Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Retail on the KTM, Husaberg and Gas Gas is already about $700-800 more than your target. What a dealer will sell it for.... another question.
  2. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Freeride350 is a play bike and not much more power than a CRF230F (24hp - 18hp). They just don't compare pricewise... Free350 = 10K and CRF230 = 5-6K (in Aus)

The 230's are manufacturered in Brazil so a HusKTMberg trail bike from India could be competitively priced. The question is.... would it be accepted well in the market against the Honda's and Yamaha's that have a reputation for reliability?

I tell you what... a new air-cooled 250cc 4 stroke retro Husky based on a Bajaj Pulsar could be a hit!

Make this....
    [IMG]

From this...

[IMG]

Stefan... When you take up my idea. Give me a retro Husky to beat on for a year and I will happily write a review. Thanks
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

NO PLEASE keep theclose ratio at least in the 2 stroke race bikes as for the rest I do not care
    panhandlebars likes this.
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    April 2nd at the earliest, as April 1st is Easter Monday Holiday in Europe, UK and Commonwealth.
  5. Howard V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    sv650 klr250
    A Romanian translation from a blog at pro-bike.ro

• [IMG]
    • Members
    • 441 posts
      • Time Online: 2z 1o 39m 7s
    • Motorcycles: Triumph
    • Model: Trident 900
    Posted Yesterday, 12:38 AM

[IMG]
    An email sent by the logistics department of Husqvarna denied rumors that the manufacturer would have to give up the models developed under the BMW and the Bavarian engines use. Mail was sent to all dealers, but not for publication and presented us with reservations.
    The message sent to dealers, Husqvarna leadership wanted to refute rumors models offer street will be removed. It specifies that the range will be maintained in both two models TR650 (Street and Terra) and two versions of Nuda 900.
    The news comes shortly after several publications gave the two mdele safe abandonment by the new owners. Articles were the basis of a statement by the chief himself KTM, Husqvarna's new owner, who said that under BMW Husqvarna moved away from tradition, making direct reference to Naked and TR650, street models without competition orientation.
    Have discovered that the head of the KTM recipe that Bavarians have implemented a Husqvarna something better than that which they have applied it to SuperDuke?
    Nuda 900 and TR650 have accumulated 3,257 units in 2012, more than a third of sales Husqvarna.
    Excplicatia might be hidden between the lines. More specifically, it is unknown who is involved in this venture KTM's Stefan Pierer. Option as they do not involve Bajaj KTM and Husqvarna's shareholders as partners but is unlikely but not entirely impossible.
    The future is still uncertain, but at least now we can breathe a sigh of relief, and Nuda Husqvarna TR650 remain in range.
    Read test that I did in the fall of Terra TR650
  6. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Of course they're denying rumors that the 650s and Nuda are going EOL. They want to sell the remaining stock.

Those models are toast. They require special BMW diagnostic tools for service. They use engines that are in current BMW models. Say goodbye, they're gone.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    As of Monday, they aren't manufacturing any of their models, street or dirt.
  8. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I asked a buddy of mine at KTM what models will survive. He is answer was "none". Moving forward all new Huskys will be KTM powered motorcycles.

They dont want to say that the NUDA and TRs will be gone as there are tons of them of dealers floors today. Publicly admit they are gone and those bikes will be orphans sitting on dealership floors for years to come.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Lots of wild speculation going on here. Quite the soap opera.
    4eyes, 310huskyTE, Lonfish and 4 others like this.
  10. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

For me -- I enjoy the predictions, etc.. It occupies my mind. While I am hopeful that there will be some real differences, I just don't know if that will come to pass. I don't see how you can have enough differentiation with different colors and a plastic subframe.

I am hopeful there will be some actual differences down the road. I am afraid that for the next year or three -- we will only see Red Ktms because of the delay in development cycle. I would like to buy a "unique" Husky, not a rebadged one. Even if they are going to make a uniqeu bike, I don't think we will see it for some time -- it just takes awhile to get one off the production line.
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Depends entirely what they say the support structure is.

If they move forward with clear intentions on how the MOSS tool will be supported, and that parts will be available for the 10 year span they are supposed to be available for - then I would expect at least the TR650s should sell out - it's a really nice bike at an excellent price.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

