1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 570 Husaberg to a WR300???

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Chums, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    Hi all this is my 1st post.

I currently have the 11' 570 Husaberg and race this bad machine in hare scrambles here in the Midwest. The bike is point and shoot dialed in on everything suspension, mapping, rekluse, protection and on and on. The bike is a giant lazy guy cheater bike and I think it's awesome for me being relatively new to woods riding I'm 5'10 and about 210lbs. That being said it's way slow when the trail gets tight and twisty.

I'm looking at a 13' wr300 that has a few hours on it and am worried about going to a 2 stroke again (rode them in my MX Days ) since they do ride different than the 4 banger I have grown to like.I am looking at Husky because of the buyout and having more dealer support nearby and the smoking deals to be had.

I also know the bike is tall, the same height as my berg and I custom made my own step seat by grinding out an inch so I'm not worried about the height I will likely need to do the same with the Husky. I also will add a Rekluse and it looks like they only offer the 2.0 right now, I will get the suspension tuned for me (B woods rider) but not sure if I will go with Halls or with Junior Jackson at fun Mart ( real happy with the berg suspension he did for me) nervous that the KYB suspension is going to be motorcross-ish and not plush like the berg.

Another thing was possibly adding the Lectron Carb since I really want this thing to be smooth and tractor up sloppy hills and not be in a pile with everyone else at the bottom. Other than these few things, I have fastway pegs from my berg, TGT Subtank bars (dont need stabilizer), G2 barkbusters, and everything else one would need to compete safely other than a skid plate, which I will get.

The dealer has a WR125 that could be turned to a 165 with all the above mentioned goodies but I'm really leery about going to something that small after the big berg.

I have read a bunch of threads and think these bikes are good deals for the money and have owned a 07' TE610 back in the day, so I'm a little familiar with them. Let me know your opinion on the WR300, WR125 and if I have forgotten anything that is a must have for these bikes.

Sorry for the long post!!
  2. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    i would ride a 125 and see how you like it,if you do,add a 165.Sounds like you are use to big bikes and a 165 will be probably feel like a mountain bike but I bet you will faster due to how nimble and the power/weight ratio of a 165.
    The 300 will be more than enough but the trade off will be a larger feeling bike.
    I would ride each.
  3. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    My current riding style is put it in 3rd and go. Literally, LOL, even in third I can blip over logs so I'm way nervous about going to such a small bore as the 165 and having to worry about keeping it on the pipe and not spinning out up big slick up hills so thats part of the reason i was looking at the 300. I think the dealer has a 144, would riding that give me any better idea of what the 165 would be like? Might I assume after riding the 144 that the power of the 165 would be a little better along the entire range?

I've ridden a KDX200, new Beta 300r, KTM250 xc, late 90's 125's and 250's and a slug of other 4S bikes so thats what I'm working with for a comparison. I thought the Beta 300 was a ton of fun to ride and that guy thought my 570 was a blast.

I will likely be checking the 125/144/165/300 out this week at the dealer, hopefully the dealer is willing to let me run them around the parking lot at least. I secretly think the 125/165 would be a blast but I ride such a wide variety of terrain in a single race I wouldn't want to regret it every time I rode.

Thanks for all the comments!

The Berg, from the factory street legal, modified to hare scramble:

[IMG]
  4. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not going to be a popular opinion here but... KTM 350. I had a 570 Burg too, and my KTM 530EXC is getting converted to a 610 this week after blowing up as a 570 twice due to defective "built" cams. Exhaust valves broke right off!!!

I have a 99 WR125 that I found for a deal with almost no hours on it so I grabbed it. There is no way I will be able to go back to a 2t full time. I raced 125cc back in 93-97, loved them! Tracks changed for the 4t and so did I.

I've been racing 4t since about 1999 on a 620SX, 520, 525, 450s and a 505 along with a 250f mixed in there too. I tried a 250 2t back years ago, I could ride it but couldn't really adjust, kept it a month. Now I get on the 125, I can ride it in certain circumstances but not everywhere and a 250f is a natural thing to adapt to. I jumped on a buddies KX250f and was instantly at home, the 125 is still super foreign to me after 8 hours on it.

I rode a 350SXf, same thing, but it just grabbed the line in a turn, sliced the track actually. The 505 I was on pushed to the outside. The 350 was like a razor, look there, go there. In fact, it cut so hard and tight I had to change my input drastically or I'd under cut my lines.

I've tried my buddies 165, if you are a 2t guy it will be easy to ride, but more critical shifting than a 250f or 350f for sure. I need the thump and stable torque/HP curve of a 4t, and they make power everywhere from bottom to top. I can ride my club track on a 450-570cc in 3rd gear and do every jump with ease. The 350 too, the 250f needs 2 gears. On the 125 I won't even try half of them anymore. I've cased each one so hard already and I just can't trust myself to snick a gear on the face of a 90' jump anymore while WFO and skittering up the ramp. Stable, predictable power is what I need right now. The 2t bikes just don't have the spread.

