Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450, 2005 TC450, 2013 TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000

OK, so now I am now beginning to understand the big picture. What will be interesting to see play out in the long run is how the relationships will be managed and how new bikes and models will emerge. Given that SP/KTM and by default Bajaj, now own Husqvarna/Husaberg, then I assume that there is no way that the above TVS/Husky/KTM hybrid bike can go forward unless it is rebranded a Bajaj/Husky/KTM hybrid.

Whats more, now that BMW have signed their agreement with TVS, BMW would be in direct competition with Bajaj, hence it is why the BMW derived Husky products do not fit in. Therefore, I am speculating that perhaps a new kymco powered TVS manufactured bike might be a possibility and that we may see this relaunched for western markets as an Indian built TVS/BMW 450. So maybe the G450/TE449 platform might have a future after all under TVS? Possibilities......?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323550604578409960656038972.html

The partnership with TVS will give BMW a significant foothold in India's growing motorcycle market, the world's second biggest. It would also give the company access to TVS's plants in India
    The partnership could give TVS access to the technology to develop new motorcycles. It would also enable the Chennai-based company to better compete with larger local rivals such as Hero MotoCorp Ltd. 500182.BY -0.86% and Bajaj Auto Ltd.532977.BY -0.95% and foreign competitors such as Honda Motor Co.,7267.TO -1.16% Yamaha Motor Co. 7272.TO +0.37% and Suzuki Motor Corp.7269.TO -0.95% TVS now produces motorcycles with engine capacities of 110cc-180cc
  2. southy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki RMX250
    At the moment all speculation but I would say due to the fact KTM have accepted responsibility for parts supply and warranty of the 449/511 engine as part of the Husqvarna purchase, they would have some rights to the BMW/KYMCO design engine and as such a say in any future bikes running this engine.
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Interesting stuff.... Hopefully the huge motorcycle market in the Emerging World, will subsidize the low volume Euro dirt bikes we love and they will continue to be assembled in Europe, from mainly the Euro and Japanese parts.
    4eyes, john01 and Coffee like this.
  4. SigPig Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 200&690
    Not sure if it means anything or not, but Letti was running WP suspension on his Husky today at Erzberg.
    duggoey likes this.
  5. metal_miracle Husqvarna
    AA Class

6. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

that "ancient" wr300 finished second place at erzberg today. congratulations, andreas lettenbichler!

r
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'm still blown over by all this ... I'm used to seeing cloning or copycating on products here and bike engines ..Maybe honda is over in china giving out licenses to whoever for the cloned engines to be imported here? I just thought these chines clones were made somehow without honda input..

bmw working hand and hand with this tvs company to product cloned Huskies? And then sells Husky out to SP? All transpiring in recent months? I see it but cannot understand the legal aspects of all the data and information flowing between the 2 companies ESP after selling the company to SP ...

--
    MX racing or whatever you wanna called it is probably being pumped up to a new levels in these countries with affordable bikes (cloned) being produced for the masses ... I keep putting the racing here out here for you guys to see what racing around the world is doing as compared to the states ... Bike racing is part of the political process here :) (says alot for cash flow) , it simulates the local grassroots economy, its the best entertainment going other than basketball or volleyball ... Its the 70s here and plenty of growth is possible but everyone cannot afford a 350,000P top-of-the-line-bike to ride ... In any event, this is why these guys want the brand ... Rebadging is out here.. Cloning is in ... I just hope SP races a Husky to glory in the USA ... 1st world bikes will be made off the profits made in the developing countries selling MILs of small bikes and apparently clones... I'm just blown away with the path these large companies are taking for products ...But I do see the benefits of the crowds here loving bike racing of any size or bike brand ... Free entry to all races except on Mindanao then ~$2 a head ..
  8. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Yeh, it blows me away too. Just have a look at the Chinese made Odes bike we have in Australia. Less than half the price of a CRF yet runs the same piston and crankshaft apparently. Its a pretty decent copy if you ask me. I just don't know how the clones get away from it without some form of approval or licence from the factories. There must be some agreement with Honda. Maybe BMW & KTM figure that they had better get involved and licence the technology to clone manufacturers before it is cloned anyway. Half of something is better than all of nothing.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. Indorider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TZM, Suzuki RGR (2 smokers)
    We get 'em from China AND Korea. Almost all are Honda clones but recently I've seen a few Kawasaki clones as well. Hell, I'd probably buy that bike for half the price of a CRF just as a loaner to friends who want to go for a ride.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    As I understand it, China does not hold faithful to international patents like it does with the United States. Special labor trade treaties were signed for this between the US and China. All other countries are fair game?
  11. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

those who make those cloned bikes do not have any license or agreement.

