1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 Husqvarna 250 WR and 1971 400 Cross barn finds! Help me bring these beauties back to life!

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Red Leader, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Red Leader Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 Husqvarna 400CR

Looks like I can't see what is in this link.

I'm probably going to set the bike up with a Mikuni VM38-9 or some such because its gonna be a rider, and I think those may take a different throttle cable. Maybe I can use some of that bicycle cable housing for that, as there are some good options there in the grey color for either brake housing or shifter housing (which is slightly smaller).
  2. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    I fixed the link. Looks like the cables are all 2mm but the sheaths are different sizes. These are old cables with the oiler attached so they should be for huskys they all came off of huskys!
    Red Leader likes this.
  3. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Red Leader likes this.
  4. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Red Leader and mysery1 like this.
  5. Red Leader Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 Husqvarna 400CR

That was a good read, thank you for that. Unbeknownst to me, the '71 400 Cross actually came with a Mikuni on it, and I'll leave it on there for now. Not sure what model it is, but when I spoke to a Husky restoration guy (actually in Colorado), he said the VM38-9 was a good option for these bikes. I'll definitely need to read up on jetting and setup, but my hope is to set these bikes up for running well and taking advantage of some advancements in tech to get there.

Today just working on cleaning. Really relaxing!

EDIT: sorry this thread it so slow, but I haven't really done much motorcycle resto work before, of at the very least, did it with my dad when I was a kid, so not really able to count it.

Looks like this WR 250 engine has a Femsa ignition, and so I'm probably going to grab a flywheel puller in anticipation of splitting cases. Anyone know the exact size / threading? Also, anyone have a favorite case splitter or recommendation for one?

Thanks all!
  6. Red Leader Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 Husqvarna 400CR
    Oooh, I missed this detail in your post! The bike with the busted kick stop is a '71, so it sounds like it is aluminum?
  7. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    Oval case engines had aluminum covers
    The square cases have magnesium covers
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame