1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 144 strikes again!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by razornpc, Aug 2, 2010.

1. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

well as we all know i bought a 200 earlier this year, while ive managed to turn it into a bike that is fun to ride it was dirty and in need of a service that i didnt have time for this last week. so it was a no brainer to take the husky up to the OMA race in millville this weekend.

rode up there saturday with a group of friends. we all got to know each other last year since we are in the same class and we all had the lead in point for harescrambles at 1 point or another last year. we all got new bikes this year, KTM 250 xc-w and RM250f respecfully. so when i showed up with the husky i knew i was going to be on the receiving end of a good amount of greif. they didnt let me down there, most of the way up to millville i heard comments about breaking plastic (deserved) is that a steam engine?, whats a husqvarna? the list goes on.

fast forword to race time sunday. adam, (250xc-w) is in the open B class a row ahead of cyle (RM) and I in the lite B class so he already has a minute head start. on top of that hes a pretty solid rider. so we are quite sure we wont be seeing adam again. cyle is a very solid MX tracker, and millville has a big MX section. im a very poor MX'er a decent woods rider. so i figured cyle and me would batle it out in the woods after he MX track.

the race starts. i get my typical terrible start, i think ive had 2 good starts in the 2 years ive ben racing. enivdently cyle didnt get much of a better start then i did though (suprising). but ounce we got to the big table top he really started to pull away from me. be the end of the first woop section he had completly disappeared from my sight. i rode it out, they had a couple of monster (IMHO) step ups that i desided to try and clear and didnt have any problems with.

after the MX track we went on to the quad track that was run the day before for about 3/4 of a mile. wide twisty, hilly woods with a little bit of a grass track section. lots of rocks and dust so you had to be ready for the unexpected. from there went into single track, finally i might catch cyle. sure enough the first steep rocky slick hill climb i find cyle about 1/2 way up the hill with a stalled bike. i pass him as i blaze up the rocky brown monster. go on to the log crossing section that was basicly 2 miles of big logs every 400 feet or so, with a couple on side hills or fast lines (easy if you carried any speed). the first big log i get hung up on, have to dismount and pull the bike over. as im doing that i se the RM blast over the log and continue don the trail, DAMN! i get back on my steed and begin the chase. sure enough i catch him at the next log and in the same possition that i was just in! i zip over the log this time and make some head way before im hung up again, this time with just my front end hanging over the log and still on the bike. i deside to back up and pin it. it works and im bounced over the barkless timber. at that point i know i saw a yamaha get past me and maybe another bike on another line that i saw which was easier then the one took. so im not sure if the RM made it passed or not.

the next 4 laps were spend looking for the smoothest lines as the course was deply rutted after the first lap. did a good job of staying out of the unnecisary ruts and staying in the smoother flatter lines. hasd 1 really good dismount and as luck would have it, right in front of my GF and adams wife both with cameras. :lol: this was on a long twisty black dirt/muddy down hill.

i never saw the RM again, so i figured either he was taking better or the same lines i was in the woods and then pulling on me on the MX track or he never got around me. and still never saw any signs of Adam on the KTM.

the last lap. was still feeling prety good, a little tired but all in all pretty good, able to push atleast. so i did. pusged as hard as i could stand on the MX track, on to the quad trail whick i wrapped to little bike up tight then put it in 5th gear and used the mid to keep the pace nice and steady. got to the single track and took all the line i had been taking all day. just staying smooth and consistant on the throttle. after the last side hill rock section, about 3/4 to the end of the lap i see Adam aboard his KTM just sitting on the side of the trail. i have to do a double take. it was him, even with a minute head start i had managed to catch him. i holler at him as im ready for a battle, we had several duals last year, so i poor on the coals and start nailing the good lines i had been using all day. i knew i didnt have much room left so i had to be sure of where i was putting the bike. i get to the last open section and the whole time i never heard the KTM behind me but i wasnt about to let up in the open. i get to the ditch that lead to the last rock/sand woop section where i let the little motor scream like a banshee and blow through the sand and rubble. make it to the 3rd to last corner and back onto the MX track and hit a double, clear it. 2 more corners and the day was done.

i get back to the pits and find a RM already sitting there and cyle nowhere around. either he had the big lead on me like i though he might or they pulled him off the last lap. as im taking my gear off Cyle comes walking up, i guess he nver saw me again after i passed him on the last log. Adam pulls in shortly after completely exhausted. had to get him some water to cool off.

i finished 5th small B, i think thats my best HS finish all year. got a nice OMA plaque!

