Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. scotty Husqvarna
    A Class

There is over £1000 off a Strada, I've seen anew one for £4500.
    I think there is £500 off a Terra which makes them about £4800
    If you want one better act quickly, I'm hearing there are about
    50 left in the factory in Italy.

Scotty
  2. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Before we become too despondent.....there was a 450 (and maybe a 250) MX bike on the verge of being released by BMW/Husky. What happens to that bike could tell us some things about the near future. If we dont see it by the end of summer than any technology associated with it has likely been 'repurposed', and points us towards a less independent Husqvarna. Since it wasnt due out till later this year then it cant tell us much yet though.
  3. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

I agree, but who is left to build it ?
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    KTM builds more off road motors than anyone, should not be an issue. Rumor is the X-light 450 version will make it through. Time will tell.
  5. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

Can't see KTM building a Husky motor in Austria, but I hope you are right and I'm wrong !!!

I see we have about 25% discounts now in the UK too. So thats just took 25% Value off my bike when I want to change it !
    The secondhand prices will have to follow new, not good news for me if I want a 2014 model (If there is one !) at the end of the year.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well as they closed the factory it looks like they will all be built that way. If we see a husky specific motor or not is the question I guess.
  7. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    That's all great stuff if the company is turning a profit, fact is BMW subsidized everyone's purchase of these great bikes since they took over by posting losses upwards of $150 million. Not sure what SP paid for Husky, but he didn't buy it to do the same old thing in the same old facilities losing the same amount of money. So unless this group of potential buyers is willing to pay substantially more for each and every motorcycle, they have no choice but to make major changes, and if hey have to churn the customer base to achieve that, they will IMHO.
    4eyes likes this.
  8. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry, thats what I ment ! Maybe should have posted "Can't see KTM using a Husky specific Motor " ! Hope I'm wrong thou !
  9. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    A full 3/4 of Husqvarna's World Championships were won by Italian Huskys, not Swedish ones.....
    Norman Foley, Today at 8:26 AMHouse Keeping

17 AMA National Enduro Championships
    10 Baja 1000 Race Wins
    3 AMA Hare and Hound Series Championship
    3 AMA Grand Nation Cross County Series Championships
    11 Baja 500 Race Wins
    1-AMA 500 Motocross Championship

All on Swedish made Husqvarna motorcycles. Sure makes you wonder what may of happened if the fine Italian owners of Husqvarna gave a crap about the USA. I will give Eraldo Ferracci some credit he did give it a go in Supercross. But it sure is hard when you don't have much "factory" help. The Italian's where always worried about every where but the USA. Sure was not that way when the Sweds made the calls. You have to give B.M.W some credit for trying to get the U.S.A ball rolling. I sure hope Mr. Burleson can and please get some more Husqvarna dealers in the mid-west.
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    No one is trying to take that away from the Husky in the US, but not a single accomplishment you list is a World Championship. At the same time if you look at results in European and World Championship events in the 70's and 80's, Husky didn't have near the success they had in the US. The success they had in the US is a tribute to what Husky US built up, more than Husqvarna Sweden. A lot of racing goes on that isn't in the US.
  11. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Your point is well taken, very interesting discussion, but I can't help but wish there would have been more US interest from Italian Husky.
    454x, mnb and photoguy_43420 like this.
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    One interesting little note..... During all the years of Husky Domination in the US, they never won a championship in the NETRA Enduro Series in New England. Kemp Stewart won Husky's only NETRA Championship in 1993. Also Fred Hoess finished second in the National Enduro Championship twice in the early 2000's. Fred won a National Enduro and National Hare Scrambles in one weeks time.
  13. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    Norm not sure when you started to ride Huskys but when I did they where made in Swedan we had dealers all over in Ohio. Dick Burlson use to work at the dealership in the town I live in. We now have just two in the state of Ohio all 2 hours from me. It was not uncommon at all to see another Husqvarna. It was sure hard for me and my fellow Husqvarna riders see what poor runing of U.S.A that the Italians did. That was what I'm saying. If you rode at that time you have to agree with that. I do like the Italian product just Hated to see no USA support. That why I'm excited to see what KTM will do that have great support in the USA. If you would like I could list all the world championship that Rolf Tibbin, Bill Nilsson, Torsten Hallman, Begent Aberg, Hekki Mikkola, and so on won but that is not the point. I live in the USA and so do you that is why I like seeing Andrew Delong and Corey Graffunder race Husqvarna. I know some of you like to have Husqvarna as a really rare bike. Not me there will allways be more of Honda and so on just would be nice to see more Husqvarna motorcycles.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've been riding Huskys for a long time, I rememberer when Husky was.... What KTM is now. I still ride my '82 250WR and my '87 430WR is still in the basement in pieces, because the parts I needed weren't available. I've been through the whole wild ride and looking forward to the future. Cagiva built some fine bikes and won a lot of Championships for Husky. The problem was they just could never pull it all together in the US.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It really depends on what KTM produces under the Husqvarna banner. If it isn't a true stand alone bike, I feel they will fail to attract any increase in sales. I will leave and many of the current Husky riders will buy something else or just buy a KTM. Any new market in the US will just be offset by the loss of the current clientele. I won't buy a KTM 125/150 motored bike, just that simple. I might buy a 250/300 KTM motored bike if the rest of the bike is better than the current KTM variant. But once again that goes to stand alone marque. Nothing....Nothing that SP has said points to an actual stand alone Husqvarna. It is all about shared components and base structure. So you can hope just as I do but be ready to be disappointed. Thank God there are alternatives if Husqvarna becomes McKtm.
  16. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmmm ... I would like to think that this forum has some influence with the future of the Husqvarna Marque. I realize that it is a big world and the US is not the only game in town ... but ... how can the new owners 'pull it all together' and gain market share in the US?

