2012 Enduro 2 Strokes - Images and Changes

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Ex HVUK, Jun 16, 2011.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Me too. If you look back, there was a time when the right side was the right side. I remember when Honda went right side for a while. They said it was better for making a light, simpler, more compact motor.
  2. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I personally am relieved. I just bought a left over new 09 300 and would be irritated if it was radically different. Now I can at least wait another year to see if I will need to drool. In the meantime I basically have a '12 bike -lol
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Disagree, for trail riders and older riders the e leg is a positive. I think Husky has missed an opportunity as the KTM 2 bangers are still struggleing with their e leg reliabilty. I know its tough out there but now is the time to give the opposition a quick 2 punch and grab market share.
  4. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    PV, you read my mind
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Just looking at the pictures, and it may well not be any model year change, is there some logic for a solid rear rotor while the front one is about as far from solid as possible? 250 model but the 125 one doesn't seem to have much carved out of it.

I am not sure the chain is on the wrong side but it is on the same side as the kick starter, shock resevoir and the exhaust pipe which must restrict some choices.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    If the chain on any motorcycle is wrapped around the sprockets, front and rear AND the bike pulls forward when in gear with the engine running and the clutch is engaged, the chain is on the right side -- A.K.A -- the correct side.

This is very testable also ... remove the chain from the bike that was used in the first test and place the chain on the opposite side of the bike from where you just removed it. The bike should not be capable of moving forward now with power applied from the engine with the clutch engaged because the chain is mounted on the wrong side ... A.K.A -- the incorrect side.

Is there some logic for a solid rear rotor while the front one is about as far from solid as possible? Not sure about any logic between having the different types .. Why have a wavy one anyway? Does it help heat build up or what?
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looks like the little guy gets the KYB's this year. 2 smokers keep Sachs at rear...only those things with valves get KYB rear. Also looks like "giuseppe" was so busy painting frames black and rims silver (maybe he got the directions from 2011 models backwards?) that he forgot to put the skidplates on the 2 strokers for 2012. Silencer on 125 looks longer....maybe a S/A this year? Fine to keeep cost down by small changes. I do think they could "EASILY" buy a bulk supply very cheaply of the Provini PV setups for the 250/300 to give some type of marketing edge as E start sounds like it will never happen. Orange has the adjustable PV as well as an e start; ableit it eats starter motor brushes like a happy hour customer devours the free pretzels! GG has the button for its 2 smokes but it is like a $750 add on option! I could hire a beautiful blonde sidekick to kick my bike for that price!

Joe
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    As to the brake rotor mentioned above

Why have a wavy one anyway? Does it help heat build up or what?

The way I understand it is a solid rotor is for mud runs as mud or crud get in the holes/slots and shorten pad life perhaps even to less than one complete event. I doubt heat matters unless the rider is at least beyond c level. Holes and slots in most cases will add surface area but making wavey on the edege would seem to lessen it. I figure it is weight savings, 2004 or so seems about the right amount of material/hole ratio to my liking. The ones I bend (the 10 year old ones with diagonal slots) straighten a lot easier than I expected.
  9. DVXC Husqvarna
    A Class

Not really. The offroad race line XC models geniolgy (sp?) is as follows:

08-10 were mostly the same, 11 was all new and now the 12 is as well. KTM is pouring cubic dollars into 2t development and Husky is not.

I am not hater and registered here on Cafe with the hopes to keep informed and compare models for my next ride. The '12 Husky line is not going to do it.

Side note, are the Husky forks a CC or OC design? Husky website sucks and does not define.

Thanks!

DV
  10. DVXC Husqvarna
    A Class

I sorta felt the same way. I bought an 09 300 XC with the full intent of removing the entire system and save the 5 lbs or what ever it is. One ride and I was hooked. If you have not owned one that is a pretty un-educated statement to throw out. Yes there is a bit of maintenance requiered but overall an excellent upgrade for anyone form a play rider to a hard core racer.

Husky would be wise to take a very hard look at the KTM line-up and business model in the niche bike off road market.

