Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Supermoto range maybe ??
  2. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would say it will be a DS bike. With riding areas being so few and far between its no wonder that the adventure type bikes are so popular. I have been told that it's the fastest growing segment of the market.

I can believe how many KLR's they sell. I raced a KLR 685 with my TE630 once , for a few seconds anyway:D . Too bad the 630 did not continue.
  3. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

i guess it's a 690.

r
  4. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Unlikely a 2T DI. That technology was not "taken" with the buyout. You may see that R&D on another Italian brand in the future.
  5. AlrightMister Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    I'm thinking it will be a SM since a Euro bike show seems like an odd place for them to display a DS. I don't think they sell them there since you can get a plate on anything in most countries. Although I am waiting with baited breath for a DS announcement the waiting has to end soon for me and if there isn't a 501 DS announced soon I will probably order a Beta.
    4eyes likes this.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    would be awesome if cagiva was resurrected and they just fired the factory back up...
  7. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

Peirer specifically mentioned Huskies 2t tech as being a part of why they acquired Husqvarna, in the interviews given to Alan Cathcart.

Where did you see this info? I'd like to find the truth of this matter.

I'd find it rather strange that he mentioned that as a key point in the aquisition, and not then make use of it. KTMs own DFI patents, show a rather complicated version or Orbitals 'in head' DFI - not something I think is the best set up for a light dirt bike - though, certainly viable for a more road oriented 2t Engine.

Maybe they've sold it on to someone else, or, having had a good look at the designs under due diligence, 'passed' on the design, and then gone back to the drawing boards on another system for the KTMs / KTvarnas Off Roaders?

Still, the Peirer interview, noting the Husky DFI Tech, seemed show they 'had' the Husky 2t Tech.

Well, EICMA is on soon, perhaps we'll see more on this - especially if some manufacturer other than KTM / KTvarna has the rights to the design(s). The market is ready for such a thing, and a company getting something (that works well) out before the 2017 / 18? Euro Emissions regs that will require 'new tech', could make quite a killing. I'd love to see KTM gazumped. It would take a confident company - as in, the system they had, could be made to meet the coming emissions requirements, either 'as is' or with minimal mods.
  8. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

It certainly would.

Giovanni Castiglioni has shown he is more than just an 'inheritance boi', being very competent in business, and pushing MV on, with significant growth - if still tiny in the grand scheme of things. 2,000 MVs made in 2009, up to 8,000 orders (for current models) earlier this year. He certainly has shown interest in the facility, and expressed disapointment on the 'closed sale' of Husky to KTM.

It might be a too large a step for him to bring back Cagiva at this time, but, he / they may have quite a deal of money , somewhere, left over from their superlative manipulation of HD with the re-aquisition of MV, a few years ago. The Castiglioni's certainly knew / know how to do a 'deal'.
  9. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dono. Who owns the DI technology?
  10. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Welp at least we know its water cooled haha
    LandofMotards likes this.
  11. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

By your post that I previously quoted, I gathered that you knew - re " That technology was not "taken" with the buyout. You may see that R&D on another Italian brand in the future ".
  12. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kinda bored with the whole new restyled KTM which was Husaberg now called Husqvarna ..... 'thing'
    I'll get interested again if Husky becomes ..... its own 'thing' again
    4eyes, organ donor and Coffee like this.
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You might just be bored with all the WAGs and speculations and what-ifs ... I'd suggest riding more and reading less ...
    107_0006.JPG
  14. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

I know this is a bit of a stretch -- but look at the spy photo posted about EICMA. Even though we will know in a few days here are two things I think are REALLY interesting....

1. Look at the very bottom of the photo and track the border over about 3/4... see an aluminum fitting right under the black tank but behind the radiator [looking at the picture its in front of the radiator -- but front to back this aluminim tube thing is behind the radiator]. There is a black hose connected to it. WTF is that for? No hose clamp like a water hose -- weird.

2. Look to the right of the rear left side panel [its out of focus]. There is a rectangular white-ish look back tilted jut right of verticle. Normally I'd say that is the fender tab -- but look at the little green light near the top. That looks suspiciously like an indicator light of some sort?!?!?!?

Maybe I am completely out to lunch, but this is clearly a MX bike [black tank] -- so it would suggest something "cutting edge" to me. I think its going to be something pretty dramatic and a departure from the norm. I also could be totally full of it too. I guess we will know in 4 days.
  15. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    ^ Finally a homologated (sp?) Husqvarna? Ryan Dungey's new SX ride? :popcorn:
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Silly rabbit, it only exists in mockups of pretty colorful magazines to date ... Its gonna suck most likely when it arrives... Look at what a joke FI has been for the 4t machines ... Do you actually think someone will produce this magically device the 1st time, ...the first time correctly? Do you think someone has a perfectly working DI 2t and has it hidden away? There is something about these devices that is keeping anyone from bringing one to market ..

Husky has had models they could race before in the ama, but bikes don't ride them selves and only a feeble effort was made in EU to race the bikes.
  17. PBM457 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350SXF 2004 RM250
    1. I think that might be the fuel feed.

2. I would agree that it's the fender tab with the green light being some sort of reflection off the lens.

The aliens aren't at Area 51 they're really at Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio. Just kidding on that. Looking forward as well to the reveal. :)
  18. MonoShocker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Gran Canyon
    How cool would it be if it was the street-legal, direct-injected, two-stroke-powered dual-sport
    that Husky exec's said they were working on last year, see the article below.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/13/two-stroke-resurrection/

I really hope it's a street legal Dual Sport Adventure version of the 690 but I doubt that it will be, but a street legal 2 stroke would be a big game changer imo.....of course it would be the new colors but I could live with that, make mine a 600 2 stroke twin...we can dream until the 5th.

[IMG]
    john01 likes this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That is exactly the bike BMW could have taken their massive resources and creativity to have dropped on us and kicked the door down. They missed the boat.
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Unfortunately the "vision" wasn't there.