Oh, and i never heard another word about having brought the husky out for a wekend of riding over the 200. :excuseme:
  2. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Good stuff!
  3. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

That was an awesome race report! I love the fact that you have a KTM, but still love your Husky.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That was some good reading and congrats on your finish. LOL I hear the same crap when I take my CR125 to the MX track. I wish Husky would make a light weight 200 to do battle with the KTM.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Awesome report, we need more of that here. :cheers: 144's ROCK. Mine gets underestimated all the time. Love it. :D
  6. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Every time we stopped riding yesterday...a group of bikes would roll up and every time i would get: "How do you like that thing? Looks light!"

By the end of the day my buddies said..."Nobody asks us how our japanese bikes are."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They really should of known what was going to happen to them, they were just in denial !
  8. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    Nice race report. Just remember, when you beat them on a small machine make comments about how you beat them even with the power disadvantage, when you beat them on a big bike make comments about how you beat them even having to deal with the extra weight and slow handling, and whatever you do, don't ever ride a 200-300cc bike or you'll lose all bragging rights.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the best part is sitting at the top of a nasty hill eating and taking pix of the "big" bikes trying to clear it. :cheers:
  10. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

a bit late for that, either way we know whos "faster in the tight woods". :D
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Good report - cheers - arent you glad you havent sold it ?
    so you had better results on 144 than the 200? Less tiring ?

I particulary hate Honda riders that think their CRf450x is the most reliable bike on the planet .. actually feels like a tank to ride
  12. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    How many times do I have to tell you, the only reason he didn't make that hill is because you went up first polishing it up and making it too slick for anyone else to climb :D
  13. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

well ive had good luck at enduros with the 200, havent done a hs on it since ive done some top secret/dark magic mods to the orange n' blue bike.

yes the 144 leave you with way more gumption at the end of the day.

having fun on the both, just dont like doing enduros on the 144 because of top end longevity problems :(. still love ringing its neck all day though!
  14. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good Job!! Good results and having fun at the same time!! I like it! I remember when my buddy with his 2010 ktm 300 (with ohlins forks and shock) asked me why II would by a smallbore. He didn't say much later that day! Besides on a smallbore if I lose I can make excuses!! The thing is a win win I think. Wish I could get to millville, been many years for me (5) hour drive. Good Job! If you keep the ktm maybe you should buy my orange dodge!! Looks like a ktm truck, but Never while I own it. I have not done a hare scramble in a long time but might go to crosby next weekend and give it a try!
  15. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Are these longevity issues particular to your bike? or the particular 144 kit you have ? Eric Gore kit isnt it? I havent heard that that was an issue much before
  16. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

its due to the port work that gorr did. it is what it is. you have port work done and it takes away contact surface for the ring and then the piston and ring wear faster. nature of the beast, plane and simple.

not talking down eric at all. hes very helpful if you ever have questions or need tuning advise.

id love to get my grubby paws on a husky cylinder and do an honest to goodness comparison.
  17. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

i know bluehusky144 ran his at some national enduros when he had the EG144 not sure what all he did with his.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    you were half way up before i passed you sucka. Was talking in generalizations. ;)
  19. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

and what kind of fun would it be if you couldnt give your buddies abit of a ribbing after a days riding :busted:
  20. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    Yeah, we have to give Jake crap when we can because the guy never loses his cool or fails to make a climb so when I catch him doing both I can't let him forget :)

Nobody gives me crap when it happens to me because it's such a common occurrence it's not worth mentioning.