If you are Husky bound, the 310 is a good bike, better bottom, less top by a good amount and a goofy E-start gear set. I'd go for the greater power/gear box spread of the 350 but for the right price...na, I'd get the 350.

47 year old vet, "A" but slowing down every time I ride! (don't get hurt or old!) MXer and scrambles/fast race pace trails guy.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Some people end up liking two strokes better than four strokes. In my case, I think that it is because I started out on them at a time when that was the only type of engine that was truly competitive. I have friends that just recently started riding dirt bikes, who started on four strokes, but switched to two strokes because they found them to be more fun to ride.

I like my WR300 I suppose, because I'm lazy and I like loafing along at low RPMs and being able to hit the throttle for that abrupt slug of torque that it produces. The little bikes are fun and a bit lighter, but require higher RPMs than I like.
    robertk61 and lankydoug like this.
  6. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Great info! I have ridden the 350ktm, actually a new 13', and thought the way the bottom end power turned on was similar to the 570 with a little less umph but then at 1/2 throttle and up it fell on it's face but that's riding them back to back. I see a bunch out there and think there ok but I would need to go to a 450 4S I think but I might as well keep the 570 at that point.

Glad to here you can be lazy and loafing on the WR300 because that's my current game plan to make sure I last 2hrs straight on it!
  7. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Was that a restricted EXC 350? You need to try one unleashed like a SXf. No shortage of top end, but the 570 combo is special. I don't know how I rode my bike as a 510cc!
  8. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have all of them and cr 125 cr 165 wr 250 cr300 te 510 I use to think there is nothing better then a 165 BUT then I finally got the wr converted to CR 300 dialed in and if I could have one bike it would be the 300 For years and years I talked 125 now I am talking 300 go figure Sorrie Walt I have been cheating on the 165 with a old out dated over weight 300 but we are in love and leading in the Nationals
    lankydoug and Xcuvator like this.
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    as Dirt Dame says big 2t have a TON of bottom end and are very easy to ride, also typically weigh less so they are easier on you for the entire day
    I ride with a 4t group and I am the only one not worn out at the end and fyi am also the oldest
    Dirtdame likes this.
  10. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

My son had a 2002 KTM 380SX, I beg to differ. Riding it was like getting hit in the ass with lightning!
  11. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

I also had a 380 KTM, my only complaint was that year was a 5 speed
    it was a very tractable engine grunted all the way down and pulled seemlesly through the RPM's
    miss that bike
  12. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I used to race a 360SX back around 97. Too much motor/snap in SX form IMO. I haven't ridden the EXC versions of that bike, but I bet I'd like it more, even for MX. Which did you have? We used to bump into each other on ktmtalk, in the 380 threads, right?
  13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

mine was an MXC
    I was never on KTM talk, actually I found this site by accident and from reading here learned of KTM talk
  14. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ah, it was another guy here. Great site, lots to glean there.

Yeah, the light flywheel on the 360/380SX was pretty nutty. It makes the Burg 570 feel sluggish, LOL.
  15. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Any comments on the KYB suspension and how they compare to the WP open cartage? I see KYB on some forks out there does KYB do re valving or are guys just throwing stickers on?
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Along with fitting the proper springs, I have nearly every bike I get revalved (both shock and forks) for more high speed float in the rocks and square edged ruts. I had it done to the WPs on my KTM (when I owned one), the Marzocchis on my TE450, and the Kayabas on my WR.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We revalve KYB, they are excellent. Sorry to hear about your Berg, that's a great bike. I have a 300 XC which is very light weight and fast, but it is nothing compared to your 570.
  18. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yeh the 570 berg is super fun! When I get it into tight handle bar locked to handle bar locked situations it gets tiring pretty fast but once I catch a glimps of open sky I'm off and gaining ground again! I''m looking at the 13' wr300 this afternoon and have a little concern about the frame and tabs and things cracking and breaking.

I'll check these areas over very well and plan to gauge my purchase partially on how willing the dealer seems to want to stand behind this bike!

The bike is completely stock from the pics, down to the original tires, and it appears to only have a few hours on it like a demo.

I hope to get the bike for about 3,000-3500 less than a new KTM 300 but I dont want to spend that amount of money fixing things??? Hopefully I can put the Lectron on, a rekluse 2.0, maybe a gnarly pipe, and have the suspension tuned and not have to worry about anything other than normal maintenance items ??
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'll stay with my stock 08 WR250 ...These are very good dirt bikes for any dirt riding ... Even when stock.
    102_4525.JPG
  20. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    The stock KYBs forks on my 4t machines (010 TC250) are great .. Apparently the factory chose my size to set up the front forks because on MX tracks I close the clickers and trails I open them ... I'll be sure to get the oil amount in the forks when I change the oil ... I'll go back with the same amount and keep these forks the same as they are now

One TC250 forks has had work done it ..Not for me and not sure what was done but it works well also ... Slighty better than stock but I'd never spend on the stock forks after the first ride ...