Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    Maybe thats the prototype look into the future next week at EICMA show on Tuesday at 4 in Italy
  2. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

judging from the cylinder and exhaust size, that "300" is actually an 85cc with peak power near 13500 rpm.

r
    justintendo likes this.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    that jug does look pretty sad
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Looking back now ... I just don't think the previous owners actually wanted to sell (or knew how to build) dirt bikes ... A CORP that big can go in many directions at the same time without actually delivering results the average customer is expecting or wanting ... Then, as shown, sell out and move on and will never explain what happened other than a few fancy white-collar words. These guys only answer to stock-holders really in the long run ...

--
    A dirt bike is anti-bmw ... A dirt bike is a small and light and simple as possible ... That's the opposite of bmw ... They can't even mount a front fender without over engineering it. That's what they do ...Works for cars and big street bikes ... But not dirt bikes..

--

The last 2t street bike I remember was a 72(?) yamaha 250, 2 cylinder bike and it was fast! It had a build in steering stabilizer also ... Just a big knob you twisted to lock the steering column really ...

Maybe a streeter version of DI 2t will be easier to write the software for other than a full blown woods racer version ... Then if that code base is some-what respectable, it can be used to base the true off-road bikes on... If you know anything about software coding, no one hardly EVER starts with a blank page and old code is always tweaked and brought forward for the newer codes. If this is true with the codes being developed now for the bikes, its just patch work and sooner or later, that crap code brought forward is gonna get bulky and will get harder and harder to maintain and test...Same as any other code existing in the world today ... BUT, if someone can write a good base code, it can live till the ELEC bikes take over.
  5. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    BMW may not have invested in Husqvarna as everyone would hope but without a doubt they know more about race appilications than even KTM. Without even mentioning their race programs for cars read up on the S1000r and KTM's RC8. If they had cared to they would have devoloped a bike that would put everything else to shame.
    They were innovative for how and it's considered a failure. The bikes admittedly are love/hate but so is everything else like that, reverse engines on yzf's, and PDS on KTM's.

I think if anything they had trouble coming up with a design that was cheap enough. Going all out would have been easy for them but would people want a 15k bike? Another issue is branding. Husky wasn't all that strong before hand and they definately marketed the product. I don't ever remember seeing Husqvarnas in magazines until BMW had them.

I look at KTM's how I look at Harley. They aren't the best for the money but they invested in making it seem like you joined a fraternity. T-shirts, coffee mugs, and a fancy shiny parts catalog. They sell them for quite a bit over the competition because of this, not because they're better. Think of the bikes they have that are considered great, 2strokes? Simply put, it's because they continued to make them. Look at Beta, one year in and they've won quite a few shootout and bike of the year awards. Also, their enduro models, they have no real competition there either. What a crf250x that gets no real updates or a Wrf with an old engine design.

I'm not saying they don't have a good product and I believe that Husky will do better in sales with KTM but I don't believe for a second they are a better company for the job other then their interest in it. This is all KTM does and they cater to smaller markets and have had success. I really wish we could have seen what BMW could have done and I hope someday we will. I also don't believe their 2 stroke DI was worthless. KTM may even use it and we'd never know. There may have been more gain then we were led to believe.
    Muddy Waters, Motosportz and rancher1 like this.
  6. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

"Code", for EFI / DFI, would be harder to make workable / get to the optimum for "streeter versions" than a racer - Woods or otherwise. The bane of 2ts, is steady throttle, and, steady throttle at a lot of different rev points. Racing / competition use, is much more on the side of On / Off. Cripes, even my scooting around in my local tight terrain, on a big capacity 2t, is just that - On /Off.

Think for a while about it - street use, calls for civility / usability in a huge range of revs.

And, as I've said all along, "New Tech" for 2ts, doesn't have to be all Electronic 'Carb'd' based. All that we see, may not be EFI / DFI variations. Though, I have the feeling that Electronic tech, will be the predominant force in any resurgence of 2t usage. It's what ICE powerplants in transport have, for the vast majority, gone to.

The big thing for E Tech 2ts, is that a hell of a lot has (I hope) been learned during the EFI change over in Road Bikes / 4T Off Roaders. There is no excuse for manufacturers making mistakes, ending up with ECUs, wiring / injectors / fuel filtering / fuel pumps etc etc being sub par. Unless they, the manufacturers are idiots. And 'they' couldn't be that, could 'they'.................... ?

Quite a few people just don't get it - most markets, around the world, require bikes to be registerable, to be legally usable, to get real sales - Dual Sporters, basically. It's why you may have seen Huskies / KTMs / Betas / TMs etc with full blinker kits and mirrors in other countries. Cripes, my dinosaur CRE500, was specifically set up as a Learner Legal bike - well, not really, but by the time they were set up to get through ADRs (Australian Design Rules) they were fitted with a muffler with a 16mm outlet, a washer in the header with a 20mm centre Dia., a slide stop, and reed petal replaced with a steel plate, I think it put out power that could be rated as "Sweet FA "..........
    LandofMotards likes this.
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You hit the nail on the head, ktms are good bikes, but the real magic is in the marketing kinda like harley just a different segment. Marketing can make an average to good product seem great. Lack of marketing can make a great product seem poor. Both Harley and ktm get it.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Not in the dirt around the globe...
  9. nonferrous Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    RMZ450
  10. mxr515 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Streetglide,Roadglide,84 Honda CR125
  11. mxr515 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Streetglide,Roadglide,84 Honda CR125
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    that aint no 2 stroke and that aint no knobby.....
    Kevin_TE250, Lonfish, Boogie and 2 others like this.
  13. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So we can expect a fancy cable clamp in the new year? My compliments to Herrn Peirer.
    Kevin_TE250, mxr515 and street2dirt like this.
  14. MonoShocker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Gran Canyon
  15. TropicalSnowman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    a dealership!
    Other Motorcycles:
    GSXR1100 Slabbie and an NSR250 road
    It's a 17 inch Michelin supermotard slick, so it's not going to be a SMRR (limited edition, which would have a 16.5) it's got a single curved radiator like the 690 (from the pics I've seen). It's probably a non street legal motard like the KTM SMR450 which has an SX motor, Peirer did say there would be a BIG motard, might be too heavy though...
  16. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TM Racing EN300 and EN450
  17. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
  18. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    wow, that's just sad. looks like a lost robot with a fat ass. or maybe the robot is sad about it's fat ass?
    454x likes this.
  19. nonferrous Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    RMZ450
    Unbelievable
  20. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    Must be a --Concept Bike --They have --NO Concept -- of making a SM ---:eek: