1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame

Ouch! I wouldn't run these the way they are. I don't have any experience with this but I say to definitely turn em, sleeve em, or replace em. Sorry I can't point you in to quick, cheap repair method. Parts are getting harder to find for these pre 75 bikes.
  2. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I haven't been able to source any stub ends in any better shape so I ordered and received the Speedi-Sleeves today.

I can put the sleeve on the left stub. The right stub I can't sleeve until I get the cases pressed together. I have no reason to believe the sleeves will not work.

The 450 has been exceptionally hard to find certain engine parts for. Luckily the general frame, forks, wheel components were used on a lot of models.
  3. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    I restored and raced a 1972 450 when i first got into VMX.. you can change out the ignition stub for a "small taper" and run a mini 6 motoplat.. I actually used an internal rotor.. I reasoned that the engine had enough flywheel weight with the crank and clutch.. so a small ignition might get the old girl to rev a bit more. I used the factory porting specs ..along with the exhaust mods and a 38mm Mikuni.. :) managed to win a couple of Australian Titles with the 450..
    ray_ray, Crashaholic and justintendo like this.
  4. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    That is a good plan and I'll go that route if I can't get the Speedi-Sleeves to work. I will use the conservative porting approach.
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Make sure if u use a speedi sleeve. You seal under it for no air leaks.
    loony888 likes this.
  6. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Yes!

I was going to use blue locktight.

What do you suggest?
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anything heat resistant.

I think I used JB marine weld and just little on the end as I pressed it on.

I coated mine on trailing end bout 1/4 way inside of sleeve. As you press it on then wipe access off.

I was always worried about putting it on leading end and something happening that it would come loose and go in engine or make sleep harder to press on.

Used one on 125 and it worked.
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the sleeve retainer is good stuff. its purpose is basically for these kinds of applications. blue loctite would be very weak for this im guessing, as the sleeve retainer is quite strong
  10. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, that probably good stuff to use. I used it on my Gto rear axle bearings when I pressed them on.
  11. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Most Excellent!

I forgot about the bearing retainer I used to use in heavy equipment repair. That stuff is pretty good.
    dartyppyt likes this.
  12. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Wurth or Loctite bearing / race fixing agent.
  13. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I'll look at what the bearing supply shop has available here Burque. Got paid so I can order the bearings and seals from vintage husky.

Managed to find a few of the tranny thrust washers but I suspect I'll have to buy the rest elsewhere and grind them to the right OD. Should be okay as long as I don't overheat the washer ; then I can polish the edges smooth.

My honey bought me a tool for pulling the flywheel into the cases, that's way cool. I think she felt sorry watching me fabricate tools in the past.
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Try McMaster Carr , they have tons of metric shims.
  15. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great Job, keep up the posts. As I read thru them, I see a lot of the same issues I encountered, ie: rear brake backing plate, 'wheels' ...I ordered new ones from the UK (Akront - Morant) had to get them drilled by Buchanons, Woodys did the Stainless steel lacing.

Here is a source for parts,

http://www.husqvarnavintage.com/Wheels/cat792577_716312.aspx
  16. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    How much did Woodys charge to lace your wheel? How much to true the wheel?
  17. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Woody's has a price list on their website. If you call ask for Rachelle. She is very helpful.

All I sent was the front wheel hub. I went with stainless steel bigger gauge spokes, a MORAD rim and the superlace pattern.

The wheel is solid and looks great.

It was $500 and change.

No progress last couple of weeks, work gets in the way!

I did get the forks off to Race Tech, I am letting Sydney's guys rebuild them.
  18. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I recieved my forks from Race Tech today. So I has something to do! I put the triple tree on the frame.
    Read somewhere to replace the bearing cage with 23 ball bearings. Is this correct?

I bought stainless steel bearings and I believe they will do the trick.

Still messing with the fuel tank but not much success with doing removal there.

Engine still on my bench in pieces but I'll get it together eventually..
  19. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm not sure of the exact number of ball bearings it takes to replace the cage I just fill up the race until theres no more room left.

What are you removing from the tank, rust, old paint, dents?
  20. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I read 23 individual balls, I could fit 24. I chose to stay with 23 and assembled the triple trees. the front end seems to feel better with this.

The tank has dents in it. Some are in areas that I can repair and paint some are in the knee area that I would like to get out but haven't found a way to massage them out. The steel is pretty stout so heating and freezing the area hasn't worked and the glue stick method can't take the amount of force needed to pull the dent out.

I took the tank to a paintless dent removal shop and they couldn't get the dents out either.

If a good dent free tank becomes available maybe I'll pick it up.