2 Weeks In The High Sierra: Granite, Water And Dirt

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Aug 14, 2011.

1. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

lol i thought they might be sequoias but wasnt too sure. very cool to be around things that big that are living organisms, i want to get out there one of theese days.
  2. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

the morning pics are very cool also. makes me imagine of gettin up and grabbin the recurve bow to go out stalkin elk or something lol :thumbsup:
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I highly recommend it :thumbsup: California has a pretty bad reputation in a lot of select circles for various and assorted reasons, but it's a beautiful state with a lot to offer.

Yeah, I could see that :) The meadow had a really neat look to it, with steam rising from the river. There was a pretty big wildfire going on northwest of the meadow in the Golden Trout Wilderness and we saw the smoke heading our way the night before. It kind of botched up the air quality in the valley there and a few other places but it made for a really spectacular sunset later that night...which I didn't get a picture of, believe it or not :banghead:
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Our last dirt ride of the trip...kind of a sad occasion for us, knowing we probably wouldn't make it back down here til next year. Little did we know how sad it would be :(
    [IMG]

Speakin' of sad, how do ya like that focus?
    [IMG]

We were getting buzzed by kamikaze hummingbirds while watching the deer...
    [IMG]

Eric's up in that saddle there...
    [IMG]

What's he doing up there, you ask? Dealing with Mechanical Gremlin #7, that's what. He was trying to figure out where all the squeaking and squealing was coming from. The night before we heard a little noise while he was wheeling the bike around, sounded like squeaky brakes, but it was faint and not thought to be a big deal. No squeaks at all in the morning, no squeaks for the first 5 miles, then all screechy hell broke loose....
    [IMG]

Turns out Eric's fairly new WR250 with 755 miles on it was losing the rear wheel bearings. He was not happy. We decided to tip-toe back to camp. He rode ahead while I goofed off and took photos...
    [IMG]

Can you spot Eric way down there waiting for me? This a very steep section of Beach Trail that drops down into the Rattlesnake Creek drainage. There's only one switchback...
    [IMG]

Heading for that one switchback...
    [IMG]

Well, he couldn't have been too upset about his bearings, as he was still taking photos :excuseme:
    [IMG]

We rode through the creek along the bottom of the drainage and then started the long climb back towards camp...
    [IMG]

We'd left pretty early, and had only ridden about 12 miles or so, but we spent a lot of time futzing with Eric's WR and I was starting to feel the heat...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

We returned from the ride, loaded up all the bikes and broke camp. We headed out towards the east and down to HWY 395. We'd been up at high elevation for almost 2 weeks straight, but down on 395 summer was in full swing. It was Friday afternoon and we didn't have to be back til Sunday.

Now, y'all didn't think this ride report was going to end without a few glimpses of my favorite thing, didja?

That's what I thought :D

Just a little bit more to come...

WoodsChick
    wallybean, Coffee and WHITEROCKET5.9 like this.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was thinking of you and this post today! We got the KTM motor back 2 days ago, and our motor guy didn't really find anything wrong. He lapped a valve seat that had slight nick in it but found no trace of the broken piece of slide and no damage anywhere. Eric put the motor in last night but it wouldn't start for love nor money. It was late so he locked up the garage, only to stew about it all night and all day. He tried to fire it up today but got the same thing. He checked the spark plug gap and voila'! It's purring like an angry lion now :thumbsup: He checked it before and thought it was good but he probably couldn't see it. He's known for awhile that he needs new glasses but this was the final straw...he's making an eye appointment tomorrow :busted:

Thanks, 7point62!
  6. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Nice story, good pics.
    Lots of issues for you guys this trip!

We just got back from a 4-day in KM with the ADV group. Was a good time, saw a lot of the same trails. Definitely a great year up there for trailing.
  7. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

HEAVENS TO BETSY....... Never a dull moment.....
  8. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Hey WoodsChick - I'm glad that the Big Pumpkin is fighting fit again - if it's any consolation to Eric I have to reach for the glasses occasionally these days too (and spark plugs are a bit smaller than they used to be...)
  9. Srad600 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '04 TC450 Plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    '96 XR650L SUMO, '11 KTM 990ADV
    Yeah looks like alls well that ends well, quite the adventure ride two up! :thumbsup:
    The TC is still running, got the carb dialed in a bit better and will be replacing the coil soon (have a spare just need to install it). Although I'm kinda drooling over that new TE449...:eek:
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, I've been following that thread; Looks like a good time was had by all, but criminy there were a lot of riders there! :eek:Don't know if I could handle that many folks on one ride :)

Nope...just the way we like it! Well, minus the pushing the behemoth uphill part...

Yeah, getting old ain't easy, is it? :busted:

You and me, both, pal :D Yeah, the two-up ride was fun; makes me want to get a big bike for the two of us so I can take in the scenery and snap photos while Eric does all the hard work :D
    I'm holding out for the Nuda XC model :thumbsup: You still in the neighborhood? Drop on by sometime, drop that new coil in!
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Alright, time to wrap this up :p

We headed down to 395, one of the most scenic highways in CA. The eastern Sierra is pretty special, and I always like loooking up and seeing Mt Whitney staring back down at me. Wish I'd gotten a decent photo of it.

We goofed off on 395, taking our time and enjoying the last days of one of the most enjoyable trips we've ever taken. This river was running fast and furious...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

There's a lot of opportunity to get off the beaten path in the eastern Sierra...
    [IMG]

The Darth Pose Lives On...
    [IMG]

What trip could possibly be complete without warm water??
    [IMG]

It was hot out, 97 degrees, and the thought of a hot springs might seem kinda silly, but this water was about 95 degrees...perfect!
    [IMG]

We watched the sun go down while soaking and reliving all the fun things we'd done and all the neat-o things we'd seen...
    [IMG]

This, folks, is what a happy man looks like...:)
    [IMG]

The sky was beautiful and it kept changing every few minutes...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

We were pretty much blown away by our experience here, and by the goodness of the whole trip in general. Yeah, we had a few mechanical issues...well, ok, more than a few...but from start to finish we just had a fantastic time riding our bikes, hanging out together and experiencing some of the best this great state of California has to offer :thumbsup:

[IMG]

Thanks for coming along, everyone!
    WHITEROCKET5.9 likes this.
  12. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Like everyone else, I really enjoyed your trip.
    And it is nice to be reminded that there are so many nice places in California.
  13. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    Awesome report
  14. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Did Eric happen to pick up a new fender sticker at MotoXotica when picking up the TE 610? Please say yes! That one on the front fender gets to me for some reason. :eek:
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks! Come on down sometime and ride some of those nice places with us :)

Thanks, Rob578! It was fun putting it together.

:lol: That sticker has pretty much been fubar'd since the bike was new...we're surprised it's still on there at all! We're kinda curious to see how long it takes for it to fall off completely. It's a waiting game, now :D If you want I can post weekly updates on the condition of the sticker :lol: Husqvarna should supply us with a new one. We saw a really pretty gold one at Dan's last week and Eric's kinda thinking about that, though, so there is hope :thumbsup: