1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2012 125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by earl61, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I make a trip to Evansville then to Bloomington every so know that area well.
  2. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    I like the CR for the fact the it has billet hubs vs. the WR's cast. I have always hated the finish of hardware on my CR/WR 250. All the bolts are rusty. Cheap plating. The cast hub always look dirty.
  3. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

We are happy with our WR125 too. Especially now that it is a 144. I can see the CR having more snap and response, but the WR is difficult to get hooked up on less than optimal terrain, so I imagine the CR is worse. In any case, unless you are a pro level rider it is all about the fun of riding a small bore. Once the WR is dialed in it makes one of the best all around trail bikes. It is possible to climb some near impossible stuff on the WR. And if you have the urge to race around it has plenty of go. And none of us on this site leave our bikes bone stock. CR or WR, all of us change every piece we can to get the best possible tool for our needs.

We will not sell our WR anytime soon. That being said, I would probably buy the CR if we bought another 125. I would be afraid I could not ride the technical stuff like I can on the WR though.

JS
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Don't worry about the slow tight technical stuff on a CR144 JS. I swear my CR in 144 won't stall and I can creep up hills in 2nd gear at a walking pace and never break traction. This thing is a mountain goat LOL. I don't know if the small bore, short stroke, high compression, carb mods or all that stuff combined but I never even cover the clutch when things get slow and tight. What's funny is on my 2010 GG 300 which is a tractor I do cover the clutch some. I guess the smaller bore bikes like the CR144 Husky just "feel" better to me when the going gets slow;opposite of what I hear other people say. If this thing was 3" shorter with e-start I would have it gold plated!
  5. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Ive been lucky enough to have spent a lot of time on both machines.......

motocrossed a CR for three years....and have been cross country riding the WR since 09 and currently still own it

you can use the CR anywhere...as long as you dont need lighting coils.....its easy to jet and it zooms through the rev range...quickly..if your good on a 125.... the CR is right up your alley

the WR is flywheeled more and has a more progressive advance curve.....harder to jet....but can be your best friend in truly rotten conditions....almost as fast as a CR but much worse if the jetting is not spot on.....

as Norm rightly pointed out its "horses for courses".......

differences....O ring chain...flywheel stator/advance curve...18 wheel/120mm tire...lights/ handguards...speedo
  6. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

But does any of this apply to the 12 WR with a totally new ignition?
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Good question!
  8. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I think Celtic Dude is going to be mounting up the 144 top end on his '12 WR 125 this weekend. It will be interesting to hear his impressions on the difference. I imagine a lot of the Flywheel effects that make the WR125 a little soft on the bottom/mid will be minimized. As I posted in another thread, I feel the CR and WR ignition curves for 2012 are very close if not indentical. I also really like the Ducati ignition. I think the '12 WR144 will be much easier to jet and ride than previous years of WR's. JMO
  10. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

By the way, both of my local Husky dealers have a 2012 WR125 or CR125 for sale. Someone needs to buy them both before I do! I am glad they are getting them.

JS
  11. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    You better get them. They make good christmas gifts. If you bring them in the house till spring, you can put a board between them and make a good coffee table!
  12. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    By most accounts I think the Ducati ignition has improved the WR performance......I personally havent tried one yet....I have heard with larger flywheel/ stator and lighting coils it still doesnt wind up as fast as a CR...and is still tough to jet:thinking:

For me the WR was a must have...our riding areas mandate lights front and rear visible from 60m.....and a plate with insurance and registration...with a spark arrestor (added)....and the rangers police it

you can in a pinch...wire in lights on a CR if your enterprising enough
  13. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's really not hard to get lights on a CR. You just need a Moose lighting wiring harness, a headlight and tail light, and to send the stator out to Rickystator. For a hundred bucks or so they'll wind it for 35watts worth of lights. With an LED tail light, that's plenty to run a nice head light.
  14. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Can't speak for the earlier ones but as an owner of a '12 I can say that stock out of the box the WR new ignition or not still has issues. I'm at a standstill at the moment reevaluating things as to me it's not a jetting issue as much as it's related to the Powervalves or internal. To say that I'm less then pleased with the ridability of the '12 would be an understatement. How Husky thinks it's ok to sell these things as is is beyond me as a first time Husky buyer would never return if this was their first taste of Husky.
    I've tried PV adjustments,jetting etc and while I've made some head way I'm still a good ways away from satisfactory performance and no I'm not buying new carbs etc...To even have to suggest that on a brand new $6000.00 motorcycle in the year 2012 is absurd.
    This is just reality as Celtic Dude can concurr I'm sure.
    montgob1 and speedkills like this.
  15. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I wish I had done a lot more research before buying the WR. I assumed that the gearing, porting and overall setup of the CR made it unsuitable for anything but MX. I have bought more new dirt bikes than I would care to admit but I have never had a bike I couldn't go riding with right out of the crate. Normally all you had to do with a two stroke is lean the jetting out after breaking in the motor. Husky just shipped the 150 kit to my dealer after he called and complained about it again. That is hardly what I would call customer service. :confused: I did send my carb out for mods and ordered the Suzuki needles but I really should not have had to do that. I do appreciate all of the support on Cafe Husky. I know I will get this working properly thanks to you folks! :cheers:
  16. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    trust me I was as confounded as yourself when I first rode my WR

felt like a boat anchor attached on the back of the bike.....:lol:

it gets better....and I think for most folks(and some wont agree with me) they run way better with the leanest settings possible
  17. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I just pulled my 125 top end off and was surprised to see that I had a seizure on the exhaust skirt. Not too bad but there is some light grooving of the adjacent cylinder wall. The ring wasn't stuck at all. Very strange since I've been running a 32:1 mix and rich jetting. Not a big deal as the 150 kit is going on and I'm planning on giving this one to Wally to play with. :thumbsup:
  18. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'd love to see some pics of this, as it's the first time I've ever seen a post alleging such. This could be a first. Please post some pics.
  19. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Before you drink the coolaid and throw your wallet at an obvious POS, Try a KTM ingnition. Not sure why but lots of folks on Cafe Husky think its normal, and OK to send carbs off, rejet for days, adjust powervalves, change PV springs, swap carbs to Keihin, ect, on brand new bikes. My CR's run good, no complaints about the power, the mikuni could be better but i tried a Keihin and I couldnt make it run better.

You cannot find husky CR ignitions on ebay for a decent price, if at all, but KTM stuff is reasonable. The KTM stator will bolt to a CR backing plate, and all the KTM stators i looked at had lighting coils. Cheaper than the moose stator and whatnot.
    jmetteer likes this.
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Why is it OK to change out the stator but not OK to adjust power valves?