4 Stroke Lectron - 04 TE 250

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by dukepilot, Sep 11, 2013.

1. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    So the SM610 now has an option instead of the FCR? Is it all done now? I am so ready to get rid of that FCR and ride my 610 more.........
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yes. We have a carb working on the 610. I thought it worked really nice. The bike owner was on the fence and might put the FCR back on. I think it just needs a slight tweak and it ran great for my test ride. But here is the deal. The Lectron is a VERY simple and EZ to use carb. It is a "performance" carb and not really intended for a bike someone wants to walk out and hit the starter button and let it idle for 5 minutes before taking off nor sitting in rush hour traffic. Why? Well the metering rod carbs are super sensitive to draw. As such the very small metering opening on the rod (remember no idle circuit, no plot jet, etc) controls the idle. We have updated the carb with a air bleed circuit making fine adjustments of the low end EZer. In our 4 stroke testing and also mentioned in this thread there is somewhat of a puff of black smoke (rich) right off idle when snapping the throttle hard in neutral. There is also a good but not 100% steady idle with these carbs. I just want to be 100% up front with these facts.

That said actually riding the 610 test bike it was very snappy, pulled great and ran hard. And this was with little to no adjustments or time to sort some things out. IMHO it ran great. You are removing a super complicated multi circuit carb with a accelerator pump and million other circuits and putting on a single circuit and insanely simple carb in its place. Surprisingly it still has all the snap and power of the FCR regardless. So basically what you are getting is a very good carb that is super simple, EZ to dial on the trail, nearly impervious to water contamination and runs great but are trading away some idle steadiness and might have a slight bit of black smoke once in a while when grabbing big handfulls of throttle. If you have a well sorted FCR your not going to gain a ton of running performance IMHO. Maybe better MPG but that has yet to be verified. Really the big advantage over the FCR is the simplicity of the carb and the ability to adjust it externally and very easily. The Lectron is also very altitude compensating. If those attributes are of interest to you the Lectron might be the ticket.

For any other bike without a FCR I think these Lectron will be a huge advantage. Older Delorto 570/510/610's would run much better with the Lectron and run harder to for example.

Just trying to lay it out 100% as i see it. Make up your mind from there if this is the right carb for you or not. Feel free to ask more questions and I'll do my best to give a honest answer given my limited 4 stroke use of these carbs.

More FCR / Lectron on a 610 info here... http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/610-lectron-installed-and-tested.34614/

Very EZ to get to the air screw, idle and choke as configured even with the big IMS tank. The rod was EZ to as you can just rotate the carb and pull the slide out without removing the carb.

[IMG]
  3. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    This is a fair summation of my experience with the Lectron so far. I also have a 2006 SM 610 with a very well setup FCR (Merge racing AP spring and adjustable leak jet, different AP diaphragm, velocity stack with remote adjustable air main jet). If I had it to do over, I'd go for the Lectron straightaway because it is simpler and easy to tune. With all the mods and trial and error with the FCR, I went through the Lectron would have cost me less time and money. If you like the performance of your FCR and spent the time dialing it in, a Lectron is probably not going to be much of an improvement.

Motosportz likes this.
  4. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:

DP, I bought my 06 SM610 right around the same time you did. I remember talking to you when we all were "Husky 610 FCR Beta testers!" over on SMJ.

I started off with the JD Jet kit, but it was for a 450/510 back then with no 610 dedicated kit. Since then, I only have ~5K on the bike :(

Now I have a 610 specific kit with little time on it. I just got a cherry Arrow exhaust system (NIB) so I want to try that as well. If this new jet kit and the Arrow exhaust don't clean this up, then I'll go with a Lectron. I love the bike, just want it to run better.

