1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2014 CR125 what are the OEM spring rates?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by PC., Jun 16, 2016.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    My 50mm Zokes came with -3mm preload and I changed it to +3 and made a big difference on the feel of the forks on the small stuff. For one it took away the free play and for two the effect is times two compared to a shock. Do what ever you want I'm just sharing what I have experienced first hand and it does make a difference to not have free play in your fork springs.

If I understand what you're saying that the correct sag is lower in the travel, why not get the correct sag with the correct spring and spring preload and move the forks tubes up in the clamps the get it in the spot you want?
    NCSteve likes this.
  2. Travis616 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Honda CR125/134 build
    Moving the forks in the clamps would be more of a personal preference I think, and a little less pre load on the springs will give more sag. I think there needs to be some preload or else you will get a loose feeling at the end/beginning of the travel. I changed to the yz springs to get a set with the rate I wanted, but it's still a little high on the front. Not bad but when I find a softer set they will go in
  3. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    That's 6 mm, not 3.5, and if you had free play in your suspension, you had a setup problem.
  4. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Yea that's exactly what I'm saying. My bike came from the factory with a set up problem (too short fork springs) Here in this thread there are posts saying that their replacement springs are shorter then the OEM spring when placed side by side. If you already don't have enough preload and you install an even shorter spring then you might be creating a set up problem. Best way to know is to assemble the inner cartridge with the spring and check what the preload is. 3.5mm would have made my set up off by 9mm.

You say it wont matter on a long spring and I disagree. It's simple as that.
  5. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    I agree, even 2 or 3mm of additional fork spring preload can make a noticeable difference.
    My 150 now 165 came from the dealer with "310" springs for the original owner. When I installed proper RT springs for my weight they were 5mm shorter than what was in it. Sag #s were good, initial stroke was plush, but mid was vague and weak. Installed 2, then 3 1mm preload shims and now mid stroke is firm and progressive, still plush, still brutal in the bottom of the stroke :rolleyes:
    lankydoug likes this.
  6. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Remembered this discussion last night when I was working on the bike, so I measured sag to see where I was. Hadn't checked it since I installed the spring a few years ago. Static 45mm, race sag 110. Looks like I could probably tighten up the preload a bit, or just leave it. It's almost perfect.
    NCSteve likes this.
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Just saw this post and wanted to say thanks for the offer!
    I may take you up on it after I try out the .42/5.8 combo. I have a feeling the front end might be a little too light and feel unbalanced, so I may want to jump to the .44's.

I also found my old YZ fork springs and they're .48's. If anyone is looking for .48 KYB twin chamber springs (or wants to trade for .44's) then let me know.