1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 1997 RM125, anyone ever have one?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So as i stated got the bike out of a shakedown run last weekend. Was hard to start and almost would not start at the end of the day and I knew it was compression related as you could feel it when kicking it. By the end of the test ride I could not start it without getting it rolling fast and dumping the clutch and then it would not idle. was interesting trying to get it back to the truck. As I have very little into this and 95% the way there i figured I'd get a piston kit for it. Yanked the head to inspec and found the cylinder looking like new and stock bore. The more I look at this bike the more I realize it is a low hour bike but sat for many years unridden. With the cylinder inspected and measured i set out to find solutions to my compression problem. I could get a ring for $17. I Chinese piston kit for $58 or a full on Weisco kit for $119. I went with the Weisco as the kit was super complete with all gaskets, pipe o-ring and brass header shim. Nice. I thought Huskys 125 were stupid simple to work on, this is even EZer!!! Having done it once now I could literally do this in 10-15 minutes trackside if the gaskets came off clean. super EZ.

The stock piston was still petty clean and scare free and could have just got a ring. The Ring was way out of spec, was not round and end gap was huge. Tons of blow by hence the compression loss. Crank and rod looked and feel new.

[IMG]

Cylinder looks nearly new...

[IMG]

[IMG]

The new piston has three lube holes instead of two and are larger on the critical exhaust bridge area...

[IMG]

Time to slap it back together...

[IMG]

Guess what, way more compression, starts if you look at it funny (seriously the EZest starting bike ever now, Half a kick and it is lit. Runs great, snappy, nice idle. It has the first Lectron I had on my 125/165 on it and runs fantastic. Feels husky 125 strong, maybe stronger. Has the Lectron and FMF pipe so I'm sure that helps.

Can't ride this weekend but next weekend it is on and Joe is going to be one happy camper. Looks like I have another loaner bike. Going to introduce my nephew to riding this summer too so this will get used.

Special thanks to Jake for the hand guards, chain, tires and skid plate.

Glad Joe needed a bike and pushed me in this direction because as old and rusty as this bike looked externally it looks new inside and has low hours. Worth saving. Feels good to help out a friend and also introduce a new kid to riding. I bet my wife will spend some time on this too. Will be a good EZ to ride loaner / learner.
    Coffee, pvduke, 454x and 3 others like this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Just opened a box from Tim (454X) with levers and perches for this bike. Thanks man :cheers:
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I just sold mine last year 1997 RM125, loved that thing. cheap thrills for sure, I would consider replacing the 2 PVs for security from service use failure. I had one fail then a few months later the other failed, both caused me to replace pistons and clean up the machine. If I did the 2 PVs in the first place.....

they crack off , right where you would expect them to. then the valve portion free floats into the side of the piston= new top end. verify that your PV link is secure also, the plastic lock clip gets old and brittle, I installed a new one and wired it to secure it. Parts were all readily available from Suzuki dealer.
    couldnt find a clean foto of the 97 RM125, heres one of me and daughter playing with a snake I caught out on the trail, in front of the RM125
    [IMG]
    found one son on the RM
    [IMG]
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks for the info. Top end and PVs looked good. Clip for the PV rod looked new and was flexible.

K
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    so what happened with the project cause i have a set of those forks [just sayin]
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    awesome! give ya next-ta-nothing plus 10% for it! mreeep mreeep! :p
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Bike runs and rides very good. Feels super light and lists at 194 pounds so IS light. Feels small too. Power is much like a husky 125 but with the FMF pipe and Lectron feels slightly stronger and zero bog anywhere. Very good motor. I like it.

8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    told ya. my wingman has a YZ125. same size. we load porky then load his bike. it's like a toy. my 300 dwarfs it. he wriggles through stuff so narrow my pegs scrape on it its hillairious- like mutt n jeff. he's bigger than me and on that lil bike, im 5'4" on the monster 300, its a comedy odd couple show. i love RM's. best turners and woods bikes around. good front fork and frame too, very tuneable. enjoy you silly savage.
  9. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Awesome! Nothing like getting some-thing cheap and beat and turning it into a great trail machine.Seems like neutral is easy to find as well:lol:! Great stuff.
  10. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Great video. Are you having some gear box trouble?
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    naw, trans is fine....hes jist got small feet. :doh:

:eek:

:busted:

:lol:
    454x likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Shifter is a little high. It shifts really EZ and that was my first ride. Once i got used to it no more ... "there it is again" :) Its a good bike. Joe will be enjoying it this weekend.
    huskybear likes this.
  13. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    rrrrriiiiight....aint what she said!

depositphotos_11701691-Baby-feet-held-in-mothers-hand.jpg
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Hey listen shorty...
  15. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:

yup...the angry midget. "over-compensating" with that big ol dirt bike...at least that's what my buddies wife says....

i dont like her very much anymore!
  16. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I've heard folks say that short guys usually pack the biggest guns.
    Zat true?
  17. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    big suprises, small packages....
    imagesCAME8U1L.jpg
  18. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    So now you say you have a small 'package' too? Man, you just can't catch a break in life :lol:
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    derailed.
    Coffee likes this.
  20. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:

how do i delete my last post!

and kelly- i'll give 20% over what ya paid for the lil RM.... but nothin more. cuz the trans is shot. WEEEENG!

(it sucks to be me :( )