2010 510 Smr Refuses To Start.

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by 2010in306, Aug 20, 2011.

1. 2010in306 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have had this bike for 5 days and its already causing me to go bald. My latest problem is i cant get her to start, at all. Yesterday she fired right up, i let her warm up, then before i could leave the parking lot she died and i couldn't get her fired back up. I thought i had flooded it leaving the choke on and my battery just went dead trying to fire it back up but i'm not so lucky. I pulled and cleaned the plug and put in on the charger. No luck, she just began to pop but not fire. I was hoping that i hadn't given it enough time so i left it over night, 24 hours later the same thing. I disconnected the battery maybe to reset the computer, no change. I actually risked hot starting it with carburetor cleaner behind the air filter and directly in the head still just occasional POP's, sometimes the computer will cut out and it'll still crank. I bought this bike with 330 miles on it, still the break in oil in it, and a bad battery. I drained the oil though the bottom plug which i consequently rounded out. I tried to find a plug and was told not only should i not drain the oil there, as my instructions clearly tell me, but i would have to wait 2 weeks to replace it. Having just got it i was able (willing) to replace it with a Volvo plug. So far so good but i had noticed that my oil pan had a slight leak, the oil i had just put in the bike in the night before had leaked by maybe a quarter quart, so i ran black rtv down the casing and it seems to be holding. There are no dealers within a 2 1/2 hour drive and i have no experience with these fuel injection systems. If i have to take the drive i will but i dont get a weekend for 2 weeks and i haven't even put 50 miles on it yet. I need help or at least something to try. I haven't done the power-up kit yet though i have it. Maybe ill drain the gas it could have water, maybe. Ive been trying all different combinations of choke on, off, decompression swith open, closed. I have no idea, sometimes the fuel light flashes but...I am going crazy here. Anything-anything-anything will help.
  2. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Put another gallon of gas in it and try again. (Sounds like it's low on gas.) Report back. Do not use the compression rephrase unless it doesn't turn over. Don't touch the throttle, either.

For the oil leak, tighten all the case bolts..
  3. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Best starting technique is:
    Fast idle pulled out
    Ignition on
    Pull the clutch in (reduces load on the starter)
    Push the start button with your finger (this avoids the temptation to twist the throttle when pushing button with your thumb)
    If the bike is right it should start.
    They really don't like the throttle being twisted when starting but do like a fully charged battery and good fuel.

Hope this works!

Dave
  4. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Sorry to hear about the 510
    Take first things first
    Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the key
    and the kill button is out
    If you hear the pump then pull the plug and lay it against the cylinder
    with the plug wire hooked up and crank it over and see if you have spark
    Let us know whats up i am sure you will sort it out with the help from this site.
  5. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

Pretty sure Bill from Bill's Husky told me sometimes holding the throttle wide open when cranking will make it fire. I did this a few times when my bike was in the break in phase and it would fire right up. FWIW, I don't even use the fast idle button to start anymore, she just fires right up (1000 miles now).
  6. 2010in306 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The gas in bike is full and new. I pulled the plug again checked it for any fouling and pulled the o2 sensor and cleaned it. The fuel pump does prime and she'll still crank and sound like it'll fire but wont. The only thing that i can think todo is replace the plug anyway. My roommate has a honda 919 with fuel injection, not being too mechanical, he warns me of frying the electrical with the trickle charger and the jumper box i had hooked up. He brought up the possibility that the placement oil drain plug may be too long and blocking a oil pickup, its longer by about 1/4" to maybe 1/2", is there anyway that is possible? Im sure if i keep working on it with no real idea what is wrong i'll do some damage so i made an appointment with tri-county powersports for next weekend. Any other ideas till then?
  7. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Are U getting any spark from the plug
    with it out of the bike hooked to the plug wire
    and grounded against the head while you crank the starter

and congrats Tee- Dub on the 1000 miles.
    I just turned over 2000
  8. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

Just did my 3rd oil change today at 976 miles. Gotta get some feeler gauges and check my valves for the first time. Bought some today, but didn't get the correct range as the thinnest one in the set is .008", Doh!
  9. 2010in306 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did pull the plug and it does arc. Unless the plug wire isn't connected property when installed its not as simple as that. I have spark, fuel, and compression so I have no clue.
  10. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have you checked the valve clearances?
  11. 2010in306 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just spoke.with George at up-tite and the exhaust valve maybe rusted and unseated instelf but I haven't checked yet. I'll have to look up how.
  12. 2010in306 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just spoke.with George at up-tite and the exhaust valve maybe rusted and unseated instelf but I haven't checked yet. I'll have to look up how.
  13. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Might look and see if the decompressor is stuck open at the head- cable junction. On mine the cable came out of the seat and it was stuck open , would not start.
  14. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    You have spark and compression the only other thing
    i can think of is if your TPS is out of wack it wont start
    I took mine Smr and set the TPS out of calibration today
    and it would not start it just sat there and popped a little
    then i recalibrate the TPS and it fired right up.
  15. 2010in306 Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok, George has her and he said the fuel pump had separated from its mount. He also gonna do some other minor mods and give her back to me.
  16. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

Common issue, good they've got it solved and it was simple.
  17. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Did you get your bike back yet
    how is it running
    what did they find out that was wrong
    Any info helps us all Thankx
  18. 2010in306 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Got the bike back from George today. Apparently it was full of bugs. He swapped out my battery for a better quality one, did the lamda plug swap, reseated the fuel pump and apparently the rubber on the intake had come undone which might have been the problem that actually kept it from running. $450 later got it home tried to fire it, wouldnt fire, out of gas. Top it off rode it for ten minutes and me being the brain surgeon hit the decompression lever killing it, it wont refire - battery too dead. Get it home stick it on the jump box, fires right up. Let it idle/let it charge rode it for 25 miles pulled off the freeway, on the on-ramp dies. Cannot fire, get it home stick it on the jump box fires up un-hook jumper leads, runs 1 minute then dies. The magneto isn't charging is my guess. Good news 405 miles. I guess i'm calling George in the morning.
  19. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    What a drag,
    Put a volt meter across the battery when you firer it up
    and see if it puts out More than 12 volts while running
    Thankx 4 the update
  20. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510