1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 167 kit... can hurt people apparently...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wallybean, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Really looking forward to your report...
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

JS,

I am going to give that Mahle forged piston some time to seat. George recommended 2-3 gas tanks before I run it hard. Can I put 200 miles on the motor in 1 day?:confused: I will definitely be on the gas at some point and report.

Walt
  3. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds good. My wife would kill me if I put a big bore kit in her bike. I may have to sneak it on. On the other hand, she was already talking about taking my TC250 when I get tire of it...hmm.

JS
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I stayed up late tonight after a long day and put the 167 together. I have attached a few pics that will kind of put it all in perspective. The first is a picture of the kit. George includes a spacer plate and 2 base gaskets to raise the cylinder so that the taller 167 piston works. Nice stuff and it bolted together extremely easily.

The next picture shows the 3 cylinders in a line with the 144 in the middle flanked by the 167 and the 06 125 cylinder. You can see a spare 144 piston in the picture to compare to the size of the 167 to. I don't have a 125 piston.

The 3rd pic shows the cylinders from the bottom and you can really appreciate how much meat has come off that bone. You can also really see the difference in the 09 cylinder to the other two.

The last pic shows the look down into the exhaust port of the 09 144. You can see the tooling bores for the exhaust power valve and how close it is to the cylinder surface after being bored to 58mm. Kelly's pics show much more meat in this area on the OEM 144 Kit.

Started 1st kick and I put a couple of idling and suttle blips type of heat cycles. Took a very easy scoot around the house for 10 minutes and shut if off for the night. First thing you notice kicking it over is that it has more squish than the 144/125. I will take a compression test tomorrow night when I have a chance. In the very limited riding at only very slight throttle openings it felt like it is going to be a very strong runner on the bottom. At least as much more as going from the 125 to 144. I had to be carefull because my initial impression is that it revs just as fast as the 144 and wanted to go haul some bacon.

More tomorrow when I get some more time on it.

Walt

Attached Files:

oladale13 likes this.
  5. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Neat. I assume that you provided the pre-'08 cylinder? What's the cost of the kit/service George provides versus the oem 144 kit?
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Dfeckle,

Total for the kit from George including shipping was $562. An older CR/WR 125 cylinder and powervalves will probably run you about $100 to $200 depending on condition. The one I used for this was an old cylinder, etc. that Hall's had that was hammered and needed a re-lining. It doesn't really matter how hammered the cylinder is because you will be boring at least 1/8" past any surface scratching. :lol: The new pre 08' cylinder in the pictures is a cylinder and piston kit that was being sleabayed by Heinen's as new out of stock. I paid ~$400 for the entire kit and sold the piston kit which is the same as the current 125 piston kit. So assuming you can pick up an old cylinder for $200 or so then you are about the same as an OEM 144 kit. The only caveat is that you will have to buy replacement pistons and rings from George at Uptite. He has plenty in stock to make availability a moot point. George went to great lengths to point out that the piston will last "years" at Kelly like use and abuse. The ring is an inexpensive Item that will last at least a year.

Put another half hour on the motor and my initial impressions haven't changed. One concern for me is that I need a 14T CS sprocket so I don't have to go smaller than a 49 on the rear. 13X50 gearing is to low!!! A couple little banks and stuff that I normally can putz up on the bottom in 2nd with the 144 is now not even lugging the 167 off idle in third. Haven't opened it up at all yet but bottom and mid are very strong and seamless transition with the power valve linkage adjusted all the way to the bottom. :thumbsup:

More as I get some real time on it. I hope to go for a real ride on it Monday or Tuesday evening.

Walt
  7. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow, the cylinder's walls on the 167 are awfully thin! I don’t imagine the longevity will be that great.:(

That middle cylinder looks just like my ‘08 CR (except the diameter).

Are there no stroke kits for the Husky’s?
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

BillO

Yes the cylinder is as thin as I would want to go. Reports are that the cylinder width isn't a problem for any of the guys that have had the kit. I haven't opened it up at all but even if it had no top it will be a killer trail bike as is.

Your 08 CR cylinder is the same as all the 09 and later models. I have checked a lot of parts books and the cylinder for 01 through 06 CR and WR's are the same except the WR has vents for the power valve chamber and the CR has plugs. The 07's don't list a part number for just the cylinder and the 08's are the new model.

Walt
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good stuff, look forward to more reports. :thumbsup:
  10. hipsterdufus Husqvarna
    A Class

wow i didnt even know they made this kit, wish i would have kept my 04 cr125 now
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    they don't really, it is a Walt / George experiment I believe but maybe George has built some before ???
  12. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

George has had this kit since like 2005 or so.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Oh, did not know that. :thumbsup:
  14. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Actually since 1998
  15. speedkills Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    CR500AF
    Up-tite: Proving width is more important than length since 1998.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice :thumbsup: Good to know the options.
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

George,

Thanks for replying. Please feel free to chime in about anything or point out anything stupid that I am doing.

Kelly,

I have talked to one guy over at TT that had one of these kits. I don't know how many George has done but he has it pretty well detailed out at this point.

I am skating from work early tomorrow for its first real ride. I have about 2 hours on it now just putzing around the property. I do know that the Motoz Terapactor rear that I thought was still hooking up after almost 800 miles, is not so much now. I am changing tires before the weekend. Still great wear out of their lightest weight soft MX tire.

Walt
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I went for my first real ride today. It worked flawlessly even though I was taking it very easy. I must say that the 167 will motor up some serious climbs at 4-5000 rpm. Towards the end of the ride I was letting it rip a little after ~25 miles of low end cruising. It definitely revs out and pulls much better than I expected. :cheers: Unfortunately at about the 27 mile mark I got upclose and personal with a nicely shaped rock and flew over the bars and seperated my shoulder. :thumbsdown::cry: Limped it the 12 miles to the truck and now I won't be riding for a few weeks at best. It is still up in the air if the docs think I need surgery. They want more tests tomorrow.

Walt
  19. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Walt, THAT SUCKS. I really hope it's not serious enough to require surgery. Heal up quickly.
  20. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I think it's hard to polish up the bike with a separated shoulder. You may have to get a volunteer rider. Joe Chod might fly out there....;)