those manufacturers are trying to make a business, trying to fullfil a demand. they don't have any problem with cloning anyone else's product. they believe if they clone a successful and high-quality product their product will be successful and high-quality, too.

in fact there's not much that you can protect here. patents do not apply there, and going to court over a "similar-looking" product is a pain.
    i guess, honda does not even have a huge problem to be everybody's "inspiration" here. after all, those clones make honda THE standard technology in those markets, and people sooner or later will want "the original".

r

p.s. i found some pictures of the tvs, with a red cylinder head (picture no 3):
    http://www.drivespark.com/two-wheel...xtreme-sports-exclusive-interview-003661.html
  12. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

China will clone anything they can make a buck on. I saw a TV show where they cloned the BMW X5. BMW tried to take it to court but the Chinese goverment said no go it's a differnent car; no copy. LOL other than the name and of course the quality they looked exactly the same. I wouldn't buy a chinese bike for a quarter the cost of a euro or Japanese bike. Are some of them getting better...I guess but not good enough IMHO. Seems like they like to copy BMW cars and bike.
  14. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Giovanni has stated he is open to taking over the Husky factory, subject to striking a deal with SP and with Government support. Lets see where this goes.

http://www.laprovinciadivarese.it/stories/Economia/379834_husqvarna_castiglioni/

Husqvarna,Castiglioniinfield
    "I might be interested in the siteĀ»

June 1, 2013 Economics

Husqvarna workers protest (Photo by Varese Press)
    BIANDRONNO "I've been thinking a lot about the case Husqvarna and if there was a viable package with all the sustainable conditions, economic, financial, trade union and ministerial, I might be interested in the site Cassinetta."

Giovanni Castiglioni patron of Mv Agusta, a glimpse of the future of the plant Husqvarna, the new ownership, represented by the group Pierer and Ktm, close to transfer everything in Austria. To give a future to the site and find some Cassinetta entrepreneur concerned, there is three months long, so long will the ordinary fund that game Monday, June 3, for 212 employees. "Given that I have spoken to anyone about anything - goes Castiglioni - under certain conditions, this possibility could be explored."

"If you ask me if I need it now more than 200 employees in an establishment or my answer is no - says Castiglioni - but if there is a large industrial plan, with the support of different entities of the State and of course with the 'current ownership, which must do its part, could evaluate to take this risk. "

The Province of Varese on newsstands today Saturday, June 1 other details on the matter
    ray_ray likes this.
  15. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

imagine you are in the air looking at where you will land, concentrating on your line after this
    not the best time to wonder if the frame can take this
    4eyes, dirttracker1 and john01 like this.
  16. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I have been wondering if a lower cost enduro bike would get more people in the woods, and my conclusion is no. There are plenty of used KTM's, Hondas, and yamahas for $1500-$2000, we live in a different culture where most kids would rather play with their phone.
    Guys that want to ride are willing to pay for quality bikes.
    NYCMX, Big and Husky, Tinken and 2 others like this.
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Maybe if we had woods. :D I would rather ride than Xbox, but kids are lazy these days, especially those lazy Americans... Guys that want to ride Husky's are not lame.
  18. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Nobody has offered lower cost enduro bikes that are reasonable quality, for one thing. Most of the cheap dirt bikes offered for sale right now are just that....CHEAP. And I mean little wheels, bad suspension, plastic engine covers, gutless motors, questionable carburetors CHEAP. Pep Boys used to sell little dirt bikes and quads for really cheap, but they didn't do it for very long. The machines performed poorly, had terrible parts....which were not available if the customer broke any of them....which they did, and often.

I would think that somebody could offer acceptable performing full sized trail bikes with technology from the last ten years that would be reasonably reliable units, and at a reasonable price....maybe a couple thousand dollars less than the top shelf machines. Look at all the people that will buy a brand new DRZ400, and those things are certainly not state of the art. Yet PLENTY of people are willing to shell out 6500 dollars for one of those! Our local dualsport club is loaded with DRZ400 owners. Those who spend a lot of time in the dirt, eventually tire of the slow and heavy bikes and purchase a Euro enduro. But the plain old boat anchor is what they start out on. These are the kind of people who would spend 4 0r 5 grand on a clone that had some quality control going for it.
  19. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    The new and used TTR225 and CRF230 are the staple for that market around here. They arent state of the art, but they get people a reasonable way to try out dirt riding..from there they either upgrade or just sell it...repeat and rinse.
  20. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    You can get a new WR300 for less than $6,500 that will vastly outperform a DRZ400 (and probably make the average DRZ400 rider crap themselves in the process).