agree. I know a few people scrambling to grab one of the TR650's in fear they might be gone. And dealers that already have the MOSS tool like Bills is should continue to work just like it does on all the BMW's you can service with it.
  13. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Pretty much my thoughts also. I am hopeful we will see unique Husky's in a few years. Sharing some components with KTM's, like valves, valve springs, clutches, WP suspension stuff like that, but not entire engines or frames. SP has said that he intends for KTM to take on the head of the dragon i.e. Honda and for Husky to take on the other 3 Japanese brands. I also just don't see that being a reality with 2 brands that are almost identical. The shared engine and frame with different body approach may work with the car crowd, but motorcycle riders are different. We are all very intimately connected with our bikes, whatever brand they may be. Motorcycle riders have an emotional connection with their motorcycles. We want to see the engine, see a unique "cool" frame and top it off with sleek body work. If you want to attract 2 different groups to your products, KTM and Husky, then you need to offer 2 different products, not just the same product in 2 different colors.
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Im pretty sure that annual subscription contracts tied to certain models will be part of that deal. I own an unusual Mercedes model and independent shops cant scan it because they dont want to pay the fee to add it to their scanner database when they have so few potential customers. The MOSS is configured with a live connection so it can be cut off at any time.
  15. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK - how about an off-the-wall question? KTM, Husa, and Husky are arguably the 3 next largest dirt bike brands after the Japanese .... none of the Euro bikes use Aluminium frames as all the Japanese do. If SP decides to take on the Japanese might KTM move to an Aluminum frame and leave the Steel to HusaHusky?
    (Apologies to Beta doing a fine job with a steel frame and to TM making a showing with aluminum,)
  16. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I thought this also. To take on Honda, KTM need to become more like Honda... With an ally frame maybe.
  17. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have actually thought of that too. Not sure that is the direction they will go -- although I am hoping something significant like that will be the direction. Although I am afraid in the short term we will see Red KTMs [could be Blue and Yellow like the Swedish Flag too -- who knows?], in the long run I see something a bit different if it makes sense to be different -- I just think we will see something a bit more from Husky than we saw from Husaberg. Call it a hunch. I am not sure that I would expect totally different engines and frames -- Its hard to do that and capitalize on the "market efficiencies" that SP talkes about. But I can see maybe different frames and common engines. Or different engines in similar frames. Don't forget about the 70 degree berg. KTM wasn't afraid to roll that one out. They have the resources to do it if it makes sense. The 70 just didn't sell.

The rub I have in my mind is trying to figure out what "makes sense?" I think it "makes sense" to produce components that are KTM in origin [particularly considering Italian manufacturing is being shut down]. Everything then comes from a common supply stream. I think it "makes sense" that KTM will stop producing Italian stuff going forward - it lets them divert resources into whatever "Husky" will be. After that -- what Husky will be -- I am not sure what "makes sense."

Take 4 stroke engines for instance. There are lots of ways to skin that cat. SOHC, DOHC, Fuel injection, Carb, RFS, Bucket shims, etc.. I don't know squat about them but I do know they are MANY different designs there. Maybe it makes sense to have some variation between KTM and Husky here. 2-strokes -- How much variation can there be. The new Beta I think is a good example. 2-stroke evolution is about where it will always be [excepting DI from the equation]. So most 2-stroke motors look the same. I'm not sure it "makes sense" to have different engines that are close but technically different. But I do think there could be some room here too. Electronic power valves come to mind. Different frames with slightly different geometry for a different focus might make sense too. I just don't know. I also think you will see different displacements among the brands too. What "makes sense" to me will obviously be different than what "makes sense" to SP.

Bottom line -- KTM has the $$$ to do it however they want. Look at the RC8 and the four wheelers and that weird car thing they have. The could have seperate lines if they thought it "made sense." In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Husky ends up being what folks though Husaberg would be -- a slightly premium brand with some radical stuff. Latest and greatest on Husky first.

Finally, and I haven't heard it mentioned much, but.... KTM jumped in to Husaberg to jump start 4-strokes right? There are lots of rumors about a DI 2-stroke from Husky right? Maybe, just maybe, KTM is buying that technology -- just like they did with Husaberg??? Think about it... lots of rumors of the Husky bike -- but nobody has seen it. Similar with KTM. 2-strokes are making a limited resurgence. For KTM -- I think it makes sense to be the LEADER in 2-strokes too. If Husky has something slick, you can bet KTM would like to marry that with there own development. SP has already has been quoted as saying that he has placed some Husky designs into the KTM engineering pipeline to speed up the evolution [not sure of the quote, but I know I read it]. This "makes sense" to me. Might not see it in 2014, but maybe you'll see it soon.

Imagine this -- brand new model wearing Husky colors that is a DI 2-stroke that actually works. Bike is born and bred in Austria using combined engineering from Husky and KTM that delivers on this promise. So a "new" bike that is neither old Husky or new KTM but both. I bet I see some of you in the dealership with $$$ right next to me :banana:
    4eyes and panhandlebars like this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    DFI 2 strokes from BMW was always "never going to happen" Or "its done" never could nail anyone down on that. BUT given BMWs EFI experiences, love of the complicated and over-designed it very well could be they were on the cutting edge of this effort too. Interesting point. Could be.
  19. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Wont mention any names but reliable dealer told me DI two strokes were coming and Keihin was company that was supplying it.

So? Maybe why they bought it?

They did cut off the 250 and 300?

I do know that two strokes are in the works from a reliable source.

I think we are good, just don't realize it yet.
    boisedave likes this.
  20. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    It was always my feeling that 2-strokes could not survive in the BMW culture as BMW tries to appeal to car consumers with 'greener' technology and Germany is a country that participates in many environmental initiatives.

To get away with it they would have had to let Husqvarna stand alone and apart, and ideally be run from someplace outside the EU. Another subject I only have passing knowledge on is that Italy and Germany has a lot of unresolved economic issues caused by the way the Euro is implemented. This alone could have driven the sale and may have something to do with how Husqvarna is organized going forward. Sweden is one of the larger European countries that does not use the Euro.....and of course India is completely removed from that system. You cant ignore the branding issues that encourage premium companies to deliver products with at least European engineering...but VW gets away with selling cars to the US made in Mexico and the US. It easy enough to build almost the whole bike from components in Asia, assembled in say Ireland and delivered from Sweden to AU/Canada/US/Spain.....