1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st About the Mikuni/Keihin swap:

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Johnnymannen, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    I did a similar analysis with several potential used PWK's on the market. All of them would require a jet kit and slide. The slides alone run about $60 and JD jet kit about $80. Add that to a $100 used carb and you are at the same price of the new PWK with jet kit installed. :cheers: Also, on used PWK carbs, you run the risk of woren parts like float valve and needle nozzle. Therefore, I decided to buy new one from Kelly. :thumbsup:
  2. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

My dollars have been magically transformed to little Paypal electrons and are floating down the interweb tubes as we speak!:)
  3. STmatt Husqvarna
    B Class

Anyone know where I can find an extended fuel screw for my 04 TE450 Mikuni? I sent JD Jetting an e-mail to see if they had any suggestions.
    Thanks
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yeah, I did the same analysis. I already have a PWK with very few miles on it, though, so the equation came out differently for me :) I probably already have 4 of every jet ever made for Keihin, too:lol: All I needed was the needles. JD sells slides for $52.95 which is a pretty good price, but I didn't need one of those. All in all, a pretty good deal for me, personally. I'll know just how good of a deal after next weekend's ride:thumbsup:

:lol:

WoodsChick
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You did and i thank you (and Tammy :D) I think you will love it. :thumbsup:
  6. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

You have PM!
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    so do you :D

Thanks.
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I hope youve got plenty - ll be getting one too Kelly in a couple of weeks ( after ive paid for all new riding gear ) with some other stuff too
  9. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

And now a PWK is on the way to the land of the Vikings! It will be very intresting to evaluate this and compare it to the Mikuni!

Thanks so far Kelly!

Johnny
  10. Philbilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

2009 WR125 Keihin throttle slack issues

Just bought the 38mm from Motosportz and it seems to be running great but I will be trail testing it this week. Because it is longer, you really have to squeeze it in between the boots and make sure it is seated good as it does not fit in there as well as the original Mikuni. Is there a cable or fix that will take up the abundance of throttle slack? I like almost none so it must be dealt with somehow! I am looking forward to "not having to tweak and jet very often now."
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Did you re-use the curved cable holder off the top of the stock Mikuni? The short straight holder on the pwk makes the cable too long.

Walt
  12. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Does your PWK have the twist-off carb top? If so, how do you remove the straight cable holder? It just spins in the carb top and doesn't appear to be removable.
  13. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    I have the 38 PWK on my 300 now and I swapped the straight cable holder/ferrule thing for the curved one with no problem. It just screwed into the screw top, right? I am using the stock cable and it pulls the slide all the way up.

[IMG]
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Not mine. It just spins freely.
    I bought my carb from Service Honda and was the OEM carb for a 2000 CR250. The JD/MZ units must be different.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You can swap the cable guide no problem. I left the straight one on mine and do have a little play. i do not notice it when i ride.
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The curved cable holder does make it slightly harder to spin the top off. I just allow enough threads so that you can spin the top off once you loosen the lock nut and then it re-tightens when you put it back on.

PC, They must have changed the top on the service Honda pwk. You can just find a parted out top on fleabay if you are patient and get the "good" top for very little.

Walt
  17. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

PC - I would just get a Honda cable and be done with it.
  18. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks for the advice about the Honda top boys! I already knew it wasn't coming off, but at least someone else verifies my story checks out :applause:

Mark,
    I'll have to do that. Which sucks cause this was a new cable.

You ready for a ride bud?
  19. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are you certain that it is not a Honda cable made for a TMX? Honda ran that carb also.

I have used a 99 CR250 cable on two Huskys with a PWK and they both were perfect. Or maybe some of the PWKs have different tops?
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Oddly enough, the Motion Pro GG cable I used is for a Honda ATC, but it fits the GasGas perfectly...we just order them by the part #.

I just got another box of spares today that I ordered when I ordered my bike. In it is a spare throttle cable. I think I'll just take the little curved thingy off the top of the TMX and use it on the PWK like others have suggested. Eric gets his spare cable back, I use my original one, and I have a spare now, too. Everybody wins :)

WoodsChick