1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    No that's not mine! I was just having lil fun! Those shocks gonna be sharp on the bike.
  2. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's

I'm not sure i believe you! it's very tidy!:thinking:
    dartyppyt likes this.
  3. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Got a flu shot last night and today I felt to crappy to work, well my real job.
    After talking some Tylenol and sleeping in I felt well enough to putz with the Husky.

So I turned to in the carburetor. I placed it in the ultrasonic cleaner then made sure all the little ports were clear. Put all the correct size jets and bits in then mounted it to the bike.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

The air cleaner strap was busted as you can see. I had an extra longer strap so I'll cut it and add the 6mm elongate hole. That should have this part of the project done.
    SteveJ likes this.
  4. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    Shocks are in the mail USPS.
  5. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Hooya!

Soon as they get here I'll mount them up and post some photos. Thanks again Scott!
    On the down hill stretch.

I picked up a couple of extra shifts and ordered the fenders yesterday.

Saw two countershaft pullers on eBay, maybe I can win one of them.
  6. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Scott, I recieved the shocks this afternoon and they look killer.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    manu, Chayzed Pilot, markt2 and 3 others like this.
  7. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Very nice work MarkVMod0! Can't wait to see it finished!

And yes, Scott is the man when it comes to Curnutts! Hope to get a set for my latest project soon.
  8. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    I'm suprized you got them that quick. The bike is looking real sharp. :thumbsup:
  9. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    MarkVmod, You mentioned early on in this thread that you suspected the ignition might be bad on this 450. I think you also said you were sending it off to Vance. I'm curious what developed with the ignition. I'm assuming its the stock Motoplat. Did you need to replace it or was it okay?
  10. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I never got satisfactory readings so I sent the Motoplat to Vance and he replaced a coil. I have it back on the engine but have yet to time the system. I have it closely set just to test and there is a spark when I kick it over. Not being familiar with the motoplat I can't comment on the quality of spark but it look anemic to me.

I cleaned all my engine to frame and coil to frame mount surfaces to bare metal and still no improvement. Once I am ready to fire it up I will know if the spark is sufficient or not.
  11. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The reason I asked was because I'm dealing with a weak Motoplat spark on the same bike so I was hoping you found an inexpensive source (i.e. less than $200) to fix the stock Motoplat.

I've looked at the many different makes of after market ignitions and its quite discouraging to say the least. Theres little info on what after market unit is recommended for a 72 Husky. I don't think a light weight internal rotor is a good for this year of 450 as maximum HP is obtained at 5000 RPM. These motors need to build up to their respected RPM slower than the later model 390's, 430's and 500's so as to not experience excessive rear wheel spin, not to mention RPM's higher than 5000 is just going to lessen motor durability/reliability.

The heavier external flywheel after market units are as high as $575 with tax and shipping :eek:. I saw on here that someone paid $600 for a Power Dynamo.

Electrex World recommends the internal rotor. I'm currently attempting to find out what that rotor weighs compared to my stock flywheel, which is about 2.35 lbs.

The PVL is reasonable at around $400 but the pictures I've seen show the internal rotor. Plus I've seen some poor reviews.

The 72 450cr has a unique stub shaft that was used on Huskys for only a couple of years. At this point I think this makes the ignition selection pretty narrow.

I wouldn't trust a used Motoplat either unless I knew it worked and I could get it for $50.

How I wish it had a Femsa instead of a Moto-Splat :D .
  12. Joe Husky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC 400
    I'd say you are better off with the Moto-Splat than the SEM (Seldom makes electricity) I saw a not a bad looking Motoplat on Ebay yesterday for a reasonable price.
  13. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I've checked out many Motoplats on Ebay but I don't know enough about them to determine if ignitions off other motorcycle brands will fit a 72 450. Also, when it comes to electrical stuff sellers typically don't allow returns and I don't blame them.

I have noticed that some Motoplat models are made for the opposite direction of rotation than a Husky. Probably because they're mounted on the left hand side of the bike they came off of.
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    when checking the motoplat for spark, are you kicking over the bike with a good sharp kick like you are trying to start it? spark may be small but should be blue..do you have a kill hooked up? if so it could be grounding slightly..
  15. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    These are good things to check for. I'm able to get a pretty good kick because of my height (long leg syndrome). When checking spark via the spark plug its not as blue as the Femsa's I've checked over the years. With this in mind, its my understanding that a weak spark can be problematic when under compression. So I think the ignition has seen better days. As for the kill button, I have it hooked up to the blue coil lead with a bullet connector so I'm able to easily disconnect it when testing for spark.

These early 70's five speed big bores are hard to start as it is, a weak spark certainly doesn't help the situation.

This ignition looks almost new. Goes to show the risk involved with buying a used one that look really nice.
  16. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    and i have a motoplat that i have run for a looong time that looks awful. its missing chunks of potting and under my ownership has been on 3 motors. still has a bright-ass blue kernal! looks do not tell the story with ignitions, thats for sure. especially the sems that look new and dont work at all.
    Crashaholic likes this.
  17. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Good information. I'll have to wait to pass judgement until after I have this bike running. I think I paid $220 for the testing and rewind.

I keep looking at the stuff on eBay but that's been a real Crap shot for me....and I am not ready to blow any more money there.
  18. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Maybe I spoke to soon....I need a counter shaft sprocket puller. There are two on eBay and I can get one from the HVA factory but shipping kills the deal. 35 British pounds is about $55 US. I can't justify that shipping cost.
  19. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    When you had Vance diagnose your Motoplat did he check the magnetic strength of the flywheel or at least comment on whether or not that's important? I've seen articles in the past that claim it can add to a weak ignition spark although I've had weak magnets on Femsa flywheels that produced a blue spark and the bikes ran fine. I'm wondering if the Motoplat may be more sensitive to a weak magnetic field.
  20. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    You might check with John at Vintage Husky for the sprocket puller... He used to have a box of new OEM ones... but that was several years ago.