I race most major events on the west coast; I would break it down as 65% KTMs, 20% blue bikes and the other 15% is a box of crayons. They must be working pretty good.

I would pay equivelant KTM dollars to own a current techo Husky vs save a grand on a 10 year old design. Just my 2 cents.
  11. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well no new Husky 2 stroke cost them a sale over here. Wife now rides a 2011 GasGas EC250.
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I agree that GasGas has got it going on, they are going to get a bigger and bigger market share as soon as the average Joe gets familiar with the brand. At the time I bought my Husky it was still $1000 cheaper than a similar GasGas and I felt that with that money I could make the Husky better.
  13. DVXC Husqvarna
    A Class

Many 08 models had issues.

With near 100 hrs on my 09 I have had 0 failures and have only cleaned and greaed the system once. As with all things mechanical, I would say failure is the occasion but not the norm. The system is pretty tight from 09 to current.
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    My 08 TXC250 has 600+ hrs and zero estarter issues ... same battery even ;) ... I take it out from time to time to kick it over ... either way, no issues starting my bike...

GasGas has got it going on? Maybe but at a grand over the price of a Husky.... this is not a bike for average joe rider ... Plus gg has got just a tad more name recognition than I do ...

I should add that Husky has got to get the bikes to market quicker ... if the japan bikes are here in July \ Aug ... Huskies need to be on hand also ... This delivery date points directly at the VP level inside the company ...

An easy way to lose 5 - 10 lbs of total bike weight would be to sit in a sauna ... The really cool part is you do not have to do nothin' ... just sit for a short time....

Attached Files:

15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I would have been happy with a second GasGas but I went with the Husky not just for price but the Husky is a tall man friendly bike. The Gasser feels more 125 like (smaller and quicker handling) but that comes at the price of feeling a little less stable at high speeds. (maybe not a problem for better riders than me)

I paid $4,900 for my new 09 WR250 I found a few GasGas left overs for around $5800 which was a little less than the best deal I could find on a KTM. Now add LTR suspension a skid plate, a pipe guard, rad guards, hand guards, high bars and Tubliss with a new rear tire and the Husky is about even in dollars to the Gasser but could still get a tall seat and Fastway pegs before catching the KTM in price. Now consider that the Husky as stated above is proven reliable, easy to get parts for and work on it was an easy choice for me.

I know if you add up all the bling on my bike your going to say that's more than $1,000 but the other thing I haven't mentioned is that the price Bill at BMP gives you is the final price, no extra fees, where others had to add in about another $200.
  16. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would probably agree with Doug, the gasgas fells small and cramped like a japanese 125, combine that with the mellow power and it probably a pretty good bike for your wife. My friends gasgas bike always seem to need some sort of fussing though. The husky is more like a hammer, just use it.
  17. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Both terms are fairly offensive to me, quite frankly, and something we don't see a lot of here on CafeHusky...thankfully.

I, too, am of the mind that 2-strokes don't need e-start. Hell, 4-strokes don't either if they're set up properly for that matter. However, after having both knees surgically reconstructed and having a very achy right knee after riding my high-compression GasGas, I can see how an e-start would come in handy for some folks, regardless of their sexual orientation.
    dfeckel, oregonsage and lankydoug like this.
  18. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    KTM had a significantly upgraded smoker last year, and added linkage to it this year. Pretty big (and positive) changes, two years in a row.

Interesting, though, is that going to linkage is KTM's big news... you mean... like HUSKY!!?
  19. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

My wife also rides a 08 TXC450. So it was not mellow power or the small size, it's that the GasGas is light years ahead of the 2 stroke Husky. I had my first real ride on her bike today and I can tell you this thing is an incredible woods bike.
  20. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I cant help but wonder what would happen with my 300 engine in my TXC511 CTS chassis.... and another gear wouldnt hurt. They already made that gearbox and they already make the chassis. I think a small investment would inject some excitement into the 2 stroke line without compromising the solid engine we all like.