2012: Best Year on Record for BMW Motorrad

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by ray_ray, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/573/1...12--Best-Year-on-Record-for-BMW-Motorrad.aspx

Most of the article is about the parent company but Husky did get this paragraph ...

BMW Motorrad subsidiary Husqvarna also had a stellar year, registering a 15.7% improvement on its figures as compared to 2011. While December was down by 4.7% for the brand, the high sales achievements reached earlier in the year provided more than enough to make the year a success. Husky’s off-road line-up remained the most popular, but sales of street models like the Nuda 900 and 900R as well as of the TR650 Terra and Strada maintained steady growth and added to the boost in overall sales as well.
    bigjon likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Much better than before BMW owned it and there was talk about how long they could hang on every year. Also seeing huskys everywhere in mags and ads and shots like they are main stream which was never the case before. Seems they are trying pretty hard to get back in the main stream media and into the hands of actual customers. Good job BMW / Husky.
  3. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

sales numbers of the recent years...
    2008: 13.511
    2009: 13.052
    2010: 12.066
    2011: 9.287
    2012: 10.751

r
  4. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for the real numbers, I know those reports try to spin stuff to look good.
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I've asked this before ...

What is your agenda for being on a Husqvarna site and downgrading this company? Jealous?

PS -- Its not a news flash that Husky does not sell alot of bikes, but if you sell just 1 more bike from the previous year, it is an increase in sales ... And until bmw says otherwise, its positive news.
  6. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Context? Is this all Motorad? Husky only? Worldwide? BMW down while Husky up?
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Its pretty cool to see the Dakar race with the Huskies running up front as much as they have ...
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna unit production per year.
  9. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ray, I have a pile of huskies and love them. It is just good to see what the real picture is and know that they are still below previous production, but up from last year. Just makes us better educated as to whats up.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks for being such a good guy and educating the ones that need it on why this good news actually sucks for the Husqvarna brand in your opinion ... we (not me included on this single topic) luv you man.

If you actually mean what you say ... maybe in the future try to temper your words in some manner somehow so you do not come across with such a negative tone for the brand this website and its members are trying to promote ...
  11. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
    Yea, If your in the stock market. Doesn't mean anything if you love the brand and enjoy riding. They could make just one a year - I would still try like hell to buy it.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    True and as long as 1 is made per yr, we have hope :) ... But you gotta remember dirt bike are a business ... bmw is a business and if the numbers don't increase ... They can do what ever they want to do with the brand ... Sell off their rights ... Even just stop the brand totally as harley did with Buell ... :( ... Of course the mastermind of Buells continued elsewhere I think ...

I'm probably overly defensive on the brand here and again, take my words as nothing personal or even worthy ... probably due to what I saw over on tt as they are a soap operas with their site on Huskies ...

I've got my bikes here including a 2T as my hedge against the future and the brand also ... But I'm hoping for the some growth and we all should be on-board here and keep pushing forward for Husqvarna's future ...
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    In 2010 they were selling left over bikes and probably making less profit than in 2012. Numbers sold is not always an indicator of success. Judging from magazine exposure and the fact that the same models are selling for much higher prices, my perception is that Husky is doing better.
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I gotta say Husky is better for no other reason than we see it more and more in advertising and racing with Dakar as the current example ...Husky has world champions in EU recently with the bikes we ride currently ...The TE449 quit SM racing as world champ.

Numbers are just numbers, 1 and 1 will always be 2 ... They are real but can be massaged to show certain aspects ... I'm been reading alot on Intels numbers and about how are they gonna compete in the tablet computer market because of the much lower profits margins on those tiny chips instead of the PC\server chips they dominate ... One fellow out there explained how it is all possible ...

Those sale numbers do look a little strange with that low point in 011 ESP ... If your gonna do any analysis on how Husky\bmw is doing ... You're most likely gonna have to back out to the Caviga days and see those numbers, taking into account the economy during those times and todays times and on and on ... That was never the intention of this ... Husky was 15% growth over last yr ...YEA ... bmw suits I hope are happy ... The bikes that have been dreamed up and pushed out the door under their time were called out by name as positive results ...
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Good to see Husky numbers going back up. To put it in perspective.... Total Husky production, is less than half of KTM sales numbers in the US alone. The last figures I saw from Cagiva days, put Husky US sales in the around 2000 bikes or less than 10% KTM sales in US. I know Husky US sales dipped in the BMW transition and I'm sure they have been steadily going up since. An added context... Husaberg sold 200 bikes a year in the US the last couple of years, Gas Gas 50 bikes maybe in 2012 and probably sub 200 in other years, so Husky has a good share.

Husky is growing, but KTM is huge, so don't expect to go to a ride or race and not see a sea of Orange....
  16. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    it shows that they make much more money on them

the first message is purely financial nr talk so 15% increase is money wise if they achieve that with percent wise increase in a lesser nr on the units it means they simply make more profit on them
    would be achieved partly by using the BMW engines/parts (cost reduction) and probably by giving less discount on them in the sales.

shows promising to me

Buying stocks in it NO buying a husky Yes

Robert-Jan
  17. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I agree with this thinking.
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I think it is hard to see one set of numbers and come to an accurate idea of what the overall meaning of them is. Someone can usually present another set of figures that would seem to indicate the complete opposite. But like has been mentioned, you don't have to look very hard or sift through pages of conflicting numbers to see that there is much more positive brand exposure.
    Motosportz likes this.
  19. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Without the Cagiva years numbers, comparable other companies (KTM etc), the overall economic climate (My house value fell 25% and hasnt come back up more than 5% yet), what we have doesnt really tell us a whole lot. I spent 10 years in the finance business; one can figure these things out, but it requires a lot more than 5 years of sales numbers during a recession to get the picture. For instance my local dealer is selling many more bikes than he was 5 years ago, on the other hand two other dealers in the state went out of business 4-5 years ago (but they werent selling many bikes anyway).

Basically we know enough to be curious, but Im not curious enough to go looking for more data :-)
  20. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Those numbers are not correct. Sales were up in 2011 over 2010, bringing all those figures into question.