Products are part of the equation ... 125/144 and 250/300 2 strokes - current engines are fine but in the latest chassis. 250/310/450 xlite 4 strokes in the new chassis. 650 dual sport is fine as is.

Dealers are another part ... it sounds like they will use the KTM network for parts and distrubution which makes sense. Some of the grass-roots dealers (Uptite) didn't fit the BMW mold but are valuable and I hope welcome in the KTM mold (although I suspect not).

Race (and racer) support ... Jenna is awesome to deal with and the contingency is one reason I went Husky. I hope that the new owners continue grass roots support and suggest that they support outfits like F.A.R. and Zipty offroad and sponsor offroad series ... and find a partner like JGR for MX.
  17. Sparrowhawk Husqvarna
    AA Class

In hindsight a lack of focus outside of Europe may have contributed greatly to the failure of the Italians' strategy. As SP notes, sales in the US are rising, Canada & Australia rising significantly, emerging markets have big potential, while Europe is still losing 12% and Southern Europe is down 25%. I am no marketing genius but it seems they stayed with the familiar and missed the opportunity to catch a ride on a rising tide.
  18. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450, 2005 TC450, 2013 TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    It seems a shame that BMW did not stay the course. It looks like they had laid the groundwork for the future to build a great company and were just starting to get traction when they choked and bailed. Perhaps they could have tightened the belt and reign in the costs a bit to ride out the GFC storm, but they should have stuck with it after spending so much cash. They kind of did the same thing with the G450X. They spent so much time and money developing a radical new concept. Then after much effort and when they were finally getting somewhere with the bike in terms of handling and performance and race results with Juha - they killed it. The BMW board room must be an interesting place to be a fly on the wall. Its a shame because KTM will knife the baby - there is no way SP will want Husky to become the superior marque over KTM, it is not in their interests to do so.
    rasputin and TRIPLE-M like this.
  19. panhandlebars Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm200sold!klx125&drz 70 kids
    SP is a profiteer .....if husky was developed into the premier euro bike he wouldn't care if it outsold Ktm,all profit from here on out,its the standard business model...go buy more euro bike companies out...till he owns all the competitors .BMW didn't have enough dirt in the blood to commit...guess we will find out if they use the concepts that have allegedly been building...as all the other bike manufactures (Japan) pull out of off road racing,scale down product lines for the financial crisis, Euro builds the bikes we all want race ready 2st ...gasgas,Sherco,beta,Tm,Husky Ktm...are all building the bikes that actually get sales.....that's what it's all about sales..
  20. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    That's the way I felt about the company. While I thought it was nice that they were developing new "streetish" models, it seems as though they were leaving the smaller four strokes and the two strokes behind and drifting away from the dirt heritage.
    4eyes likes this.