1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 95 WR360 Rebuild/Restoration

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by LemoneyF, Oct 26, 2015.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    what bout powerseal usa for recoat? $450 high isn't it but dollar no good I spose. was that including postage both ways? what do electrosil charge?
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wossner pistons would be number 2 behind the long lasting OEM pistons.
  3. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Oem are cast though aren't they?
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    cast doesnt mean less quality. the stock husky pistons for years were cast mahle. top notch quality and they lasted as good as anything. an advantage of cast is tighter bore clearance as they do not expand as much. i like wossner however, they seem to hold up well.
    ohmygewd likes this.
  5. LemoneyF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 WR250, 95 WR360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FS650
    Yeah the wossners hold up pretty well in my other bikes. They would be coated too yeah?

Unsure of what electrosil charge. Im trying to chase a rumour that theres a guy in brisbane that does $250 recoats :o

Yeah that exchange rate is brutal at the moment, hence why Ill try and keep as much in Australia as possible. And on that topic, one of the things I need from the states is plastics. Ive got 98/99 radiator shrouds, 92-99 MX rear fender (just screw in a number plate and light assembly), and 98/99 side panels ready to be ordered from DC plastics. I will use something a bit different for the headlight and ive got a front fender already. I dont think Im ever going to pay so much for 5 plastic panels in my life.
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I'd just worry in a 360 if you're running 150 hours plus on a piston bout skirt cracks is all. Had gd life out of 2 vertex pistons in my 300 up to 100 hours. I'm sure they'd be fine for 150 though
  7. LemoneyF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 WR250, 95 WR360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FS650
    Yeah I've heard the 360s are pretty gentle on pistons. 150 is great for a 2stroke. Maybe a ring change or two.
  8. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    I average around 160-180hrs on a piston with 1 ring change. Since l've owned my 360, l've bored twice: 1 from a seizure caused by a lean out and 2 after reaching the "C" type piston...l'm now approaching my third rebore...not bad for an old girl!!

Really majority of modern day pistons will be great..just jet the bike correctly, change/clean air filter and quality premix and these pistons will last longer than 120hrs.
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Well im on 190 hours on original piston i bought with the bike, 2nd set of rings.
    I know its slack but everytime i try and do preventatve measures like put spare cylinder on new piston in i seized it sooo im just gunna wait till it grenades on me then put it back together.
    ohmygewd likes this.
  10. LemoneyF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 WR250, 95 WR360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FS650
    Gents.

I've always worked over a chassis first because looking at a sweet roller in the shed invariably motivates me to finish the engine work!

So yeah, frame is back to bare metal for a respray in blue. Forks are disassembled for new seals and I finished the swingarm a few days ago.

While I was at it I hit the bore with some pretty fierce cleaner. The marks from the first photo have cleaned off and I've noticed something else- it's still on its original gilardoni piston with a number that matches the bore. Woah.

The hours on the motor are totally unknown but I suspect it's bugger all. So before I send it off for a replate I'm going to hone it and see what I end up with. I'm not sure if it's worth doing at this point.

I've opened up both brake cylinders now and I suspect they'll need new seals to go in.

Here's what killed it
    144672771582323151492.jpg

Anyone know how to fix these? For the life of me I can't work out how the cable comes out! 1446727818295312970804.jpg
  11. LemoneyF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 WR250, 95 WR360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FS650
    Also dropped a message to Motosportz about a shiny new lectron.
    Darrel78 likes this.
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    youll want to contact lectron directly, kelly isnt dealing with that stuff anymore
  13. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Wow! When did Kelly stop handling Lectron? I got one from him just a couple months back.
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    He's OB and officially works for Trail Tech.
  15. LemoneyF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 WR250, 95 WR360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FS650
    I got a line on a lectron carb, $530 to my door. Ouch. I'm still keen however, if not for the improved performance then for the mechanical novelty haha.

There's some nice alloy underneath the flaking engine cases, so off with that.

14472412101241802219028.jpg

Getting this finished is painful. Blowtorch, paint stripper and wire brushes.
    1447241414715-293167291.jpg

Starting to track down some bits and pieces also. Chain rollers, grips, chain, sprockets ect. My experience with old husabergs is coming in handy for finding parts from other bikes that will fit haha.

Attached Files:

juicypips likes this.
  16. dhallilama Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '96 WXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many. i'm addicted.
    when i stripped the paint from mine, a pressure washer was invaluable. put the stripper on, let it soften the paint, hit it with the pressure washer and not much of anything left on the frame.

sure was a lot of paint chunks everywhere else, though...
  17. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    What is the best paint stripper? Nitro mores was the daddy in uk till all the eu bullcrap took over now its as effective as toothpaste.
    It used to burn skin on contact now i use it as a moisturiser!
    johnnyboy likes this.
  18. dhallilama Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '96 WXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many. i'm addicted.
    used to be able to get all the good chemicals here, but the EPA and everyone else stepped in... now toothpaste might be an effective alternative to half of what's available off the shelf.

i have a gallon of some soy based stuff... made for removing house paint... but hell it works pretty good for automotive/enamel/urethane paints. just have to let it set for 24+ hours where its warm. not like the old stuff that'd start stripping the paint off of everything within a 5 foot radius right when the can was opened :D
    2premo likes this.
  19. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    I hear that sad way of the world now.
    2premo likes this.
  20. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just pulls straight out. The end of the cable as you can see is square brass, it receives into a square hole the screw on cap holds it. Just grip with pliers and should pull out.
    Later George