1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st 250 or 300... YZ or WR?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by surfingboyo, Mar 4, 2014.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The UFO restyle kits really sets them off. That's a "must have" in my book.
  2. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a Huskie WR250 and a YZ250 in the shop and have a #1 plate with the YZ but damned if the Huskie ain't a great woods bike and turns super quick in the tight stuff but is still stable at big speeds. A shame they stopped making that good old Huskie. Pick one or the other, both great bikes. The Huskie walks on the YZ tho, especially on the ice.
    ray_ray and Dirtdame like this.
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yeah, my Husky is a great bike. I love it. It's dialed in to the nines and works awesome. It's not the bike, it's the KTM buy out thing that's got me wanting something else. I guess I'm just too anti-KTM and want out.

I never figured I'd have another Asian bike, but the YZ is just simpler to own than the Euro brands. I'm getting to the point where simple is way gooder.
    wait4me and Motosportz like this.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I hear your keyboard and see your words ... But the only asian model I'm riding at this point in time is my GF ...
  5. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    Forget about it. KTM is making fancy husabergs and putting attractive husky graphics on them. Hardly a husky.
  6. surfingboyo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165XC
    Ohhhhhhhh.... This thing is a beast!
    So much fun in the single track, heaps of power and a blast fanning that clutch. :love:

I have a few things to do to get it how I want it. :oldman:
    The essentials: bash plate, hand guards, rad guards, disc guard.
    Tame the power down low and improve torque off idle: 9 oz. fww, retard it by a couple of degrees, pipe and silencer.
    I am going to get it re-valved this week front/rear, and setup for enduro.

I think this will turn it into a pretty good off road bike.
    ohhh, and value v money v smiles is just huge!

cheers for all the tips and advice lads!
    roost on...
    :cheers:
    woodsrider and reveille like this.
  7. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    sweet bike. YZ's are friggin awesome
    surfingboyo likes this.
  8. sned2502st Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR250
    Only thing I wish on my Husky was a 6 speed. Other than that I think it is as good or better in certain situations than the YZ.
    ray_ray likes this.
  9. surfingboyo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165XC
    I went to a suspension joint (Terry Hay's Shock Treatment for Aussies), and got a revalve front and rear.
    Terry also changed the ICS springs to a softer rate.
    It is now plush, and tracks well...

Looking forward to racing it this weekend in the 12 Hour enduro.
    :love:
  10. smadams68 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I picked up a new 2014 YZ 250 not long ago after selling my 08 KTM 250XC. The bike was stupid fast, but fun. I initially went 18" rear wheel, Dunlop 808 trials tire, 13 tooth counter sprocket, O-Ring Chain (which does rub in the narrow rear guide), G2 throttle cam which has slower pull at first and then ramps up quickly later to catch up to normal throttle cam, GYTR flywheel, Bark busters, Hyde skid plate, homemade Kevlar and Carbon pipe guard, turbine core 2 silencer, front and rears suspension revalved and re sprung for 210lbs street clothes, taller bars, homemade taller and pushed forward bar mounts, and tall medium firm guts seat. The original seat was uncomfortable and you would slip to the rear fender super easy climbing ledge rock. The flywheel weight, throttle cam, and silencer mellowed the bike a little like I wanted. I would re-think your interest in a new pipe, the original pipe is considered to be smooth and develops good low end torque and mid range power.
  11. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Wow your list of farkles sounds like a list I would put together:cheers:
  12. smadams68 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Surfingboy
    Like yourself, I to sold a KTM and was looking at getting an Italian WR 250 or 300 (I was leaning toward 250). Next thing I know the rumors started flying about husky being sold. Then came KTM and wondering what they were going to do with Husky. Months went by without a clear future for husky and what KTM's intent was. After several months and news of husky leaving Italy I got cold feet with the husky so I opted for another "old school" and proven bike, that being the YZ. I also ride mainly slow going technical single track, lots of off camber, rocks, ledge climbs (lots of pilot jet work). That being said is why I shared the post above. Like you said this is a husky forum, but thought I would share my experience. As of late I installed a Rekluse Z start pro clutch. This mellowed the bike some more which is probably a good thing for me. I have to believe the clutch adds a bunch of inertia due to all the parts you cram into the clutch assembly. Afterward, felt like I was driving through, up, and out of corners too much so I put the original flywheel back on. The Z start clutch has its advantages for this old fart, but certainly takes some zip and/or hit out of the bike. The EXP may have been the way to go, but I didn't want the extra clutch pull required. The slipper clutches have their advantages, but they are not for everybody, and for me it was a trade off.
  13. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    A lot of people love the YZ 250s. For a 2 stroke, you basically have the options now of KTM, old Husky, Beta, YZ, Gas Gas, or soon the Sherco. The Italian Husky and the YZ being the only two that hit a fair price point.

It's all about the "feels right" factor, and that for my is the KYB sprung WR250/300 platform. My initial impressions are that the 6 speed 250 is going to hit that sweet spot perfectly for me. What will I do when that frame gives out? I'll have to wait and find out. The YZ would be worth a test ride and a look though.
  14. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ms345, what's going to make your 12 WR250 frame implode?
  15. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    hahaha...I was thinking the same thing
  16. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Around 100 hrs of racing a year. I've got spare engines to keep me going. I could make forks work from any modern dirt bike. Shock I'm sure I could replace. Frame...that's something that isn't quite as replaceable.

I've seen Gas Gas's not last 3 years of a more casual racing schedule before the frame elongates and the swing arm goes sloppy.
  17. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas geese is lower quality IMO