1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I haven't heard back from Blake. I may opt to try someone local.

I worked on the crust clutch today. This old girl has seen some abuse.
    20150302_144643.jpg 20150302_145535.jpg 20150302_150036.jpg
  2. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I used a glass bead blaster to remove as much rust as I could. I like to use as much of the original parts as I can but I may opt fpr replacing the clutch all together.
    20150502_103801.jpg 20150502_103842.jpg 20150502_104022.jpg
  3. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I got the piston in the mail today so I'll send that off with the head and cylinder for boring and porting.

I have seen at least two different specs for porting the 450. One is S-3 6-18-73 posted in the first husky news letter. It calls for 4mm of port modification. The second one I have seen in the past but cannot locate again, it called for a smaller cut of 2mm.

What do you guys use?
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Here are the other specs. They're from the "early tech (pre77)" in the service bulletin archives on this website. Personally I would go with these because they're less aggressive than the one from the Husky News letters and to me that means a higher level of reliability. Also, the port drawings on the Husky News Letter tech sheet doesn't look like the 450.

Good grief your clutch is nasty looking. Didn't you buy a clutch from me off Ebay a couple of months ago? Was it okay? If it won't work or you decide you don't need it let me know and I'll refund your dough.

Attached Files:

5. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Oh yeah! it's a pitiful clutch. I don't think I ever opened an engine with a clutch this bad. The guy I bought the bike from said he was trying to get it started and was going to tow it behind a car.... Once I got it home I putzed with it and decided she just needed to be pulled apart.

Man o man were there surprises to be had and the clutch was just one of them.

Yes I did buy the clutch just to have incase this one was toast. It was a great buy to!

Looks like I will use that clutch in this engine.

Yeah, I like the less aggressive cut.

At least everyone here has been supportive and helpful. I just want to reward that with a good looking bike that runs.
    manu likes this.
  6. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Okay guru's I have another question.

The transmission bearings:

Should I use the C3 bearings?

It seems the articles I have read support using a C3 bearing when installed in an aluminum housing.

What's your experience here?
  7. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    My thought was wrong, removed it to save confusion...

I'll also be keeping a close eye on how many balls are in the race! thanks to crashaholics post for educating me on that one! i know there's counterfeits but i didn't think i needed to count the balls in genuine stuff.
  8. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    It's my understanding that the C3 is made for conditions where there is more heat and has slightly loser inner tolerances.

Mostly used in electric motors but also where the heat transfer is not uniform as in aluminum cases.

I suspect the C3 bearing would be just fine in the gear box of the Husky; I just wanted to confirm this with others.
  9. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Arrggghh! The succubus strikes again!

I inspected the transmission today and found some thrust washers that I should replace but otherwise it looks good.

The crank stub ends look iffy once they were glass beaded. I would consider running it and seeing what happens but I want to do this engine right the first time.

My concern is that the seals would not do their job.
    What do you experienced Husky builders think?
    Here is the Magneto side.
    20150504_142430.jpg

Here are a couple from the Primary side:
    20150504_142718.jpg
    20150504_142653.jpg
  10. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    oh that will buff out check for a seal with a 1 mill smaller ID
  11. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
  12. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I have tried that in the past, buffed and gone a wee bit smaller on the seal. Works for a little while. Seals like a certain surface roughness just enough to cut them in for a good seal, highly polished surfaces and to rough a surface and there will be problems.

I was hoping someone would have said they ran a crank like that with no issues... just trying to save some deniro....of course I know better!

I haven't found any stub shafts that are acceptable so I have placed a request in the classifieds of the C.H. site. In the mean time I have explored the other options. All quite pricey but two of them. One is using an epoxy but I don't think it would last. The other is made by SKF; it's called a Speedi-Sleeve. I used them a lot back when I built engines for classic cars. It's an interference fit sleeve that fits over the sealing area and it's very thin so no need to source an oversize seal. They can be a PIA to install because they are thin but usually the install tool works quite well. I am not sure if I can use them on the crank stubs but it's a possibility that is cost effective....about $20 for each speedi-sleeve.

As to the C3 bearings, I figure they should work just fine on the Husky but I will buy the bearing kit that John sells. Just get them all at once along with the seals and gaskets.
    Crashaholic likes this.
  13. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    i bought a replacement stub shaft from john lefevre as mine sheared off. Not sure on what it cost, it was bundled in with heaps of other stuff.

I mentioned speedi sleeves above, they work well as long as it doesn't interfere with other clearances.

My bearings all feel ok, i still haven't got the barrel off but when i do i'll be removing all my bearings, if you need a list of part numbers with the "C" clearance marked i'm happy to send it?
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Send shaft out to get ground down then re chromed and ground down.

Think it is like a $100 bux. But you want good smooth surface to mate with seal.
    troy deck likes this.
  15. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Oh Btw! You doing great job!
    loony888 and troy deck like this.
  16. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I have the tranny apart and I will have to replace some thrust washers, might as well replace them all.

A couple of them are cupped and the others are probably useable but why not replace them all if I can source them.

I ordered the Speedi-Sleeves yesterday. Can't wait to see how they work on the crankshaft stubs.

Got the motoplat back from Vance. It looks great.

Waiting on the Morad rim from England...progress but slow.
    mike328 likes this.
  17. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Yes, but progress none the less. Nice work.
  18. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Speaking of progress, I finally got the swing arm bushings out. What a PIA! I finally burned them out.

I see Buzzard has bronze bushings but what alternatives are there?

Hope you guys are out this fine Sunday riding!
  19. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Mine required a smoke wrench too.
    Posting this so you'll have one more thing to search for, don't know if anyone other than Huskyjunk (out of business) ever offered them, really nice conversion.
    http://www.huskyjunk.com/swing_bearing_conv.htm
    John at Vintage Husky has the original style in stock, but I suspect you're looking for an upgrade.
  20. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Hey Steve!

That's exactly what I had in mind!

To bad husky junk went out of buisness.

I suspect I could make something. Time and cost would be an issue.

Perhaps it will be better to use Buzzards set up. I won't be racing this machine, just puttering around more or less. I have way to many aches and pains from my navy gig.