1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st 250 or 300... YZ or WR?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by surfingboyo, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    That is defiantly from getting to hot, I run evans coolant,It will help prevent this.......Ya I was at Parker,but not racing. I was in a boot with a broken heel from someone hitting me head on, on 79.
  2. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    you don't necessarily need the jd kit,His needles are way to rich.. 45pj 172mj CEL 3clip and you will be real close
    shrubitup likes this.
  3. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    I'm off to the classifieds
  4. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    I could start my wr 300 sitting down without much effort in 3 kicks with the Lectron.
  5. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    I've had three YZ250s. An 03 04 and a 07. The first two were not usable on technical trail. The 07 had a Rekluse on it. Completely different bike motor wise - very useful on technical trail. Easy easy, very easy to start. Like clockwork. My WR300 with TMX (and JD) is hard to start when cold. However, the WR300 handles better, turns better, has better brakes, fits me better (I'm 6'2"), has more chug, an excellent kickstand (IMO :D), looks better, is heavier (only noticeable when not moving), starts poorly compared to the YZ, but comes outfitted with good off road stuff like the 18 rear/woods valved suspension/torque emphasis motor/stator/kickstand/axle pulls/tool less airbox/etc. It's up to you but I'd prolly add a RM250 or Honda CR250 to the list if you like a good handling bike like the Husky. :busted:
    454x likes this.
  6. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    two to three kicks max on my 09 300 ever. Doesn't matter how long its been sitting. Always fires that quick when cold, First kick when warm. I kick in gear and neutral, don't matter. I think in 4 yrs with this bike maybe twice it took more than 4 -5 kicks. One of those times I had a stuck float leaking gas like a civ. Seriously.
    I never just "kick" the thing though. I am extremely anal about getting it TDC though then giving one hearty kick. Have a keihin 38 cab if it matters
  7. surfingboyo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165XC
    Re. The CR250...
    I've always been told the engine of the late model cr is too peaky and aggressive for trail and bush riding? So I sort of ruled them out...
  8. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    if you registering it no choice but the WR eh? no rec reg in NSW yet is there? should be able to pick up a cheap run out wr250/300 if theres any left. yz be good with fww, lectron, susp work, bigger tank, gearing altered & maybe pipe/silencer for bottom end. 19" wheel here nor there imho. wr with lectron sweet also-& less to spend aftermarket on it!
  9. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    Idle speed doesn't change when adjusting a/s. It only idles smoother or rougher.
  10. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Any thoughts on a RM250 2T for a woods bike? Found a deal on one locally...
    troy deck likes this.
  11. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    See this post:
    It would need the typical woods-conversion stuff, but there is no reason that any of the 2T 250 bikes can't be made into a good woods bike. Pipe, flywheel weight, revalve, handguards, skidplate, let 'er rip.
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The last few years of the RM the motor was basically a YZ clone. The chassis is great for the tight stuff. I wish they still made them.
    marcmo0 likes this.
  13. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I guess a KDX 220 should prolly be in the conversation too? Tough to find them and when I see them they want a bundle. Although the suspension seems to be sub par by today's standards.
  14. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    KDX suspension is old school but can be made to work well in the woods. Their biggest challenge is outdated ergonomics. I had one and it was a great bike, awesome motor and good gearbox, but you can't get up on the tank like you can on a modern bike and it makes it hard to ride fast (or it did for me).

Any Japanese 250 2T will make a good woods bike with some work, IMO. I bought my WR300 because it was way cheaper than buying a new YZ/RM/CR/KX, and because it came with a license plate (a big deal for me). A screaming deal on a brand new bike that was almost exactly what I needed out of the box (plated enduro/trail bike) was impossible to pass up.

If you don't need lights and a plate, and you're going to buy used, just get whatever bikes you can get for cheapest. I would definitely include the Husky 125/250/300 models in my search, but I wouldn't stop there either.
    gary alger likes this.
  15. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

For an 05-07 Honda CR250 read this long thread at TT

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/941288-new-07-cr250/

For the 02-04 just set the squish band and toss the TMX carburetor in the trash. They are very good handling bikes. Good suspesnion and brakes too. I was too cheap and didn't swap my carb. Rode a friends 07 with carb, milled base, porting, suspension mods, and it was great and very accurate for technical riding.

More related to Honda CR250 setup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1072710-buying-a-cr250/
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

the 02 and up CR250 Hondas had crappy motors IMHO. They went to a electronic power valve and different porting and ruined a great motor. I would steer clear of those. The YZ has an amazing do it all run great all the time motor but kinda lazy handling. I agree witht he RM250 being amazing but is twitchy at higher speeds. I have an 02 CR250 husky and am enjoying that. Great motor and good handling. Starts EZ.
  17. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Some require less work than others. For example the 2004 KX250. Total tractor motor. Huge torque. Needs suspension mods for sure. Weak brakes. Small ergos for shrek types like me.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm about 6 foot and they feel like an 85cc bike to me size wise. Those things kill me ergonomically. The trans is also odd for off road use. yes, good motors.
  19. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    I've had a long time desire to basically have one of each KX, CR, YZ and RM 250 2t woods bikes. I am always on the lookout for a bike that needs a total rebuild that I can pick up cheap enough to be worth it. Add these 3 to my WR300 and already owned KX 250 and I'd be set. :)
  20. WVdag Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250 W/300 kit, 2013 CR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1987 Harley FXLR 10th year edition
    I have an 07 WR250 converted to 300 and with the PWK it was 3 kicks cold or warm. When you get tired 3 kicks are no fun, for me anyway. I bought a Lectron mounted it and then it was 1 kick cold and 2 kicks warm. Every time. Then something as simple as moving the kicker back one spline and I find it to be a 1 kicker now. Much easier to start. Go figure, I've read about that on here and thought no way. Trust me, made a big difference, for me anyway.
    I do have the PWK that I took off. If you wanted to get it shipped there and try it you could, only thing is I want it back.
    Oh yea since I bought the CR125 it's always one easy kick and Braaaappp. Yea I've drank the cool aid LOL.
    Motosportz and Eaglefreek like this.