1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2012 125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by earl61, Nov 29, 2011.

1. g_off Husqvarna
    B Class

Noob here.....I'm about to pull the trigger on my first Husky since my very first big bike when I was 15 in '84 (250 XC). I have the same question as the OP, and after reading this entire thread I'm no closer to a decision. My question is relative to the 2012s and it kind of sounds like there is not enough data yet.

I definitely want a 125/144, and plan to race the West CHEC enduro series mostly (D37, D36, AMRA). I ride 40A, and dabbled in AA for a couple years. I'd say the races are not tight by east coast standards, but definitely technical (lots of loose rock, big hills, boulder hopping etc.) Practice wise, I like to ride everything from stupid nasty goat trails to a little MX.

For a CR I see the advanges being out of box perfromance, but with the neccesity of having to add a big tank and kickstand at a minimum (in addition to hand guards and S/A common to both bikes). The WR sounds ideal minus the tuning issues. I have no problem doing a little jetting and power valve tweaking. Beyond that concerns me. Also, I'm on a pretty tight budget so the bike closest to ready to race wins....
  2. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    If the WR-150 is good enough for Dwight Rudder it should work for you. I'm not very fast but I've been riding for a long time. I've got a 2012 WR-125 with the 144 kit in it. Walt was nice enough when he was in the area to come over to my garage and hand file his own power valves for me since the kit had the wrong ones and loaned me his personal carb since mine was at RB Designs. The bike is now amazing. We rode some very gnarly technical trails and it pulled all of them with ease. Oh yeah, the last ride I went just over sixty miles on a tank.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Both have the same tank don't they?
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

John,

The new WR125 has the bigger tank~ I believe it is almost 2.5 gallons vs the 2010 WR tank that I have that is 2.25 gal. The CR still comes with the 1.8gal.
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Plus, there are some of them take off tanks out there from guys going to the IMS. I think I got my 2.25 gal tank for a buck and quarter with out the petcock.
  6. justplayin Husqvarna
    AA Class

I do now......:rolleyes:
    I just sent you a PM and shot it to your yahoo.

Thanks
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anyone got their RB carbs/rm needle on there 12's yet, and tried them?
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I've got the 17-62 in my '12 CR with the stock #4 slide and it's doing great. It's a lot cooler now so I'm not sure if I'll need to go to a 5 slide in the spring or not.
  9. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    You probably will when the warm weather hits.

What pilot size are you running with the combo?
  10. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm running a 35 with 1.5 turns.
  11. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's not bad at all. I thought you'd be a little lower than that.
  12. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    remember, this is still a 125. I'm still waiting on the 150 kit. That'll probably lower the pilot.
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Humm did not know that Walt, thanks for the info. My 08 CR has a big enough tank for me and I think it's 2.5 gals. My old back won't let me ride but so long lol.
  14. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Yes, the 2008 CR125 has a 2.5 gal (9 L) tank. When the changed frames in 2009, the spec sheet indicated that the tank shrunk to a 1.8 gal (7 L).
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cool not only can I outrun a 2009 WR125 I can run longer............jk:D
  16. smoke229 Husqvarna
    A Class

Earl , if you want to try out a 125 and a 150 i dont live too far from you (prolly an hour).
  17. g_off Husqvarna
    B Class

Ended up going with the WR, and after a couple of short ride I'm very impressed. The bike handles and turns awsome, and the suspension feels really good right out of the box. In fact the shock is about perfect and the fork just a tad harsh in the low speed stuff (whoops, rollers). Heck, who knows if I'm even in the ball park on spring rate (190#). Even in the 125 configuration the bike rips when on the pipe. Traction was optimum for AZ, but the bike was wheelieing out of corners and I was sticking to the rear fender of my buddy's 450 like glue.

But alas, like everyone else, no bottom or mid to speak of...In the flat twisties I could compensate by make sure to always downshift in corners and keeping a finger on the clutch at all times. Where it became a problem was in the technical climbs. I had to tackle these in first gear and on the pipe; not an easy or fast way to get up loose rocky singletrack hills.

Looks like I will be ordering the RM needle, spring kit, and putting in the 144 top end as soon as I get it. I was hoping to ride it in the 125 configuration for awhile. Like I said it has plenty of power on top...
  18. earl61 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Smoke 229 I, might take you up on that offer.Do you have a wr or cr?
  19. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Exactly the same as mine was when I bought it. Try adjusting the powervalve. Move the bolt in the slot almost to the very top and lock it in. Raise the needle and that should at least make it rideable. I rode a grand prix that way.
  20. earl61 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pulled the trigger and bought the CR125 today,man these Husky look awesome.That being said I, had a hard time spending the doe!But Gary at Superbike was fun to deal with,and hope feels the same about me I, love to negotiate.On the way home I, never missed my money,almost nothing makes you feel as good as a new bike.Thanks to everone for the input.
    lankydoug, krieg, MattR and 2 others like this.