1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2008 wr250 water jacket issues

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by sooper_arthur, Jul 11, 2009.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    There's a holes that passes coolant from the exhaust manifold area to the cylinder water jacket. Coolant does not flow out the bottom and into the cases like a lot of other bikes. It is not tied to the cases.

The pump is feed from the bottom of the radiators, discharges to the exhaust manifold, then passes from there to the cylinder via the four o-ringed holes and into the cylinder. Coolant cross flows the cylinder and head, to the rear of the head and out to the radiators, via the two spigots on the top of the head.

Sorry if you already know this, but from what I'm reading there seems to be some confusion about the flow path. Hope this helps. :excuseme:
  2. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    ill post of vid of it. so everyone can see..... there is no flow path at the moment!! ill get a vid up tommorow.
  3. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I think that your early post described it well and the description fits what you show in the videos. Did the top end actually get heat damaged or seized?
  5. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    not seized but it is on the way, the piston is showing signs of heat as the rings lands are starting to droop.
  6. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Arthur,...did your radiators ever get hot to the touch? Because from what I just viewed there, there was no reason for them to ever warm up. Did you ever feel the tops of them before you took off? I always do that to insure the motor is warmed up enough not to cold seize.
    I just don't see how yours could have ever gotten warm with a dead head in the system like that.
  7. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Wow. That is interesting. So you've been riding this bike for how long? With NO coolant flow whatsoever? Amazing.

On a brighter note: If it can handle that, I think it's gonna last a very long time once those holes are drilled and you get some flow!!
    (although I was a little concerned to hear that the cylinder used for comparison ALSO did not have the holes drilled. Definitely sounds like something they should warranty. Crazy!)

I'm interested to hear the answer to Rusty's questions.
  8. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    hey rusty, ya the tops of the rads get hot, induction heat fromthe head rises and also the bottoms of the rad were always cooler. i put on a 1.6 rad cap a loong time ago that had a temp gauge in it and the bike always ran hot say 210 - 220.

ya im surprised it lasted that long the way it was, should be impossible to boil when its built right!

the cylinder it was compared to also had no holes drilled but my question (to the shop) wasnt answered as to why the shop had that cylinder around. im guessing it also blew up and now its jst scrap, so go figure its exactly the same. tho im specullating on that one since he didnt answer me as to why they have that spare cylinder.
  9. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a used cylinder at my shop that looks exactly the same. The reason I have it is because the bike was laid over in a river and scuffed it all up. I bought a barely used cylinder from Ferracci that was cheaper than replating the original one.
  10. topari Husqvarna
    AA Class

If the franchised dealers are not offering help, then it's time to contact Husqvarna directly. I'm sure they would be really interested to know about the problem. Maybe start with a phone call and offer to send the video links using email.
  11. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    scotty, u mean it was cold seized?
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    OK, you're right. I'm amazed, but you are right. :notworthy:

That is too wild. I never would have thought it would last an hour like that. :eek:

How long has it been running that way?
  13. kzoo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 295
    I'd be curious if this is a no so common or a more common issue... I guess if your bike is running hotter than you'd expect, it'd be worth checking out. I've got an '08 WR250 that I just bought, it'd probably be worth looking into...:banghead:
  14. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Next time you start it up cold just kinda feel around the bottom of the left radiator, the big "Y" hose, and the pump cover as it's warming up.
    You should begin to feel a little warmth build in the bottom of that rad shortly.
    My WR300 flows just fine,...it just wants to leak coolant though. :censored:
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501

Me too man, I am trippin' on that after seeing the vids,,,,,WTF??.
    I APOLOGIZE!! I really thought this was a KOOK thread,,,,,wow it looks like a real "recall" issue. Hope the factory people are watching, bizarre issue. Not knowing if just a small batch of cylinders are effected? A big bunch? It is a strange one for sure. R

I think Gilardoni is still and was the forging/casting sub contractor/shop for all the Husky stuff. Best of luck with this one, jeez its an odd one for sure.
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I just put my top end back on yesterday, now I want to take it back off.:banghead:
  17. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    looks like im getting some headway finally. ill keep everyone posted, as its getting resolved.
  18. kzoo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 295
    Seeing as though my last bike was a pre '04 Husaberg (2003), and it had it's moments, I'm just a bit paranoid about my new scoot. To check coolant flow, I partially removed the rad-cap then fire the bike up. I then removed it all the way to see if coolant was flowing from the head back up to the radiator through the hose at the top of the radiator... Sure enough, it flows... :applause:

B.T.W., I checked the serial number on the head, and it matches the one that you listed (sooper_arthur)...
  19. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    an easy way to tell if your machine has this issue would be to pinch off the rad hose from your pump to your rads, then remove the drain bolt from the pump. you should get all the coolant out from the cyl and upper rad hoses. if you have a blockage, youll most likely only get a little bit out that was sitting in the pump.
  20. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Is it STILL leaking after you smoothed out the casting lines???