I have a Lectron on my 13 Berg TE300 and am very happy with it. Went from the east coast to Colorado this year and only adjusted the PJ and was spot on. Good stuff.
  5. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    Hi Firebolter, that was a while back! The FCR is not a bad carb, just complicated. That JD kit should have the correct leak jet and that should help clean up the carburation. Give it a try!
  6. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Actually the updated 610 specific kit did not come with a leak jet, just a pilot, couple mains and a new 610 needle. It seems alot better. I had updated the Leak jet on my own along with the Honda diaphragm. We'll see! I love the bike, it's a keeper for sure. Personally, I think the 41mm FCR is a bit big for the bike. My KTM 525 has a 39mm and it work fabulous. Agree the FCR is a complicated carb as carbs go.
  7. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    I'm still running the JD kit for the 450/510 with red needle. You might want to try the Merge racing A/P spring along with that leak jet. Good luck!
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

the Lectron has non of those parts :D
    dukepilot likes this.
  9. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    For clarification on this, it does look like the front of the carb is not all the way in. The carb is in fact as far in as it will go. Perhaps a carb boot/manifold from the FCR equiped 2005 or later TE 250 will provide a better fit.

10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Glad it fits right. We can make them most any size. thanks for the feedback.
  11. STANIMAL Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    WXE260
    Is there a model for an XR250 ? What happens if a big bore kit gets installed later on ? Does the carb compensate for that ?
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

they can be fit to almost anything and have been on many XR's. Would be a nice performance upgrade for that bike. No problem with a big bore kit. Email if you are interested and we can work out the details. thanks.

motosportz@gmail.com
  13. supervision Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 te250
    Other Motorcycles:
    ossa,honda,yamha
    Dukepilot, I too have tmr36 on my 2004 250 Husqvarna, nice looking Lectron. Did you still have the stock,#52, needle in your TMR? I have been searching for a #53 needle in an effort to tune away a rich condition. My impression of the motor is that if would benefit from additional flywheel, to make it hook up, and not spin so easy. I know it is a judgement call but does the Lectron, help it make smother power?
  14. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any more updates on or user experiences on 4 stroke lectrons? I was planning on trading my 510 for a 2 smoke, but it looks like I'm keeping the beast. I'm all for simplicity. If I could get a little better mpg's & less flameouts at low rpm's. I'd definitely be interested.
  15. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    The Lectrons work fine on my 450 and 250. Easy to setup, simple in design and easy to tune. You could probably sell your stock carb to offset a good portion of the cost of your Lectron. Despite the lack of an accelerator pump on the Lectron, throttle respond is excellent. Once you get it dialed in, you should have fewer flameouts.
    Ruffus and Motosportz like this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    There has also been some rod design progress for our 4 stroke off road needs done. I just have not had that many 4 stroke customers to know a ton about them. The handful of people who have got 4 stroke carbs from me seem to like them just fine. Several people got 2 from me. Good indication but as I said I am a little green on the 4 stroke side if these carbs still.
  17. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have you noticed any difference in fuel economy, good or bad?
  18. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I have the latest updated Lectron sitting at the post office (thanks Kelly) waiting for me to sign for it.
    I have been too busy to get there during hours but will report when I get it on the bike.
    dukepilot, Ruffus and Motosportz like this.
  19. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    For your 610?

Re fuel economy, yes it is improved but it varies drastically depending on how you ride. At low throttle openings, the Lectron gets good fuel economy. On the 450 SM, fuel economy is better than what I was getting before by about 10 miles per tank.
    Ruffus and Motosportz like this.
  20. supervision Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 te250
    Other Motorcycles:
    ossa,honda,yamha
    dukepilot, and kelly, thanks for the updates on this conversion, The latest improvements I have made, to my 2004 te250, are a g2 400 throttle and cutting back some of the steering stops on the bottom triple clamp, made it much more ridable at low speed. I still can't believe the way these TMR's pull all that dust to the slide! I made a filter to stop it, butt just one more you have to beware of. One of the guys I ride with just got a green sticker ktm200, a fews ago we did 30 miles at Hollister, he hauls ass, and I putt, by days end, his 3 gallon tank almost went empty!!