1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 150SX v. CR 144 v. YZ144

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by TXC&KTM, Sep 19, 2010.

?

Which Small Bore 2T?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2010.
2010 150sx ($5k) 15 vote(s) 50.0%
2008 CR125 ($3k) + add BB 7 vote(s) 23.3%
2006/7 YZ 125 ($2k) + add BB 5 vote(s) 16.7%
Other 3 vote(s) 10.0%
  1. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi all. I have an interest that brings a dilemma. That interest is two strokes. Before the questions, some info about me:

6' 180 Lb. 33yo Novice rider/wrench. Just getting back to bikes in the last two years (20 yr hiatus). Had a couple 4Ts and a TXC right now...but I want a light and nimble track bike, fun to ride, fairly easy/inexpensive to work on. Oh, and I've NEVER ridden a 2T! But I'm willing to put the work into learning.

I got the TXC expecting to find myself riding more trails, but have since found myself on tracks (because they are closer...SoCal). So while I wanted the TXC to do everything, I now find myself in search of a track bike and perhaps a TE (250/310). The 08 TXC is NOT a track bike lol!

This brings me to the title of this thread. I think a 144cc bike would be ideal from what i've read and given my size. I have the opportunity to get each of the following:

1) a new 2010 150sx for $5200
    2) an 08 CR 125 with one ride on it for $3k
    3) one of many 2006/7 YZ 125s for about $2k

The last two I would want to BB to 144.

Again, I basically missed the entire 2T experience (my lone bike as a youngster was an xr80), so I have little to go on here. I like the ideas of simplicity, weight savings, cost, and fun factor...

Any feedback, including "stick with 4Ts you freaking idiot":busted:, would be welcome...

TIA
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I don't race on tracks but might just comment on two strokes in general. On wants to avoid high revs with little or no load. Often preious owners of 125 size bikes are young and don't understand this. Strangely the powervalves for that yamaha 125 are more money to buy than the ones for the Husky. The powervalve design for the yamaha and husky are similar at least looking at the parts sheets. The cylinder for the Yamaha is quite reasonable in cost from bikebandit and other similar internet shopping options, I didn't have to buy a husky cylinder so I don't know what they cost. The ktm option is the only way you will end up with a stroke slightly longer than the bore at least that is my understanding.

Fran
  3. sasrocks Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had an 05 YZ125 I rode in the woods. It was light light light and wanted to run like a young colt. In the open it was loads of fun. In the tight stuff it was a lot of revving and clutch work. Had to keep wringing it out, if I let it idle it would foul a plug. Dont know how much the BB would have helped.

I think a WR125 (I know its not one of your choices) stock would be more tractable and any 144 would be as well. The 150SX seems like it would be a bit pipey like the YZ based on it being an SX. They have a 150XC that might be better.
  4. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow, great info. I think the order of my choices betray my preferences. I'd like to stay with Husky. Dealer support won't be a problem (I live 15mins from George of UpTite) How are the Zokes on the CR? Is the 09 and beyond frame much better?
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think the TXC 250 is a good track bike. Not a lot of people do tracks on 125's any more. The SX150 is probably going to be the best track bike but i would be tempted by a 2K YZ125 if in good shape. Thats cheap and they are good bikes. All three will do what you want. In the end it is up to the rider how "fast" you will be on each. I bet your laps times will not be faster on the 125/150 especially as it is an entirely different approach to riding your TXC. But the 125/150 will ultimately be more fun. Confused yet?
  6. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think I'm following you. My TXC is a bit of piggy though. Going to try some things to shave the weight off before I'm tempted to move it. I sorely miss my SXF when I'm on the track; it had more power/bottom and less weight. And your right--it's only about every third track day that I see ONE 2t out of 50 bikes...Also, starting over on 2t will have quite a learning curve, I imagine...

thanks
  7. sasrocks Husqvarna
    AA Class

completely misread your intended purpose. For the track I would go with the YZ all day long. $2K is about the going rate. The 05+ aluminum frame is the final word in 125 MX bikes. The suspension is magical. Overall, they can't be beat.
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    No doubt. For moto only I'd jump at an 06+ YZ with the SSS forks.
    Dime a dozen, lots of knowledge and lots of cheap parts available.

