1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 3rd seizure on a 12 wr300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by a t castle, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    High Society likes this.
  2. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm

I sprayed stater fluid behind the stator while bike was running. And nothing happened. I held the throttle at a high rpm, and still nothing changed. I also sprayed it around the the intake boot. Nothing changed. Pre-Detention? Could this cause the high heat?
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Absolutely measure the piston, bore and ring end gap this time. Their is A,B,C pistons and they are different sized. Might simply be you rebuild them to tight although I would think this would have caused issues quicker.
    Tinken and High Society like this.
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It could leak air in from the intake boot, base gasket, center spit of cases, etc. Husky did have an issue with crank seals, how long has it been since replaced? What is heat range of plug>?
  5. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    Never replaced, bike is a 2012. 20-25 hours. Heat range of 9.
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    What kind of riding where you doing when you had wall contact? Were you running 87 octane fuel or higher?
  7. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    High speed desert riding. I was running 91.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You may of have just got it really hot/detonation. In order to run higher mixtures of oil, you must jet richer. Not only because you are displacing a little more fuel, but because the oil will actually lower your octane down. Modern oils are not as effected as the old ones, but it may still of lowered you down below 85. If 927 is available, it will protect better than M. Lucas octane boost will push you up three numbers and is inexpensive. We also run waterless coolant, there is no hot spots and it helps for high speed desert.
    High Society likes this.
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Has anyone mentioned timing yet?
  10. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    What's the approximate octane rating for premix oil? Seems like it would have to be really low for it to have a real influence on overall octane...

The difference in fuel delivery from 24:1 to 50:1 is really small, like 2%.

I'm convinced that a totally hammered piston like that is the result of some major flaw, not a main jet 1 size too small or running 50:1 instead of 40:1. Air leaks or the wrong sized components seem like likely candidates. Wally has also suggested (several times) that the bottom end looks way too dry, I'd take the mans advice and look into that...
    Tinken and 2premo like this.
  11. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    personally i would get the cylinder measured and see if its got a taper on it, then i would check the water pump is circulating and that there is no crud in your coolant system.
    i would drop a little more oil in every mix, how far into the ride have the seizures occured?
    questioning warm up time and thermostat if your 300 has one.

how did the piston rings look were they eaten?
    any pictures of the damage would be very helpful.

its truly gutting when the rear locks up you have my sympathy:(
  12. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    Being as though it seized, the engine most likely got really hot. Replace all seals, overheating is bad for seals!
  13. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    Can't change it, i have the same bike, same year. By the way that trans is still going strong!
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    1.9% actually. I had this argument with management already. Leaning your mixture out is more myth than fact.

I honestly don't know. In the old days before synthetic modern oils, the octane was often reduced from 92 all the way down to 72. This gave the effects of a lean mixture without the understanding of what might really be happening. Older recipes of 2 stroke oils contained octane boosters, such as Blendzall. Modern oils do not effect the octane like this nearly as much, but you could see what would happen if you ran 87 by accident. Because octane has been lowered, more fuel must be delivered to counter the added heat. If your spark plug becomes too wet, adjust your spark plug to match your fuel, never the other way around.
    juicypips likes this.
  15. broken biker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1994 TE 610 2012 WR 300
    po
    possible pre-det caused by erratic spark from faulty ignition.check for consistent & strength of spark.
    High Society likes this.
  16. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    A big hug goes out to both you guys. It just sucks to have this kind of trouble with such a simple motor. Not to mention the lack of confidence it gives you in your machine. Best of luck in finding this menace.
    High Society likes this.
  17. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm
    I rejetted mine and I don't seem to be having any issue. 20 hours on the new top end since. (Have hour meter)
    Borntoride71 likes this.