1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Here is the post: Just scroll down
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/stuck-cylinder-advice-needed.16064/#post-141810

Bummer Steve, That 360 looked like a very nice project. There will always be another. Old Weird Harold sold a lot of Huskies here in NM.

Harold Goldberg was working for West Honda, West Honda is no more so I wonder where Harold is now.

You did well to miss this 450.... I have quite the parts list going and have yet to split the cases. Not sure what I will see there.

Mike
  2. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I think I know the answer but ; Will the fork stem from the 72 CR250 be the same as the 72 CR450? They appear the same to me.

Mike
  3. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Thanks for the link....nice trick
  4. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Yes, same fork stems and triple trees.
    I remember Weird Harolds.
    My 1970 400 came from Joe & Mary Turney's place. They sold BSA, Husqvarna, CZ. Think it was on Lomas. Dad bought it brand new there.
  5. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    That's pretty cool Steve.

Harold started on Lomas then moved to the corner of Zuni and Louisiana. I Joined the Navy and when I came back Harold was gone.

Sweet, I just picked up a steering stem off ebay.

Mike
  6. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Here is the steering stem, If you look closely you can see where there are no threads, I think this is from riding the bike with a loose headset:
    20150227_161448-1.jpg
  7. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    This is the piston, It's a first overbore:
    20150227_113050-1.jpg
    manu and oldbikedude like this.
  8. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Nice and crusty! Looking forward to your build.
  9. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
  10. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Oh yeah! And there is so much more ..... LOL.

Nails used as cotter pins, mish mash of metric and standard bolts and nuts. Typical of well used bikes.

I am looking forward to the finished product though and it will be right.

I understand there is a countershaft sprocket shaft I can exchange for the tapered shaft, if this is true where would I find the part number or what Husky does it come from?

Mike
  11. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Thanks for the lead but $350 is a bit out of my price range.
    I'll keep hoping one turns up that I can fit into the budget.

Mike
  13. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I have been searching for a good set of cylinder studs but have come up empty handed so then I turned to finding a shop that would make the tank look good as new....$750! I guess I'll pass on that to. For the finally I decide to start working on the rear wheel only to find the brake back plate is cracked.

Steve, you did well to miss this one!

Mike
  14. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow, that's a lot of stuff to fix. Thought the price on the conversion shaft was expensive too, but at least the part # was listed.
    Steve
  15. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Good point there Steve, I hadn't thought of filing that part number for future reference.

A friend of mine agreed that the tank paint was pricey but then he pointed out that the whole focal point of the Husky, aside from the engine, is the tank.

I'll bite the bullet and have the tank done right. After all I have no plans of selling this bike when it is done so why not do it up right.

Mike
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mike,
    Regarding the cylinder studs. you might try John Lefevre at Vintagehusky.com, he's come through with lots of stuff for my bike that is not listed on his site, including a set of good used cylinder studs. Has a lot of experience with rebuilding these machines. He also does the tanks. If you call him, he's always willing to talk to you and very helpful. Phone # is listed on his site.

Regarding the splined sprocket shaft, I think (but don't know for sure) that it is the same shaft that was used in some later 5 speeds (72 was the first 5 speed), so maybe a used one is a possibility. As a suggestion you might try posting the splined shaft question as a separate thread and see what responses you get. Some of the guys on here know a lot about what interchanges with what, transmission wise.

Regarding Harold (for a long time I didn't know his last name), a while back someone on another forum mentioned having bought a Montesa from Weird Harold's back in the day. Said he (Harold Goldberg) lives in Rio Rancho and still rides single track up in the Jemez Mts. I think this picture (actually a screen shot from an old video) is of Weird Harold from early 70's. Back of his helmet says Weird Harold's. Have some great memories from those days, but I apologize if I'm getting the thread off track. Looking forward to seeing the 450 as a sound running machine again. Judging by your CBX's, you certainly are capable of the workmanship necessary.
    20150228-205040.JPG 20150228-205203.JPG
    loony888 likes this.
  17. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    im not a expert but i think i can make cylinder studs with a hack saw a die and good bench vice:excuseme: im i fulla poop??
  18. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Yep, that's Harold, I think that is Allen Holts in the shot but it has been a long time.

I'll give vintage Husky a call and see what he can do. I thought of having a set of studs turned but if I can get stock that would be great.

I worked on the 450 today, finally got the cases apart and was pleasantly surprised to find the tranny in good shape, clutch...mmmmm...not so pleasant. I cut the steering stem nut off today and that was all I could accomplish.

The old girl couldn't have handled worth a crap with a loose front end.
    20150302_135430-1.jpg
  19. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Here is the pitiful clutch, I have no idea what that white fluff is, it's like a crystal of some sort.
    20150302_144628.jpg 20150302_150000.jpg
  20. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    old husky's are like kids spend the money and:love::awww::love: them they will be ok and take of you when your old:thumbsup:
    manu likes this.