April Dirt Rider 250f shootout

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by tommie d, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Husky Relic Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511, 2012 TXC 310, 2013 TXC3
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GS1200, Zero S, Zero DS, Zero FX
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Just to clear up a few mis-conceptions, every magazine was given a brand new TC250. We didn't use the same bike over and over. All exhibited some sort of starting issue(compounded by the fact the testing was done in August and September two of the hottest months of the year). We were not the only distributor to complain about this issue. We attempted every jetting and set-up mod we could to sort the problem out. Unfortunately there was no silver bullet for the problem. The editors complained about the hard starting as well as the lack of "hit" from the motor in the same fashion as they had when they tested the bikes in Tenerife has part of the World wide press launch in February 2009. Several of the mags had the bike dynoed which gave them numbers to corroborate their feelings. Fortunately with cooler weather the starting issue has not been so severe. Also I have tro say our customers are in many cases a little smarter than the average journalist and have a feel for how to start a four stroke. The starting issue hasn't really been that much of an issue from the standpoint of the those that actually purchased a TC250. The factory knows it was off with the initial settings and is working hard to make the 2011 model better. This does not take away from the fact that the 2010 TC250 is a very good motorcycle and in the hands of the right rider can be very competitive(look at the lap times from the tests). We are proving this through our race team results at Endurocross last year and at the National Enduros so far this year. Also it should be noted we are homologating this model for the AMA Outddor National series

Its never easy reading criticism about your product. The best thing we can do now is learn from it, make adjustments and come back with an improved offering. This is exactly what the factory is doing. We are already working with MXA on a modified test of one of the Zip-Ty racings 250s. Trust me when I say it has plenty of hit. Hopefully through this process we will get a better review on the bike.

As for the magazine testing process as a whole everyone here seems to have pretty strong feelings about it. As someone who has been engaged in the actual work(for over 25 years) itself all I can say is that claims that these guys are all "bought and paid" for are certainly different than my experience. Most editors take a great deal of satisfaction that the wonks in advertising don't have any control over what they do. For sure their are biases and tendencies that these guys get trapped into but saying advertising is what runs the program isn't exactly true.
  2. mxer74 Husqvarna
    AA Class

AMA Outdoor Nationals !
  3. silver_fox Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kick some ass Mr. Young!
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Interesting thread plus alot of good points and I'd guess the testing is fair but a little biased ... Isn't everything in usa and world like this? The rice burners have ruled the dirt biking in usa for decades and just being allowed with them is a step forward ... too bad such small items are beng overlooked in the preparation of the bikes and this gives the testers an 'easy out' when complaining about the bikes ...

I had no idea of how a testing bike gets into the hands of a magazine ... This process alone looks very a-screwed to me...

Allowing these bikes in the PRO MX / SX racing would make all this a moot point ... The bikes will either stand up and make a good showing or they will not. The point being, PRO MX \ SX racing will get their name out in the publics eyes again ...

I still don't understand why bmw \ Husky does not get the paper work done so these bikes can at least get on the starting line. Forget factory support as if bmw does not have the pockets to help. Let the privateers and others support the racing teams.

As I always tell my riding buddies right before we go out on the trails for a ride in GPNF, the time for smack talking is over!

-- Are you implying you will be racing the PRO ama outdoors series on a Husky?
  5. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    ray_ray,
    Did you read reply #21 ??????
    "Also it should be noted we are homologating this model for the AMA Outddor National series"
    Looks like their doing the paperwork to me.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Sweet!! No, I missed that line from Husky Relic and thanks for pointing that out! ...

The smack talking is over! I wish all Husky riders great luck and wish I could be there to provide any help :banana: ... I might even have to get my TV hooked up again to watch some real racing!!!