A total;y conventional E-bike and built right down the road from me. Got to go snag a ride.

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

No I'm not saying that(bold). The total energy is an easily quantifiable number(as I noted), but it doesn't actually give you a real life range (in minutes/hours of riding), because you don't know what the actual energy draw will be from the battery in any given second (that's where the usage algorithms come in to play- the ones you don't have).
    Yes, theoretically you could use it up in 2.4minutes by utilizing all 48 kilowatts of motor capacity, but there isn't a living soul that could ride a bike with that much power WOT at max speed offroad or on an MX track for 2.4 minutes, not RC, Not Bubba, Not Villapoto. The only place you could probably expend all that energy that quickly is at Bonneville.
    Also, trying to compare energy usage directly to gas engines will give you bad results, as electric bikes can be ridden differently, due to the torque delivery(100% available at 0 RPM), compared to gas engines that don't put out full torque until 1/2 or 3/4 into the RPM range. That has a major impact into how the bike will actually draw energy from the battery- again affecting the real life range.
    Also, given that regenerative braking is (relatively) easy to incorporate on an e-bike & it's probably reasonable to recapture 25% of spent energy, that has a huge impact on range and time usage per charge. No gas engine can do that that I'm aware of........

Edit- In addition, there is little to no battery draw when the throttle is closed and the bike is coasting, yet (non hybrid)gas engines continue to use energy as they never go below idle. That still counts as riding time(range). Riding offroad involves a lot of coasting. Those are significant factors that need to be figured into the usage algorithm. Add that up with regenerative braking and all of sudden you may have doubled or tripled your useable range.
    Not bad.

The math is fun, but without all the proper info to use as inputs, you're likely end up with improper results.

Jus sayin
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    This is a great thread. A case of beer is 24 around here and boxes of 30 as seem on the sholder in an avatar on here lately seems the way things are headed.

Are we talking about a bike to enter an event with a wave start, lots of dust, lots of speed scrubbed off by moving ruts and berms around perhaps a water crossing or a commuter vehicle.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Battery tech will move fast now that there is huge demand and effort in that direction. It's been shown almost anything is possible (especially when money and power is the driver) and we will see new amazing batteries show up soon. that will change everything.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1678102/can-cambridge-crude-sludge-revolutionize-ev-battery-charging

"It involves a full rethinking of how a battery is designed, and could result in a reusable liquid that could be pumped into your battery to charge it in minutes."
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That's the same stuff I pointed to above ... In 3 years they should have a prototype ready for cars ... Plus it scales way out ...
  5. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So I´ll keep my 630 and wait three years ... or longer .... for some form of new technology to take over. Until then, Orange kiddy bikes can do a maximum of two laps of an indoor track and bike companies can exhibit their futuristic concept bikes. But only blokes in woolly hats and with long, straggly hair will be seen puttering around on outlandish electric contraptions hoping to save the world from climate change.
  6. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    They are working on better capacitors and this is the answer I believe.
    Low weight , instant recharge , instant power on demand.
    The way of the future , if they can get them to work , and if the grid can handle the demands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRpMV-Gf0hA&feature=relmfu is worth a watch for those who like instant thrills.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That bike has A123 lettering across the back-end ....Same company as the guys from MIT founded who were in on the lithium-ion battery creation and the ‘Cambridge crude' battery that will be here in 3 yrs or so ...