1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 150SX v. CR 144 v. YZ144

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by TXC&KTM, Sep 19, 2010.

?

Which Small Bore 2T?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2010.
2010 150sx ($5k) 15 vote(s) 50.0%
2008 CR125 ($3k) + add BB 7 vote(s) 23.3%
2006/7 YZ 125 ($2k) + add BB 5 vote(s) 16.7%
Other 3 vote(s) 10.0%
  1. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

WR 144 for part-time MX duty?

I do deserve a new bike, don't I:busted:
  2. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes you do!! (we all do...:thumbsup:)

And yes to the WR144. The OEM 144 kit is the same for the CR or WR. Plus, you'll have spare lights and a lighting coil if you want to wander out into the trails near sunset... That can't be bad, right?
  3. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok. I have another opportunity. thanks for all the feedback btw...been taking my time with this decision. I have spotted a pair of little used 04 CR 125s for about $1500 each...Can the 08 jug be fitted to this model? Is the 08 that much better?
  4. roostafish Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 KTM 350 XCF
    All good bikes. Vote with your wallet. If the CR is new for $3k. Easy decision. If the YZ is in meticulously cared for condition. No brainer! Bottom line, they'll all go around the track the same speed, with similar effort. I wouldn't bother with big bore kits.
  5. roostafish Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 KTM 350 XCF
    Again, that '04 will circle the track in the same amount of time. As long as it's in great shape. I do mean GREAT shape too. You don't want a clap trap. Suspension service aint cheap, and the YZ has easily $500 better suspension than any '04 anything.
  6. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

thanks. I'm slowing coming to the conclusion "there's no bad choice". I do want something that I can repair, build, mod, tinker with...I'd like to learn the mechs of the 2t.
  7. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    If you like Huskies go for the cr
    I did try a YZ for a while and although it was quick I like the build quality and style of the Husky
    But as previous post said you are better off getting something in reall good nic even if you have to spend small amount more, Id say 08 would be the max age and the 5 port head is better
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    yer comparing apples, oranges and banana's. and, you've been off 20 years and never ridden a two-stroke so....

spend as little as possible on same in case ya cant live with it.
    seriously, spend didly!

lap times depend on the rider more than anything. not the bike. the bike has little to do with it, esp at this stage. kids whipping by and over your (rather, my) head on the big tables on 80's is proof of that. (i hate those micro-bonzais :lol:) my buddy is also pretty fast in novice on an ugly '87 RM 250 modified for trail riding. he aint very popular with the bling-bike crowd. :lol: but he rips and can make everything at Perris, Milestone, Gorman MX, Glen Hellen etc. with ease.

and as said earlier, totally forget about the big bore. at least untill yer lap times come way down and you actually need more power to win and stay with the top 5. a 10% increase in power is no guarantee of a 10% decrease in your lap times. in fact, more power = more fatigue in most cases. esp if you aint ready to win or move up a class.

sorry- just my .02 and YMMV! :D
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    oh yeh- pull the pipe on all used 2-strokes and look at the piston BEFORE you buy it. take 5 mins and you can see a LOT of what has been going on and what youll be in store for.