition
    Are crocus paper and I the only ones that are curious the ninja video?
  17. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Local guy who is apparently not wired right in the head. No idea why he likes to hide out, but doesn't seem to be any harm (other than getting run over)

I've had the guy climb out of a hiding spot (buried himself in straw from parking lot construction) 10-15' away from where myself and buddies were sitting on our bikes waiting for the rest of the group. Creepy as hell.
  18. dirt addict Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 cr125
    lol dude got worked a little. It looks like he's a white bald guy from the last second of that clip. Looks like he thought no one would cut that line. He ended up right on the fast line thru there....
  19. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    its in the "kellys ongoing goofy" thread #2207

maybe its an insurance thing " i got hit by a bike!"
  20. WVdag Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250 W/300 kit, 2013 CR125