1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 165 kit

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by K.Forte', Aug 6, 2013.

1. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
  2. husky195 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Wr165 2013 wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 TM250 1995 TM125
    To get the 165 kit to run right in Australia you need to modify your head. the fuel we have here is different to what they have in America. I had the same issues when I built an eric gorr 144 back in 2007 and had to modify the head to get it right. I have got my 2013 wr165 running perfectly on 95 octane with the standard carb and a 0.5 base gasket with head mods. I have tried all sorts of fuel,base gasket,jetting combos but nothing seemed to solve the detonation issues. I have built 2 bikes this way and both run perfectly
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Yes that's right. We are getting the modified heads. Walt tracked down some 08 Cr heads which allowed for more to be taken out the top whilst keeping a nice approx. 1mm squish band thickness.
  4. husky195 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Wr165 2013 wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 TM250 1995 TM125
    Walt is sending me a head next week to compare with mine. The second kit I did in May was different but still wasn't right and I am guessing this is what you guys have.
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    There is a similar set up for the Slavens 300 kit that has an Aussie version called "The Kangaroo" - designed for our fuel
    I am looking forward to testing it out
    I still think I will run 98 though . Any thoughts on this>? Some say lower octane fuels may work better
    Motosportz likes this.
  6. husky195 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Wr165 2013 wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 TM250 1995 TM125
    Everyone tells me to 95 as it runs cleaner. I think it has something to do with the additives in 98. It will be interesting to see what the 08 head looks like compared to my 13. I will keep everyone posted on what I find
    Motosportz and shawbagga like this.
  7. husky195 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Wr165 2013 wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 TM250 1995 TM125
    Finally got the 08 head off Walt and compared it to mine. I went for a ride and there was no detonation. The power was a bit different and with mine having a smother broader delivery compared to walts which hit a bit harder but not a huge difference. I was running the bike on 95 octane at 40:1. My jetting specs were 460 main,35pilot, 5.0 slide, rm needle second clip from bottom. I have set up another bike with the same head mods as mine but used the standard husky needle second clip from the bottom, 460 main , 40 pilot, 4.0 slide. It runs better with the rm needle. The squish was about the same on both at 1.0mm, but walts had about 10psi more comp and I was running a 0.5 base compared to 0.8
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Yeah I got mine but not had chance to ride it yet
    Needs a decent ride to test it
    Compression has gone up to 195 with .8 gasket
  9. husky195 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Wr165 2013 wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 TM250 1995 TM125
    What was it before? Mine was at 240 and walts was 250 . The original kit Walt sent me had 270psi.
  10. robj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KX/KDX200 hybrid
    I'm guessing the fuel in NZ is the same as in Aus. What's the general opinion on 95 vs 98? Is there any difference in performance or engine wear? I'm currently using 98 with a 40:1 full synthetic mix.
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    You sure - that sounds very high
    My cr 150 is 165 psi which is good
    My 125 was lower

I rode mine today with modified head and i think most of detonation is gone
    It's running a lot richer now though so i need to look at jets
    Power has dropped a bit but that may be the jetting being off
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    250 and 270 PSI???? Is that right? seems WAY high.
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Some how it is a gauge discrepancy. With a verified gauge I can kick until I am blue in the face and not get more than 195 on my slightly high compression set up. Given a 10% gain for altitude that would be ~215 psi at sea level. With the much larger bowl of the Aussie head, I am getting ~165-170 at my altitude. 240 psi will not run on our pump premium on anything I test with my gauge. 215 will not run on our pump premium without some issues.
    rockdancer likes this.
  14. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165

Agreed - some people get caught up on these compression numbers. But what's important is that with YOUR gauge, you do a compression test at rebuild (after it's been broken in), and compare that baseline psi value to what you get down the road using the same gauge. Then figure out what percentage drop is allowable before a rebuild is needed.
  15. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    My 165 is 195psi and though it is higher than before ( I think it was 170 which seems to be opposite to you Walt - unless I was mis-read it first time ) it hasn't made it more powerful - but as I said I need to get jetting sorted

I have spooge coming out around spark plug - I will check the torque and try 18lb
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The 195 would be in the range with what I am seeing. All these are slightly different as they are done individually and not on a CNC machine. As all the kits vary slightly because all the pre-porting(exhaust and rear transfer) is done by human hand and eye, it is not unusual for one to make slightly more or less compression than another. The exhaust height and power valve fit are all going to be slightly different. Most, all things being equal would take a dyno to measure the difference in output. I am porting an existing cylinder that is going to be 8mm wider when done. I want the ports very close so that I have less chance of compromising the lining when doing final clean up. Another area of discrepancy is that I have a bench motor that I use to measure all heads for machining. There is no guarantee that my bench motor is exactly the same as the riders motor. They will be very close but I have seen differences in what I measure on the bench versus what the rider is seeing on his motor. Husky195 is measuring a squish gap on the head I sent him that is almost .1mm tighter than I had on my bench motor. I don't question his measurement at all that is just the nature of these motors.

By the way, A huge thank you to Husky195 for helping me work out what will work for the Aussie riders. You really do have a different world over there and I want to come visit and ride! :D
  17. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    By the way, A huge thank you to Husky195 for helping me work out what will work for the Aussie riders. You really do have a different world over there and I want to come visit and ride! :D[/quote]

somewhere in between is Cambodia (if you take the right direction) and you are welcome here :thumbsup:

Robert-Jan
  18. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    yes come over and visit the sunshine coast you are most welcome - I have a spare bike - so bring your riding gear
  19. husky195 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Wr165 2013 wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 TM250 1995 TM125
    I checked with the guy that machined my head and he got the same compression figures that I got so who knows who is right or wrong. i think you need to look more at the differences in the numbers not the numbers themselves. I have done 2 165 kits and one has a 0.8 base and the other has a 0.5 to get the same squish which shows the variations in cyclinders so everyone will be slightly different. don't forget that I am comparing a 165 that runs on aussie fuel to one that we are trying to get to run on our fuel.

come over and visit anytime Walt. I am about an hour out of Sydney and have a mx track in my backyard and endless single trail 10 minutes up the road.
    wallybean likes this.