1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    The parts list started listing bolt sizes in 1973 and the 73 and 74 lists are pretty much the same as the 72. As far as replacement bolts, I've never heard of anyone having luck finding a source for BUFO bolts.
  2. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Never thought of looking at the later model parts catalog.

Confirmed my thoughts on the bolt sizes.

Thanks mucho.
  3. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Soon I'll button up the cases.
    What sealant do you guys use on the engine seals or is the fit right enough to prevent leaks?
  4. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's

one of the guys here put me onto old SAAB and Volvo's and sure enough, they do have Bufo bolts on them, i had no luck finding the sizes i needed on the junkers i managed to track down but hey, they're out there.
  5. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Work has buried me but I managed to get the transmission in today. I didn't button up the bottom end because I found the detent springs and the detent sleeves in bad shape. This thing might have been jumping out of gear,the previous owner had stuffed ball bearings in the sleeve to boost the spring pressure. It might have worked but the detent is no longer pointed but well rounded over. image.jpg
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I looked at the few transmissions I have on the shelf and some of the detent springs differed from 10 to 13 coils. I see a ten coil spring in your picture. I'm not sure of the reason behind the different lengths in my stash. One of my trans is out of a 74 250WR and both springs are 10. As for the others, well they're all mixed up so I can't say what springs came out of what. My initial thought was that HVA increased the spring length on the shifting cam in later years to help a slipping out of gear problem but then I don't know for sure seeing my 74 250WR trans had two of the 10 coil.

To me the ball bearing added to your assembly wouldn't add enough excessive stress to wearout the end of the pin. The other consideration is lack of maintenance (i.e. lack of oil changes or poor quality oil). I once found 30w motor oil in a set of Husky front forks I purchased so you never can tell what folks are going to do.

I can't see the tip of your pin in the photo but keep in mind they're pretty round to begin with. How is it compared to the detent pin that goes under the shifting pawl?

Regarding previously jumping out of gear, were the shifting forks the right ones and were they installed correctly? I'm not sure the trans will even work if a couple of them switched places.
  7. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    This bike was thrashed before I picked it up. I expected to do a lot of work.

John has bored the cylinder for me and milled the head. The head was pretty hammered by a broken ring.

I don't know if it was jumping out of gear or not but looking at the tranny cogs and comparing the detent sleeve of the drum to that of the index I would say there was an issue. The drum sleeve was rounded, no point at all.
  8. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Here is a picture of the shift drum detent and of the actuator detent.

It's easy to see that the shift drum detent is well worn.
    image.jpg
    ray_ray likes this.
  9. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wow. I can understand why the trans wasn't staying in gear. I've never seen one worn like that before.
  10. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Motormen, Marty, supplied me with two detent sleeves and springs.
    I assembled the tranny and followed crashaholic's advise just setting the cases together without the flywheel.
    The 450 ran through the gears smoothly.

Now I can install the flywheel and get the cases together.
  11. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
  12. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    sumpins bad wrong with that shifter you better try that again :lol:
  14. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    First tire I have spooned on in 35+ years! Still the pain in the ass I remembered.

I found an original Trelleborg in Vancover, I was worried it might be stiff and cracked but it wasn't.

image.jpg
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    ive always wondered how tires like that are preserved. tired get hard in a few years. kept away from light for sure
  16. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    that's a lucky find, well done!
  17. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Yes, I was very lucky to find that tire and for $100 shipped!

Steve gave me a Trelleborg for the front. Maybe today i can mount that up.

Still have to press the swing arm bushings in and find a set of shocks. I think stock was 12". I would like to find a stock set of Girlings but cost has been the prohibiting factor.
  18. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Finally have the tire mounted on the front rim.
    image.jpg
  19. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Good job! Bike coming along great!
  20. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Crap! Another crossroad. I looked at the swing arm today and it just didn't look right. When I pulled the swing arm bolt I had to drive it out. So I thought it might be rusty. Well, it's not.
    I took a square to the bushing flanges and the right one is canted about 10 degrees. It's enough to keep the swing arm bolt from lining up and going through without using a hammer.

I figure the previous owner either hammered out or pressed out the bushings without supporting the swing arm. Looking closely I could see a small dimple on the inside of the swing arm just aft of the pivot point that the bushing presses into.