1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2010/11 125/150 Suspension Spring rates

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Vinduro, Oct 26, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    He wrote "rider sag" so I'm assuming he is. Static sag would be without the rider, no?

WoodsChick
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    True, I was just wanting to verify this as in most places I have read about setting the front sag, rider weight was not included ...
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Rider Sag, Yes. Static sag is without rider. I hope for about 40mm static front. Seems static sag in the forks is nessary but not as critical on the numbers as rear sag.
    I also have the .40kg springs (need to make some preload spacers) and a 6.0kg shock spring. Spoke to Jay Hall and he weighs 215lbs and rides a 125 and 150. He uses a 6.8kg spring so a 6.0kg over the stock 5.0kg shouldn't be too much. I like a lot of static sag in my rear shock. I am shooting for 30-35mm. 100mm rider sag. I plan on 75-80mm rider sag in the front forks. Dropping the forks down to the #2 line.
    Probably more testing next weekend at the NATRA H/S in Westpoint, Tn.

This is going to be fun !1

4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Cool and what about this 100mm rear sag .... How does the rear end sag play in with UR front end sag that is sitting low in its stroke? Can you contrast this to what a MX rider might want as apposed to the woods rider that you are?
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Some difference but not as much as you think. MX has berms in most corners and offroad / woods racing does not. You want the bike to settle or squat some in a corner to maintain traction. The basic rule of thumb of sag setting should apply to even MX riders. Once you have your rear sag set it changes to some degree how much weight transfer you have to the front forks. You want approximately 1/3 (33-34%) of the amount of rear wheel travel in rider sag. On a KTM that has 335mm (13.2") of rear wheel travel, works out to 111-114mm (or a tad more if you like a more stable bike). On a Husky with 295mm (11.6") of rear wheel travel, works out to 98-101mm (or a tad more). Springs don't keep you from bottoming. Valving does. Springs keep you up in stroke or at a certain point in the stroke. That is only been noticed more in the past 15 years. But it is important if you want your suspension to resist bottoming, be plush over rocks / roots, maintain traction when cornering and not give you a nosebleed from too high a seat height.
  6. Klas Husqvarna
    A Class

You are right, 6,0 should be right on that bike with that llinkage. I run a 5,8 in my TE 310 -11 But it have shorter svingarm, shorter leverage.

But you should also change the setup on the rebounddamping (revalve for that harder spring)

Otherwise it will kick your ass :)

/Klas
  7. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am in an additional 5 clicks on rebound. (Out 8 from full in. ) Because I have added a 5 step (+1.0kg) heavier spring. I generally go in one click per .2kg that I add to spring rate.

I just put in .40kg fork springs. I am using the longer TC fork springs and made 30mm shorter preload spacers. I am now getting 40mm static and 75mm rider sag. YEAH !! PERFECT ! Just added one click on compression. I had already backed off several clicks with the heavier .42kg spring. I will be putting on the 6.0kg shock spring in morning and setting my rider sag to 100mm and hoping that my static sag is at least 30mm-35mm .
  8. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I put the 6.0kg shock spring on. Preload about 9mm, Static sag 30mm, Rider sag 101mm. DEAD ON I didn't drop my forks. On the first line with about 5mm showing above the clamp, I measured 11.8" (300mm) to the fender bolt. That is my fork travel so I barely have enough clearance now. I will test before, I move anything.
    I now have the correct sags front and rear ! I was surprised to have to go up 5 spring sizes on the rear shock. I weigh about 180lbs. naked. Trying to get down to 170lbs. If I get down to 170lbs I can back off on preload a tad and get a few more mm of static sag which will still be well within the tolerances. I am currently at the minimum static sag.
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Suspension worked great this weekend. I won my class at H/S by 5 minutes. Confidence inspiring !
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Great to hear you won! Let the good times roll :banana:
  11. andy j Husqvarna
    AA Class

hey this is turning into an interesting informing thread... on suspension .
    its a great read..
    I tried an experiment at the weekend... on my 50mm zooks. A te 310 though...

My te 310 has 4.5kg standard springs & has been revalved for enduro work.. the enduro events have stopped during the winter so we tend to head to the mx tracks for some practice fun.. the 310 handles the mx track great but does suffer from blowing through the stroke on big jumps or flat jump landings.. not wanting to change the super plush enduro settings i thought i try some stiffer springs.. we wipped out the RHS fork leg and replaced the fork spring with a 5.0 (this was all that we had available at time) in the side left the other as is at 4.5.. Our thinking was 4.5 LHS spring + 5 RHS spring / 2 = 4.75kg overall spring rate... It worked an absolute treat round the track.. the jumps were absorbed super smooth and i felt that in rutted / bermy corners i could rail round these way faster & more acurate than i could achieve normally... normally my front pops out.. Im not sure why this helped here? braking bumps did incurr some deflection ie the steering snapped to the side sometimes when hitting the second or third bump... everyone may have been suffering from this though.. but from reading the post above perhaps i should have added a few clicks of rebound damping and a few less compression..????? to compensate fro th espring wt.. what do you think? is this worth trying?
    Overall though it worked great around the track for an easy ten minute spring swap solved the blowing through the stroke issues. and when the enduros start i can swap the 4.6 back if i get harshness from square edge bumps....

Oh i weigh 90kg with my gear and use 5wt oil..

AJ