1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC Another 4cs option KYB SSS conversion

Discussion in '4st' started by Chums, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    This may have been talked about already but thought it worth mentioning. Protune suspension offers a convention to use KYB SSS cartridges in the 4cs outers. Its not for the purists but I spoke with Cory the owner and they machine the SSS and install base valves. He said its $950 for everything including a valve job.
    I like my Kreft stuff a lot but probably would have given this a shot since its a bit cheaper, has anyone else tried this? How is it?
    lankydoug likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    should work exactly like a good set of revalved SSS forks which to me are fantastic.
  3. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    i picked up a set of 06 SSS yz250f forks last night with a view of fitting them to my husky to try. Plan on using the whole fork at this stage not just the inners. time will tell....
  4. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I like the idea of the inners only...
  5. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Having KYB SSS forks with Brembo brakes. :banana: Maybe Beta will offer this on their build-a-bike since Zokes might not be an option anymore.
    ks9mm likes this.
  6. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR

Love KYB on my Beta 300!
  7. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I have a buddy fitting some 14' Italian husky tc250 forks to his beta also as his Sachs imploded haha.
  8. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350

had a play today, to fit the whole fork I would need to machine out the top clamp as the KYB is too large, plus also drill/tap a new brake mount bolt then put up with the reduced offset handling.

on the other hand the inners are actually not too bad to fit, i need to make up a new bottoming cone that will allow the std 4CS base plug to screw into, then just drill and tap the 4CS base plug to accept the KYB lower threaded section. Then use the 4CS fork springs as they are longer and without spacers should allow for zero preload if I make the base bit correct. The whole process is easier than it sounds, I get to keep the 4CS lower lugs meaning offset and brake mounts won't change and also the whole thing will easily be reversible if it doesn't feel any better.

Stroke will stay at 300mm which is an increase in the SSS 275mm.

on a side note, the SSS forks feel heaps lighter and just pushing on them they are so much smoother than the 4CS ones, hopefully this stays the same when using the 4CS outer tubes.

Watch this space
    juicypips likes this.
  9. .B2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE350
    Alright guys, stop all this Frankenfork talk!
    I had my first ride today using RT base adjusters & Gold valves with the setup recommended by Terry & it was bloody great!
    I was tempted to slightly change the stack but decided that the only true test would be to run what I was told.
    The terrain was mixed with everything from fast whoops to rock gardens, I did my best to get it to bottom out or deflect & couldn't do it.
    By the end of the ride I had it at 8 clicks out on rebound & 1.5 turns out on compression (approx 9 clicks), those settings sound like it would be fairly stiff but it was actually the total opposite, smooth comfotable racey it had it all.
    Can't wait for next weeks race.
    So after spending a little over $400 with Terry I now have forks that do everything you would expect from a ready to race bike & are still a genuine 4CS & the only thing I've lost is the ability to adjust comp on the fly..... Small price to pay for forks that feel this good.
    john01 and bikesparky like this.
  10. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    haha glad your setup worked B2, you were a little worried at first.

i finished up the design of the SSS adaptors last night, will get some material this week and start turning them up with a view to test the 4th July weekend.
    Chums likes this.
  11. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Was told on the 15's with the new lugs for the new axle bolt that you need to change that back to the 14' style lug to do this SSS conversion. This would change the 15' offset.
    Not sure if there is a work around on this or not.
  12. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    I'll post up a pic of the adaptor i'll be using once it's finished, can't see why the same thing couldn't be used on the 15 models.
    It's a bolt in adaptor that incorporates the bottoming cone that doesn't require the lugs to be taken off for install or any machining of the legs or parts.

the bit I don't like is the WP legs don't feel half as smooth as the SSS legs. I even tried to swap out the SSS upper tube with the WP lower leg but they fit too tight. Stiction sucks on the WP legs.
  13. gameover Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none yet
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, RM250

Any updates on this?
  14. gameover Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none yet
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, RM250

Who is terry? :)

What parts and from where do I get them?
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    suspension is crazy subjective. I had a buddy do the same and did not like it. He is a very picky dude.
    robertaccio likes this.
  16. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    http://www.shocktreatment.com.au/

My forks are done with his parts. I got the parts that convert it to compression at the bottom and rebound at the to for both legs. My dealer then adjusted the shimstack following Terry's advice, new oil and it's all good.
    haven't touched them since and love it now. Total cost round $400 Australian for the parts.
  17. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    Well I finally found some time to trial fit the SSS carts in the 4cs legs, minor change made and they fit sweet. Full travel the same as what the 4cs had and uses the 4cs springs. Now to make a pair of refined ones.
    Anyone got any good SSS woods stacks to try when the time is right?

[IMG]

[IMG]
    lankydoug and Chums like this.
  18. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en

The Yamaha SSS stuff works great in the woods as is, actually it works great everywhere. It's what you'd expect from every new bike that costs 8-9K, just spring it for your weight and ride
    robertaccio likes this.
  19. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I assume the legs are off a 14'? Heard 15's need to have the knuckles swapped to a 14' for the conversion not sure if that's true.
    Side note my 14' 350 forks are shorter than my 15' 300 forks.
  20. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    Reading what the Beta people are using, there are three (?) different lengths to look for.