Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I really don't know, but I suspect Bajaj is building the Ninja 300 and Ninja 650 for sale in the states.
  2. pentonpro Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    home
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki gt 750 lemans
    FYI both Jaguar and Land rover are owned by an Indian conglomerate.
    The Key is money to R&D and the courage to produce and market those ideas.
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

....and the branding and distribution channels to sell the product; hence Tata buying Jag/LR and the Chinese buying Volvo, etc.

Right now Europe and NA will pay more for a Husqvarna/KTM etc branded machine than we will for a Tata/Bajaj/Kymco branded one...even if most of it is made in India/Taiwan or wherever. The Koreans sold cars through US car companies for years before they started their own US operations. I suspect that someday our children will be just as comfortable with a Bajaj as they are with a Hyundai or Honda.
  4. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Bajaj is vintage bikes look and technology made new now
  5. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The length of the chain adjuster bolts on that rouser look very safe :lol:
  6. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I didn't notice them. Look like what should be on a conveyer belt.:rolleyes:
  7. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Bajajinja.
    Coffee and oregonsage like this.
  8. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Get shafted by ZipTy! ;)

He's too blinded by his association with KTM to realize that. That's why he plans to simple slap a Husky sticker on Husabergs starting in 2015. Same bikes, better known brand name. But will that mean Jarvis will be riding a "Husky" then?
  9. Sph123 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 Husqvarna TE250
    My dealer said he should be getting another shipment of 2013's in per his rep. He also said the 2014's will be more husaberg the Husky. And that they will be Blue and Yellow.
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    lol ... Not proven and some us will be around in 2015 to see what happens :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umrp1tIBY8Q
  11. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Well, "they" can call them whatever they want. "Most" of us will know they're not Huskys ;)
    john01 likes this.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Maybe but as other folks have pointed out below, Bajaj just has no clout in the USA ... They had better come up a marking scheme like honda had in the 50s ( the 'nicest people' line) or they better start racing that bike and engine for PUB ... That video made it clear these guys are ~100% with niche marketing on building bikes for specific customer needs & wants...

The 4MIL units sold puts alot more light on motorcycle sales business on a global scale ...;0) ... Makes dirt biking look tiny ...

These guys luv their bikes and that's one of the funky things they do to their machines ... Its like funky bike town here .. .
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Whatever you are talking about does not even exist yet ... lol Get a grip before you have some horror story to tell ...
    Mike-AK likes this.
  14. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Interesting thing about the BMW/TVS relationship, I think it is TVS that has already been building exact copies of TC250's only with blue and white plastic. I saw pictures long before the sale to SP.
  15. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

This does not qualify as hard news on all of this (and it may have been put up previously) and, it's "old", in terms of the rapid news / revisions on the Husky / Husaberg / KTM front:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/how-much-will-husqvarna-change-59669.html

I find quite a few points made in that article, quite interesting / believable. And a bit, less believable. Read it carefully.

It points out the fill 'all niches' ethos KTM seem to exude, And that perhaps they will make truly new engine. Well, I'd include how easily they can use existing engines from the Husky purchase.

Why scrap 'everything', why scrap the XLite? It's there, it's well developed, though far from it's dotage, they have all the tooling. The oft rumoured 450 XLite, and DFI 2ts - they may be just about ready to be produced? - and Pierer's initial interview with Cathcart mentioned precisely Huskies 2t technology they had in the works. They may be "the Truly new" engines

These may be part of the "truly NEW bikes".

I've no idea of the Kymco Engines future / owner (I see CCM have shown an ADV bike with it - if it's to be done, and, of course, they'd make / sell small numbers - but it would be ironic to see CCM get out an ADV 450 before everyone else:D), but I've ridden them a few times, and they've been one of my favourite 4t engines of recent years. At least some here appreciate it - on KTM Talk, many can't seem to get past DK not being able to do the job he signed up for. And, they never seem to 'see' that Juha got the same overall E2 result in EWC on the BM, as he did the year previously, on the KTM - 2nd overall in the series. Not to mention the numerous success' in competition by the BM / Husky - in many events that KTM s riders would not use their 4ts in. :rolleyes:

I daresay it's "gone".

Earlier here, there was a short quote from Bajajs bloke - regarding the potential for Husky sales, just as Dirt Bikes, as we now know them in the West.

Well, as I've written many times, all is needed is a percentage of a percent, of the newly middle class in India, China, Asia, South America, then Africa, and all other emerging markets, to put the piddly, in total, sales of Dirt Bikes , through the roof, on a relative scale.

And, I'd say Bajaj, who I really think is the "owner" of Husky now, can see a use for another brand name in the more mainstream markets within the developing economies - Road / Commuter, and Duallies, like what we had in the 70s - eg, DTs, XLs, Ts' etc etc. The markets are so potentially huge, that it won't 'cannibalise' Bajaj's, Bajaj KTM's sales, in any way - and it will help them do battle against the likes of Hero Motorcycles, Honda India - they have separated from Hero, Mahindra, and so many other brands - including the rest of the "Japanese" brands - most of which have factories nearby in Thailand, and who will probably do more in India. And, of course, to do battle with Chinese / other brands.
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This one?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So what business was bmw conducting on the side with its Husky data?... bmw is starting to look and sound like a worn out dish rag in all this going forward ...
    4eyes and organ donor like this.
  17. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Thats the one, almost looks like the parts will interchange.
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The chinese bikes here just a few yrs back (and maybe now) were all clones of honda engines because spare parts were locally available to some degree... Like a built in supply line :) ... Why clone a Husky in asia? Certainly not for spare parts off the local shelf...Its too tall also ... The average Indian will not even sit on a bike that tall I bet ...

The lower throttle cable going into the CARB has a red tab on it just like my bikes ... No stickers on the forks or shocks almost guarantees a clone of some sort ..
  19. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    TVS.jpg
    I try to steer away from negativity... BUT, the engine looks like a cheap painted steel casting. AND the welding on the frame looks like bird poo. AND is that a painted steel footpeg? Oh hold on, the moulding for the radiator shroud has flaws too...

Get that bike out of that exhibition NOW. (and send me the blue plastics to bolt onto my 310 when I wanna confuse the Yamahaha crowd please)

Ohhh wait right there *pink arrow* that little bit of blue plastic is meant to go behind the black bit.

"Good from far, far from good"
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Sounds to me that is a reasonable summation of everything posted in this and other related threads on Cafe Husky.
    No, I do not think that link has been posted before.