1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    The crank looks like it sat in some water but the cases look great.
    20150302_164211.jpg 20150302_165633.jpg
    manu likes this.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    luckily thats before they started using mag for the cases or they would be trash...
  3. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I am pretty happy with the condition of the cases. Sometime next week I'll strip the paint and clean them up for painting. I found a lot of the engine parts I need. I got lucky and Huskydoggg had most of what I needed for the engine. He was great and tolerated my adding to the list on a daily basis. To bad he is shutting down the business.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  4. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    The odyssey continues.

I cleaned the corrosion from the clutch cover, couldn't really get a clean result so I took it to a shop and had it bead blasted.

Good job and it revealed the corrosion had penetrated the clutch cover. This explains the left side of the bike being covered in oil. I try to restore as much of the original bike as I can without using parts from other bikes but this one I may have to replace. There is a lot of corrosion! I may experiment with JB Weld and see if I can salvage the cover.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Now on to the ever present search for paint.

I have combed through the site for the various paints and codes for the frame color. I believe I have a good alternative and it's a marine grade fuel proof paint. Moeller Honda Silver Metallic; looks like a good match. I don't believe it will be an exact match but my restoration will be a nice rider, not museum quality.

For the engine cases I found the POR 15 Chassis Black is a pretty nice match.

For the tank I am willing to pay for quality dent removal, polishing and painting because the tank is such a visible Husky mark. So who would you guys recommend?

Mike
  5. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Send it to Darty, Lol He is a master husky tank painter...
    I just found out about Huskydoggg too , Steve has helped me out time and time again . He is a good hearted person and I consider him a vital resource to the Husqvarna community .
    oldbikedude likes this.
  6. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Steve is shutting down Huskydoggg.

I managed to get the top end and bottom end from him before he shut down.
  7. Albertus Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR150
    This is great stuff. Keep us updated Mike. Can't wait to see the 450 hit the road.

Your CR450 build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net
    We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
    We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

Al
  8. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Here is a picture of the clutch cover corrosion.
    20150312_145131.jpg

Attached Files:

9. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

wow... is it thru & thru?...
    I did a 450 restoration....lots of what you found I too realized
  10. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Yes, it was through and through. I would replace it but the other covers I have looked at are damaged in other ways as well.
  11. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Does anyone have a legible schematic of the transmission componets?
  12. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Photograph (1).jpg Photograph (2).jpg Photograph (3).jpg

Try copying these and blowing them up, might be legible enough. Other wise I can send a PDF. Also have clutch details and service procedures if they would be of any help.
    Steve
  13. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Thanks Steve.

I have that schematic but it does not lend well to enlargement. I was hoping for something with sharper definition.

I certainly could use the clutch pointers. While I am experienced any many things; the Husky is not one of them.

I was going to send the tank off to day but discovered the weld in the area above the frame backbone was leaking fuel. Having a lot of problems coming up with a second over piston assembly.. I have found new Wisecos' on ebay but $337. I made an offer of $275 and he came back with $335....finally just gave up on ebay. One ebay seller had one for reasonable but couldn't tell me what the measurement was, he said it was 2mm over stock... possible but without him measuring the piston I wasn't going to buy it.

I am finding the 450 difficult to source parts for at a reasonable cost. Seems everyone I contact says parts for the 450 are rare.

Mike
  14. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Nothing in the 2nd over piston so far.

I pulled the forks apart. Found about 200cc of H2O in one leg of course the spring was coated in rust and the steel fork tube as well. Cleaned about 3/4" of dried crud from the bottom of the stanchions, man did that old oil and crud stink. Thankfully I live alone and was able to put the parts in the dishwasher for a good hot bath.

I have an email to Race Tech. I'll get the springs from them along with emulators. Fork tubes seem pretty easy to find but I'll try to salvage the originals.

Cleaned up all the transmission gears and shafts they look pretty good but I have questions on the shift fork wear. They look robust but I still would like them checked by a Husky wrench.

Glass blasted the engine cases and outer covers then gave them a good hand wash followed by two cleanings in the dishwasher to be sure I got all the glass beads out. Painted those with POR 15 Chassis Black. Good stuff and a good match but the purist will have to be the judge of that.

Got the tank drained and ready to send out but found a crack in the weld of the leading edge weld of the fuel tank. I hope they can weld that up.

I packaged the crank and it's ready to send out to Oconnor racing. Motoplat is packaged to send to Vance for rework.

It's going along but slowly.

I'll post pictures when I get off duty.
  15. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    I would like to see what the POR 15 looks like. Sounds like you are moving right along. Nice progress.
  16. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Finally home so here are a few pictures, The covers are done with the POR15 Black Chassis and the air filter cover is done with Moller Marine Paint, Honda Silver Metallic.
    20150328_114035.jpg 20150328_114018.jpg 20150328_114022.jpg 20150328_114014.jpg
    mike328, Crashaholic and 310huskyTE like this.
  17. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Mark V mod 0 sounds like a Navy Seal knife ? nice restoration !!!
  18. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    The POR 15 looks nice to me.
  19. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I took the frame to the sandblaster. This guy uses a fine sand that leaves a finish something like a 220 grit. They restore classic bikes so I trust them in this regards. At the very least I would have to lightly sand the frame.

I finally got my hands on a good set of bore gauges and outside mics. Just confirmed my feel...I measured 0.10 piston to cylinder clearance. To much for me so I will have to go at least to the second over piston and ring.

Here is a picture or two of the cylinder and head sitting on the cases, all empty but gives me some satisfaction.

20150330_170329.jpg 20150330_144224.jpg

I thought this odd, they stamped over a number:

20150330_143935.jpg
    manu, ray_ray and Crashaholic like this.
  20. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Dyslexic stamper:D
    manu and oldbikedude like this.