Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    i aint payin 13K for that!
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It isn't that it isn't easy to work on, I just found some of the parts/ design and usage to be surprisingly light for the task required. Failure was because of this light, what I felt was under-engineered application. I just don't want to get into detailed rantings. I just was very surprised at things that would be very easy to upgrade/design to bullet proof. I have to say that after I got done with the repair, my instant gut reaction was that bean counters/accountants got involved in final production drawings and parts design/acquisition. I am probably over reacting to what is a possible future for Husqvarna.

This is not meant as a rip on all things KTM as I am far too inexperienced with them to make an overall judgement.
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  3. twowheels Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    hoping for a WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    18 Beta 125RR; 16 TM 144/300
    They didn't get as light as they are by accident.
    john01, Kevin_TE250 and HuskyDude like this.
  4. 4eyes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R5
    This whole situation gets more depressing, the more real info I learn.
    I started out optimistic about Husqvarna and Husaberg getting reunited, now.....not so much.:(
  5. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Very true ... of Italian and British bikes. Small workshops, based on individual riders and designers who innovate; and are then `taken over´ by large, companies, interested in `global´ markets who imitate, but are unable to innovate. That´s what BMW tried to do (but couldn´t). And that´s how the Japanese conquered the world market. And that´s how Pierer intends to carry on. Luckily for us there are still quite a few Italian shops that make bikes. But EU regulations make it ever more impossible to get motorbikes made by smaller companies road legal . Sadly, the Husky 630 trick (you buy the p/u plug to get the `real bike´) is no longer practicable. But we´ll get around the problem somehow. Even if I have to hang on to my bikes for the duration ... I´ll NOT buy Japanese (or KayTeeEmmm)
  6. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I heard that Husky gonna get a 690 version
  7. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

.... in ORANGE??
  8. panhandlebars Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm200sold!klx125&drz 70 kids
    Never been as upside down on a bike $ as I was with the Ktm ....enduro engineering,Ktm hard parts and local stealership made $$$ steady diet of parts and pieces...wheel bearings way too small,watch for flying plastic...the air box lids stupid 1/4 turn fasteners that always fell out...dealer told me to but black duct tape over them so you don't loose them when they fall out ...yeah $ 12 for the fasteners that fall apart....x bushing failure? Put a sock over it to keep dirt out, sloppy heim joints, clutch fail,basket fail,over complicated exhaust valve that gummed up,exhaust leaks,cylinder cracked at pipe,weak rear hub,leaks coolant,boil overs....I am ok with the replacing of consumables,chains,sprockets,air cleaners, top end etc......but that bike was a money pit,the aftermarket had a fix for every failure...heck even Moose made an oversize bearing kit and improved seals for it..........the profit is in the treatment not the cure..ha..I worked on that bike more than I rode it....never again.........I just hope some of the reliable husky platforms find their way into the future husqktm ....ok rant over ....Walt just dredged up some bad memories....elitist dealers,leaking gas caps and fuel all over Jim and the twins,........rant over, rant over, count to ten...breathe, zen, relax..really I am ok now. Did I mention the cracked subframe,broken frame mounts,stator failure.....no really going to stop now.....so happy when i saw it sold and in the back of someone else's truck ........sorry for hijacking...
  9. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I had a 2002 KTM 250 exc and found it to be fairly robust, but maybe things have changed as they have gotten lighter.
  10. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Come to think of it, I was always replacing wheel bearings and spacers on the KTM and never on my Husqvarnas. And no, I did not like the dzus fasteners on the airbox.
    But lets not forget, many of us have had to do a lot of tinkering to get our Husqvarnas to run correctly.
    erigre and Dirtdame like this.
  11. panhandlebars Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm200sold!klx125&drz 70 kids
    It was pretty sad I had phone book thick stack of receipts for it....they buyer was so happy I had done so much"maintenance"......yeah when the aftermarket builds every bandaid for a bike that should be a warning. Literally that Ktm was a roach,over priced,over priced parts prone to failure....was a bad experience all around. At least with the wr300 I saved a pile of cash, armored it up,pwk and I was done...it's really been happy trails ....no joke...
    Big and Husky likes this.
  12. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Dzus fasteners are great. They are used extensively in aircraft applications. I wonder if KTM was installing them incorrectly? The fastener on the seat of my TE310 is basically a Dzus fastener with a ring instead of a screw head.
  13. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey SP - there's a kid doing well flat tracking Huskies - in a year or so he'll be ready for the 'big time' - how about a light twin adventure bike that can be the basis for a flat tracker :) The big KTM's and BMW's are too big - the BMW800 is about right. Still love that Nuda at Erzberg time trial!!
  14. motomaniac Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 RMZ450 2005YZ250 2001 EXC300
    That's all I had to do to my 2010, still running the original pipe.
  15. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ..I can vouch for some of what Wally mentioned ...after I closed my shop,I began working on bikes at my garage shop to help make ends meet...and I've worked on a lot of ktm's over the past 20 +years( as well as Husky's) and there were many times that I'd sit and scratch my head wonderin' what the hell ktm was thinking.Husky has had a few brain fart ideas,BUT NO WHERE NEAR AS BAD AS ktm has had......from the inner most workings/designs(pv gear drive) to the simplistic (seat bolt "under' the fender,right above the tire)...but I don't want to rant on...
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I should never have posted anything. I was just stunned by some very weak parts and was disillusioned with what that means for Husky going forward.
  17. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    Maybe some of the Husqvarna durability built motors will give them some insight .Lets not give up guys and give them a chance might be worth waiting for alot of cool new stuff on the horizon.
  18. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Wally, stunned is stunned...and it seemed to be just a heart felt observation, not a total bust of a brand. Maybe model specific...maybe not.

I have also been stunned and amazed...but it is about your willingness to help us and anybody else to forward the husky cause. Your concern about the brand is well founded and supported by many.

Hopefully we will end up with something that's worth caring about.

Keep the faith...
    john01, Motosportz, BILLF and 6 others like this.
  19. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Do not worrie Walt Between my Walt Smith 165 and the fact my 300 is working so well I have all the husky field covered
  20. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

KTM NA is having sales meetings this week to map out 2014. I am hoping something about Husqvarna and Husaberg will come out of that meeting. I am a Husaberg dealer and I told my rep that KTM needs to get out in front of this if for no other reason than to calm down the rumors. Husaberg customers are starting to ask a lot of questions that I have no answers for.
    4eyes, TerraCzar, ScottyR and 8 others like this.