My buddy has an 05' and it's a hoot. Super light, surprisingly powerful and handles like its on rails. Makes my 250's feel like bloated porkers!
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    The 150 SX is a screamer on the track. We raced an '08 144 SX and an '09 150 SX and both of them were screamers. If you go with a 150SX, be careful to make sure it has the fork recall done. Also, there are still reports of the '09's melting pistons like the '07 and '08's. Both our '08 and '09 held up well without issues.

We also raced a 2009 Cr 125 that was a great bike too, but the KTM 150 was stronger across the board. I wish Husky would hurry up and release the 2011 CR 150's. I'm sure they'll compete well with the KTM 150.
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If you want to know how well a CR 125 does both at winning races and staying together Then just ask George how well my Cr has been Plus what little work he had to do to it after 4 years of racing and 2 National # 1 plates in to different age groups As for the Zokes they are the best when set up Ty Davis from Zip Ty racing has all the setting direct from the factory and can do your forks
  11. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the feedback. IIRC, you and yours moved from the SXs to the TCs. How has that transition been? Any thoughts of going back? If you've addressed this on another thread, feel free to just drop the link.

If I went with the 150sx, I'd be in for a new 2010. Were the piston problems sorted by then? And what was the rebuild time on your SXs?
  12. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Will do the next time I'm in there. I've been toying with the idea of sending Ty my txc forks. Which year frame did you have, and does the new one markedly improve performance?
  13. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    We transitioned to the TC 250 this spring with great results. Cody came off the 2009 150 SX. It took a few practice sessions for him to get comfortable with the TC, but it paid off. He has been consistently getting podiums and won his first ever overall. He has no thoughts about going back to a 2 stroke at this time. We're waiting to see what the verdict is on the 2011 TC 250 with EFI. That may be our next race bike if it proves to be as bullet proof as the 2010 TC 250.

Regarding the piston issues on the KTM's... the 2009 150's had a few reports of similar problems as the '07 and '08. The 2010 models... even less. I think KTM has the 150 finally figured out. I'd buy a 2010 without even thinking about it. It is an absolute SCREAMER.

As I've said before, I can't wait to hear about the 2011 Husky CR 150... based on our experience with the 2009 CR 125, I'll bet the CR 150 will rip the face off the KTM.
  14. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I lll put one in for the YZ - I think it depends on budget but if cost an issue a good s/hand YZ would be my pic. I dont even think it would need the 144 kit .
    Id recommend having a few rides to see if you like riding 2T - you may feel slow on one .
    It will take some practise to get the most out of it
    You will find that a 4 stroke will be easier to go quick on straight away
  15. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Get the yz. I bought my 05 to follow my kid around so I did not have to use my 08 ktm 300xcw for "non-race use". I have not ridden the ktm much since and have never ridden the yz with my kid. I am way faster on single track with the yz geared for it with a 53 on the rear. Top speed is only around 60 but it gets to it! Jetting is easy compaired to the wr125(09) I have and it is easy on fuel which is a big issue in the woods. Does not foul plugs ever if running 35 pilot. It runs like a 125 should; get one and add flywheel weight if needed and I am shure it is better than any other 125. This coming from a non brand loyal guy. Proof? My car is a mustang with an ls2 vette engine-nuff said.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I vote for the 08 CR125 then as suggested have the 144 Factory kit installed when it's needed. I have the 08 CR125 and it's a blast. I've ridden a friends YZ125 and I perfer the Husky any day over it. The YZ power was peakier and the bike didn't handle as well for me. The brakes, clutch, transmission, and seating are also better on the Husky IMO. Hey guys he's asking about a CR not a WR so he won't have any jetting/bog issues. Go luck either way they a light weight FUN bikes.
  17. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry, I agree not as MANY bog issues from what I have read on these pages; wr vs. cr. However, everone who has ridden someones friends 125 needs to tell the guy which year. Makes a huge impact on the yz if 04 and older. I once rode a freinds 1982 yz125(in 84).
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well my friends YZ is a 07 all stock except for pipe & silencer. I do agree the older YZ's like most bikes was not as good as the newer ones. The newer YZ's are good bikes but I just like the Husky's better.
  19. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Fair enough. I hope to get my wr to the point were I like it as well. About to get started tuning/testing on the dyno at my shop for some real wr125 answers. Going to try the stock needle and the rm125 needle like a guy posted on Saturday as being the fix. Why can I not find the Post tab? Want to start a new thread with my findings.
  20. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Go with the 2010 150, but not the orange one. A 2010 Husky WR125 with an OEM 144 on it. Besides, you deserve a new bike ... you know you do!:thumbsup: