Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ...Fact>when all production in Italy is done wich could be 9-14 months pretty much most all bikes will be built in KTM factory in Austria for sure.And that means like KTMs prices will be higher than now.

...if this is the case...I don't know about anyone else but I sure in hell ain't buying any of these bikes considering that the workers "knowingly" will not have a job after this run ...I know Italians are very proud of their workmanship but they are human,and I have recently seen what happens to "disgruntled' employees...
  2. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    I would think they have thought of this and quality control measures will be taken already.
    Motosportz likes this.
  3. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ..I really need to stay away from this...something from CycleNews...AND despite what they say at the end,MY HUSQVARNA'S NEVER LET ME DOWN AND I ALWAYS ENJOYED EACH AND EVERYONE ..and I don't care if they sold only 5000 or 50,000 a year...
    HUSQVARNA HEADED TO AUSTRIANew KTM ownership forces departure from Italy.

May 2, 2013 By Bruno dePrato Leave a Comment
    Share on facebook

Share on twitter

Share on email

Share on print

Share on gmail

Share on stumbleupon

Share on favorites

More Sharing Services

[IMG]
    Italy’s motorcycle industry is experiencing stormy times. First, Ducati CEO Gabriele Del Torchio left Borgo Panigale to rescue Alitalia airlines. Now, KTM-owned Husqvarna is packing its bags and moving to Austria.
    Former Husqvarna PR man Martino Bianchi confirmed that the factory near Varese will be shut down this month and production transferred to one of the KTM factories in Austria. This is a below-the-waistline blow to the economy of the region. Local politicians have not stepped in to prevent the move that KTM’s parent company, Pierer Industrie AG, promised would never happen.
    Despite its storied past, Husqvarna never lived a particularly productive life after moving from Sweden to Italy following its acquisition in 1987 by the Castiglioni brothers-owned Cagiva Group. Things really went down the drain after BMW acquired Husqvarna six years ago. In fact, during the past three years, Husqvarna accumulated losses of 200 million euros.
  4. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    As I said the saga continues ;this news post was the reason I called Mr. Husqvarna.
  5. southy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki RMX250
    Just a photoshop mock up of what I clearly a current Berg but I like the look better than KTM orange. The red wheels rock.

[IMG]
    shawbagga, boisedave and MOTORHEAD like this.
  6. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Riding a Husqvarna...the most fun you will ever have with your cloths on! (That is how my 510 makes me feel in the dirt anyways :D )
    bigjon and Blazes like this.
  7. HuskyFede Husqvarna
    A Class

"All these thing have to take place to make Husqvarna not only the great bike it has always been but a motorcycle with value and a profitable brand to build ,yet still unique to us that like that." Wow. I mean, at this point I'm super happy that the uncertain future of those 212 people who will be fired for NO reason, including my future and my fiance's (BTW we are getting married this month, what a LOVELY wedding gift) will contribute to this amazing Husqvarna new life or whatever. I'm so happy right now it hurts. Mr Husqvarna, I'm also happy for you. You clearly won the golden ticket to Mr Pierer's chocolate factory. Take care and send us some postcards from Mattighofen.
    huskyduck likes this.
  8. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    And now we all can take a breather and do what we should be doing --

stop.jpg
    Coffee likes this.
  9. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Honestly part of the reason i love husky is they are cheaper than everyone else yet they are just as good if not better than ktms. If they do in fact become ktm prices my next bike will be something else
    WoodsChick likes this.
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Here lies the dilemma.... These lower prices we've enjoyed, especially in the US.... have led to the financial weakness that put Husky in the position it is now. Tough situation.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  11. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry but I don't think that is true.
    Greed and mismanagement put companies in financial weakness.
  12. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

a european dirtbike has about $4000 parts cost.
    now add the cost for assembly (factory, salaries), cost for storage and shipping, cost for running a dealer and spare parts network, cost for r&d.
    now add the money that the importers and dealers need to earn...
    now add racing activities.

and now look at current bikes prices.

r
    4eyes, Motosportz and Norman Foley like this.
  13. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    So sad to hear about the factory shut down. I'm surprised the Italian politicians haven't jumped on that seeing as the Euro crisis is hitting Italy hard. Doesn't seem to make sense to my small brain; Factory already set up, lower cost labor rates, closer proximity to ocean ports for parts supply...
    huskyduck likes this.
  14. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Well, maybe someone will buy the Husky factory in Italy and start a new brand.

But, it seems Husqvarna and Husaberg will become one. Fitting, I guess, since they where born in the same place.
    4eyes and Blazes like this.
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    That would be what it seems.

I just don't understand why someone would buy a company just for a name. It appears all he wants is the Husqvarna name. He's throwing everything else out the door. The factory, the bikes, the employees, all being dumped just for the name.

Why doesn't he just take the name and sell the rest back to Cagiva real cheap.
    silverpilen likes this.
  16. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ...guess they can count on loosing 2 customers..my son and I ..I have had many great years 38+ and now I have owned 21 Husky's(includes my sons little 50's)...I have enough Husky's in my garage now that I won't need to buy any for awhile..of course,if Husky would stay the way they are w/out ktm parts thrown on it,I could be persuaded to buy something new down the road...ain't holding my breath,tho and I am sure is hell gonna enjoy "every" minute of the Husky's I have now:thumbsup: !
    huskyduck, BILLF and silverpilen like this.
  17. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Remeber, the existing Husky models, factory, and employees resulted in losses to BMW upwards of $200 million euro ($260 million USD). The only thing worth anything was the name!
    510 SM SC likes this.
  18. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Put another way, SP would have to pay someone to take over the Husky business without the Husky name.
  19. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yesterday I posted a thread on this forum (and later threads were posted in the 4stroke and tr650 sections) regarding the survey that Husky NA sent out. I don't know what the intent was/is, and some of the questions were hard to answer in the format provided, but with the bits of real info here and there seems to be an undercurrent indicating that SP is planning on moving Husky ahead as a brand that is different than KTM. The survey basically seems to be gathering information to reinforce the direction Husky should take (mx, enduro, street, etc) and to seek to define the difference between KTM and Husky. The racing programs seem to anticipate some new 'Husky' machines for the coming year (with a separate program from the KTM program at the World MX in Europe). And while no one wants to see factories in Italy shut down but .... SP wants to be able to make use of synergy with KTM to keep costs down and moving the manufacture of 10k bikes to Germany probably makes sense. Husky has changed its personality several times in the past - from Swedish to Italian to Bavarian to Austrian? Things change (unless you ride a Harley).
    BILLF likes this.
  20. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks Bill! And hallelujah! :applause:

I'll be watching for those 2014's
    BILLF likes this.