1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2004 CR/WB165 Build Thread

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Hoov165x, Sep 22, 2013.

1. dunc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any clearance issues with the 449 front fender and number plate? Looking to update the front end with something not so round.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

No you just need to run the 449 number plate too and then make a mount for the top of it.
  3. dunc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great, thanks
  4. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Funny how you sound disgusted with the newer style husky that has the exact same frame/subframe/overall geometry. Aside from a slightly higher seat.

I've owned both bikes, I suppose because I stand up 90% of the time I've never noticed a difference.

Nice build anyway.
    jmetteer likes this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I personally like the 2000-04 better than the 06-08's as well. The tank and seat make the bike feel allot different IMHO. I like the 09 and up a lot too.
  6. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The Latest: 2014 FE250
    Thanks walt, that's what I thought.
  7. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Well, it is about complete. Need to change the tranny oil, install skid plate (Richochet sent one for a Honda CR125), waiting on stabilizer and disc guards from Motosportz, front number plate upper bracket, kickstand, install power valve vent hoses, and heat cycle it. I think that is about it.. I will take some good pictures outside the next sunny day we get, but for now here are a few.
    Thanks to:
    Motosportz for supplying the WB165 kit (and Walt of course), modded KTM 200 pipe, the .42-.50 Cannon Racecraft front springs, and the Lectron carburetor. Hopefully soon I will have some blue ano'd disc guards as well.
    Bill's Motorcycles Plus for the OEM stuff.
    Motosport Hillsboro for all the aftermarket parts. Thanks Scott!
    Morris Powdercoating for the awesome job on the frame. Powdercoating is an art, as I learned years ago when another company laid it on a little thick...
    TBT for the sweet deal on the shock revalve.

Now all it needs is a little test and tune time. That will probably wait until spring as snowmobile season is almost upon us. I also have that WR250 project going. 010.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG I am, however, going to go for a ride with Kelly next week.
    014.JPG
  8. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Next up: The total cost of this project. :)

I am liking how this turned out. This bike has character! 013.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 012.JPG
  9. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    Looks great!
  10. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    That looks beautiful
  11. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Very nice job. It's gunna hurt the first time she falls over.

Are you planning to run frame guards?
  12. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I am not aware of any frame guards for the 04. Any suggestions? I would like to have a set.
  13. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thank you for the compliments guys!
  14. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
  15. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    I have the CRD frame guards on my 04 CR 125.

20130620_080019.jpg
    rockdancer likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Looks great, lets get it dirty. Was out of Chinahat at the husky gathering with many other 165's. They were everywhere. :)

[IMG]

[IMG]
    454x and wallybean like this.
  17. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Very nice job!
    I have Pirie Performance CF guards on my 04 250.
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

LandofMotards likes this.
  19. Hoov165x Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Well, I finally got to ride the bike. Great day on some really good singletrack. I won't bore anyone with all the details because Motosportz has already written about it, but here are a few of my thoughts:

TBT did an outstanding job on the shock revalve; it works brilliantly. Two clicks out on compression and it was golden.
    The Race Tech valving I did on the front end was very good, however I am going to soften it a bit from a CH4 stack to a CH3. When I rode Kelly's bike originally I was about 15 pounds heavier than I am now and the front is just a little too firm. The action is great though. It is riding a little high at 100 mm of oil, so I will start at 110-120 next time. Springs are fine as I rode Kelly's bike for a control and it is a bit softer with the same settings due to a lower oil level (leaky seals). These changes should make for perfection. It is amazing how good these 45 Marzocchi Shiver forks can be. Better than any KYB, Showa, WP that I have had in the past (for offroad). It blows my mind..

The motor is great and has incredible power mid and up. I was in a woods section that opened up a little (picture 100 year old fir trees and lots of loam) where I could really hammer down, and it was amazing how hard it pulled. I would like to race this setup in MX as it flat out yanks hard and I know I could spank some 250F's. The bottom end, for most of our tight, technical riding, is a little soft but I know I can change that with a pipe. Great running motor.

The Lectron carb was close to perfect straight out of the box. No smoking, minimal spooge, excellent mileage, awesome response. The mileage is so good I am now wondering why I bought the IMS tank- 50 miles and I have at least half a tank left. We do a lot of tight technical riding so not fully on the pipe a lot. I may play with the metering rod a little to see if it can be better but I don't think I will succeed as it is already excellent.

Handling was excellent and better than all of the new KTM's I have had/ ridden. I am going to install a stabilizer, not because of any instability, but because it reduces the fatigue factor in our conditions.

I did have one small issue throughout the day- the bike would bog out and quit occasionally, only restarting after waiting a few minutes, and sometimes it would only fire with a bump start. Not a fueling issue, so it must be electrical. I am going to check that out before I go out next time; maybe a plug wire or other connection.

This bike was newer than I thought as the front brake, with original pads, did not wear in for about 20 minutes. At the beginning of the day I thought the brake needed better pads, but then all of a sudden it got very strong.. Previous owner obviously didn't use the front brake. Pads were cleaned too.

BTW- that S12 front tire is the biggest POS I have ever used. Was new on the bike when I got it so I thought I would wear it out. Wrong- It is coming off and getting tossed immediately. 005.JPG

So there it is- the bike is 90% straight out of the chute. A little fine tuning and it will be phenomenal. I won't be riding anything else in tight single track again.... unless it is another 165.
  20. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Really nice looking bike, are those graphics available for a 2009 bike?

I've a 2009 wr165 and am looking at a 2009 cr125 to buy for spares. The suspension on the cr125 has the marzoochi 50mm cartridge and the rear shock appears slightly different, is this cr suspension any good?