1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2011 WR150 OWNER Keeping Mikuni 38mm Carb

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by master62, Jul 20, 2011.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have the jetting working very well to 8000'. Only problem is mileage is 6-8 mpg worse than the PWK airstriker. I am going to try lowering the float level some more as I still sense that it is overflowing to easily. Just FYI
  2. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine was on all 3 carbs I tested. Now I get 21mpg in race conditions.
  3. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just did a 36 mile ride at a little less then race speed and got 23mpg. Before adjusting the float I was lucky to get 15mpg. It can make a big difference.
  4. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I honestly believe the BIG BOG that I was getting with the Mikuni was mainly the float level.
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Where is everyone setting the TMXX float? On a PWK I would always just set it slightly lower then level and it would be good for woods. But the TMXX holds so little fuel in the bowl I was wondering if I need to be a bit more exact with my settings.
  6. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I know on my PWK that it will run forever after I cut the fuel off. Even after I have lowered the float 3 times. I need to take an actual measurement.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have already lowered the float level on the TMXX significantly from stock and it is still too high. Burps gas under hard breaking, any steep down hill, or leaned over at all. When I get mine set, I will take a pic and some measurements to the bowl edge for comparison. Now I just need the time to do the testing.

Dwight, maybe between the two of us we can get some generic measurements that others can use as a starting point.
  8. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Could I test on my work bench? With a pwk I always tried to get it to not dump gas until about 45 degrees and I know from experience where the float needs to be. I was thinking of adjusting the TMX on the bench to where it can lean 45 degrees sicne I may have to make many adjustments. With the small float bowl I don't want to go to low as I am worried about a lean condition when on the main.
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Work bench testing might work for a starting point for sure. My bike ran great when delivered from Hall's. Then I took it to Maplesville, Alabama enduro. Then when I hit bump, roll off throttle then back on the bike would practically go dead before taking off. Now I think it was more of the float level. I would also suggest richer slide and smaller pilot jet. These things come with Huge pilot jets these days. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I didn't take any measurements but I kept adjusting my Mikuni float down until it would pee about the same time the left foot peg touched the ground. I did run into a snag though, you have to be careful with the clip that pulls the needle away from the seat because if it isn't just right it will sometimes delay the drop of the needle and fuel flow will get behind the curve and the bowl will go dry unless you lift on the throttle and let it catch up. (this is from too much slack in the clip on the needle valve... I think)
  11. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    On the TMXX, if you drop too much, the bike runs perfect until you get on a long straight away. Then it runs out of fuel.
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Maybe that was the deal with mine and I was blaming the clip for causing the needle to hang up. I thought that because it was inconsistent and I figured that maybe sometimes it didn't hang up.
  13. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Could be, I know on the bikes, when they are new, the float is usually off from them dropping and banging the crates around from shipping.

I had one that I went too far on the float and it caused an airlock in the fuel line.
  14. gixxer_gixxer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husky wr 125 09, 7 litre tank, I got approx 65 mins til rserve then another 10 mins, so bought a ims clear, and very impressed with it, fits perfect(justgastanks great service), anyhow put exactly 8 litres in it and got 90 mins over a mix of woods and open going, its in the ball park now, 7 litre tank costs time for refuels in race, don't know why they built an enduro bike with a tank handicap?? they should know better, my only gripe with bike.
  15. gixxer_gixxer Husqvarna
    B Class

float height on my tmxx is approx 7mm
  16. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I find that hard to believe. 'dropping and banging around in crates' has to be considerably less force than crashing bikes, throwing them down hillsides etc etc. The force required to bend the tab is quite considerable - probably more likely poor setting at the factory.
  17. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    That's where mine is now. It started out at 6mm.
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey guys my 08 CR144 (Walt) runs awesome but you sure make me want to give the RM needle a try. So... help me out by not making me read through pages and pages to find what the needle number is please. My bike has the stock carb and needle at this time, thanks.
  19. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    john01, i've been testing the following RM needles with my OEM '09 144, others can chime in with more direction but:

6CHY 16-62 (seems to be most recommended starting point)
    6CHY 17-62 (half clip leaner)

on float level, mine was too high as well, pissed gas everywhere just taking it off the stand. i lowered it a tad but i'm curious to hear if you guys come up with a measurement that's easy to mimic. i found an old post that had it 1 - 2mm below the bowl edge so that's what i'm running right now, definitely helped but may not be optimal yet.

just to add context, my jetting is as follows for ~300 - 1000ft ASL: 470M, 32.5P, 17-62 3rd, 5.0 slide, AS 1.5 TO (PowerNow plate). thing tractors awesome, rips up top but i still have a slight 'bog' when i shift on the pipe in open areas. spooges like mad too.
    john01 likes this.
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thank you very much for the info I appreciate it. I wonder though...I 'm running a 390 main now so did the RM needle make that much difference or do we have different carbs? Mines the stock carb that came on the 08 CR125.