1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st About the Mikuni/Keihin swap:

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Johnnymannen, Mar 27, 2010.

1. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I went to my local Hon/Yam/Suz/Kaw dealer and asked about ordering a N427-48CEK needle and the guy looked at me like I was nuts. He said that Keihin part number means nothing to him.

Where are you guys buying needles from? Or does anyone know what part number this would translate to in HonYamSuzKaw world!?!?
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

We get all our carb stuff from Sudco. Their website is not fun to use but they are very helpful when you call them directly at 323-728-5407

http://www.sudco.com/

WoodsChick
  3. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thank you WoodsChica'! :cheers:
    I'll call them if I have to, but I'm trying to avoid paying shipping.

I'm the type of person who'll spend $20 in gas trying to find a part that I could have had shipped to my door for $8. Its all about the thrill of the hunt!
  4. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

PC - RB Designes stocks many needles.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I get my Keihin parts from Pat's small engine parts. Fast and cheap. Just google psep.

Walt
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

PC,

I just looked and I have two. I will drop one in the mail to you if you pm me your address.

Walt
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    For real??

I'll gladly compensate you for it. Thanks!

Pm sent
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Walts a giver :thumbsup: Actually have a Walt piston in my 125 right now :cheers:
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly,

I really am going to send this oem Husky piston kit to you. I am just so swamped at work that I have a severe case of CRS. I will drop it in the mail to you tomorrow too.

Walt
  10. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

BINGO :cool:, my bike is now PERFECT...
    I dont think my jetting can be better.
    I have put a POWERNOW PLUS on it today and i cant believe it !!!
    This small piece of metal @ $100 (it would cost $5 for product it) worth every $$$. Before, my bike have a slow response in trottle and it feel not strong enough at low rpm. Also the transition between low and midrange are really to brutal. Now my bike have instant trottle response and the low end is really strong. The transition from low to mid are really better and the top end is incredible... After 3 weeks of messing with many different jetting my bike is now PERFECT. Very crisp, instant trottle response and very very powerfull.
    This bike is now incredible, it can be ridden like a big 4 strokes on the low rpm or pull like a freight train in the middle or scream like a 125 in the top end if you have the arm and nuts...

Thank you all for your help

My final jetting are:
    WR300 2010
    Keihin PWK AS 38MM
    Main jet 178
    Needle CEL in 2nd clip from top.
    Pilot Jet 42
    Slide #7
    Air screw 1 1/2
  11. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Intresting! Maybe i should try the CEK and CEL needles too! Which one is the leanest from the bottom? Maybe they would work betterfor my Motardriding than the JD ones.
  12. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    I just installed my PWK from Kelly and it was pretty straight forward. It is a tight fit. I unbolted the air filter and wrestled it in. I don't think that I am hurting anything. I used the curved tube off of the OEM carb for the throttle cable and with a little adjustment it seems fine. Started first kick and after I adjusted the air screw and idle it seems pretty sweet. I've only putted around the yard so far but I can tell that it is much better behaved at lower speeds. I'm eager to see how it is at WFO but that will have to wait until I can take it to a proper place to ride. I'm delighted so far. Thanx Kelly!
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No, thank you. :cheers:
  14. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I remember back when people were putting reed spacers on their 125s and there was a problem with the air boot rubbing the shock spring. So with the 09 and up 125, since the PWK is longer then the Mikuni used on those models, is this an issue? I have not seen the 125 with the new frame up close so I was just curious if the air boot is still so close.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

NWRider,

There seems to be more room and even though you are compressing the boot a little, it still has quite a bit of room between it and the spring.

One thing I did do is find a PWK airstriker 38 mm s ag model. It is off an 05 KTM 250 SX and it is the same dimensions as the TMXX. It is a pwk airstriker 38 and everything as far as jets, slides, etc is the same. It carborates exactly the same and I can detect no differences between the JD kitted PWK from Kelly and the ag model with the jets swapped. There is one main advantage and one main disadvantage. The ag has a bolt on top and is made to accomodate power jet configurations and is less owner friendly as far as needle changes. The positive is it fits in there the same as the stock mikuni, they are the same dimension. In my opinion it is a push and certainly not worth any extra money. If I hadn't found a screaming deal for one I wouldn't have bought it. It is also the standard carb on the 09 and later KTM 150 sx. Several other bikes have used this carb but as a power jet model and as such it is not an acceptable conversion.

I still think the JD kitted PWK from Kelly is the best deal out there simply because you can't get all the combined benefits of JD needles and pwk airstriker for that price anywhere else. I did think that the triple taper KTM needle did a little better job than the stock Keihin needles (DGK, etc) but not quite as smooth a power delivery as the JD Blue needle. I still find it interesting that the CEK/CEL Keihin needles was better than the JD needles in my WR 250 but in the 125/144 where small differences are magnified the JD Blue needle is superior. :excuseme:

If anyone does want to try the KTM PWK then make sure it has the designation- PWK38-S AG, It it has a screw top it isn't the right one. Remember though unless you are getting a screaming deal it isn't worth the expense. KTM wants $280 if you have all the discounts and most of these I have seen sold on fleabay are going in the $160+ range used. Also a number of KTM's used a similar model but it was a 36mm and you want to make sure that is what you want.

All this is just an FYI for anyone interested in a better carb that is the same dimension as the TMXX, but by the time you add the JD needles for the tiddler set it isn't worth it.

Walt
  16. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello HRC! i would like to order the CEL needle, but i need to know in which bike i can find that needle. Make, modelyear etc. Do you know?

Regards Johnny
  17. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hi Johnnymannen, i dont know the application of this needle.
    My friends is a Keihin distributor for the Quebec and have acces to all possible needle. The CEL needle is very very similar to a needle for a YZ250 1999. I think any aftermarket supplier of Keihin parts can have one.
    If you can't find the CEL, i can send you one. I have now over 20 differents needles for the PWK so i can send you a CEL + one richer and one leaner if you want to try some tuning.

I dont know how long it will take to arrive in Sweden, but i can put it in the mail tomorrow.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That's the spirit :thumbsup:
  19. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow! Talk about good guys here at the forum:notworthy:! That would be great if you could help me with that! I´ve searched for several hours today(lucky i am my own boss at work!) but couldn´t find those needles. I send a PM!

Regards Johnny.
  20. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

interesting. I actually have the 38mm pwk carb off my 2004 250sx sitting in a box (sold the frame/airbox and a few other odd bits, kept the engine/suspension and stuff). Wonder if I should try that before i consider ordering one from kelly. Mine was bounced around for 8000 miles, so id rather have a new one, but it's free to try and if it works the same, it won't cost me anything to see if i like it.

anyone have the jetting specs that the jd-carb is set up with, or the specs they are using in the northwest? I even have a jd blue needle as well as some various others (ddk, cek, etc...)