APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmmmmmm I thought one night in Bangkok was suppose to make a hard man humble :D :cheers:
    454x likes this.
  2. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    I am interested in the carb also. So there is not jetting involved? No pilot or main jet changes? Just the clicker to make adjustements?
  3. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Correct. One big knob at the top to adjust the position of the metering rod. Zero jets anywhere. Seems to work fine.
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

Hey Kelly:
    How about throwing that thing on one of you're four stroke bikes and see if the difference is as dramatic.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nope, 2 stroke and 4 stroke carbs are not interchangeable. 4 strokes need accelerator pumps and other things. Thats why they are way more complicated. APT is working on one.
  7. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I think for people that race and are on top of their adjustments for performance the SC and price may be less appealing. But for those of us that ride for recreation and don't really know how to tune, apart from bolt on goodies this is very appealing. Personally I'm tired of reading hundreds of jetting threads. You have a hundred people with the same bike, but a hundred different jetting specs so varied that it's hard to even get a baseline. I just want to ride, I don't want to become a jetting guru. So far the SC sounds like a holy grail to me.
    ohmygewd, Ruffus, Tentontimmy and 2 others like this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I respectfully but completely disagree. I have jetted countless 2 strokes and used to race. I'm actually pretty good at jetting and don't mind it at all. It is not at all about not knowing how to tune carbs it is about the fact that is makes much more power, has way better throttle response and gets better mileage... I cant see how any racer would not want that??? That you can fine tune it externally is just a bonus and far from what really appeals to me about this carb (performance). Try one, your song will change. Also I think racers would like that fact that in a wet race they are not going to plug a jet with water (I hate that). I would be the first to tell you this thing is crap and snake oil if it was. What it is is a very noticeable performance gain. BTW my CR125 was running great and very powerful as is with the stock carb. Just tossing the carb on and fine tuning it yielded obvious power gains and throttle response more so than any pipe or other aftermarket performance part short of the 165 kits has. Two stroke carb designs have been largely stagnant for a LONG time and I think someone finally upped the game. Just like the FCR transformed the 4 stroke world this carb might just do that for the 2 stroke world.
    454x, huskybear, flyingbob and 4 others like this.
  9. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Well spoken! I agree.
  10. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Seat of the pants is one thing but I'd like to see a comparison between this carb and a well sorted Mikuni like mine on a dynamometer. It doesn't have an opinion. :D
  11. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My seat of the pants feels the mikuni would get it's feelings hurt :D. I feel I had mine sorted as good as I could get it and honestly it's wasn't close to what I have with a few minutes of turning a single knob on the SC. My son and two guys that work for me all feel the same way. I hear you though on the dyno results, I just don't have one close that I can use.
  12. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Would be a VERY interesting comparison of a bike with a well tuned Mikuni or Keihin vs an SC but that's all a dyno is going to give is that great baseline in AFR plus increases in the rev range graphically.
    If this SC has the ability to reduce that variability of air and temp pressure, that many trial rider's experience, by way of twisting a knob then Darkside comments echoes the voice of many frustrated 2t riders.
    huskybear likes this.
  13. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I think based on 100% of the reviews I have seen, that we are witnessing the beginning of something that we will remember in much the same way as we do other breakthroughs in the past. I could be wrong but the SC seems to have the advantages of EFI without the disadvantages.
    I'm really looking forward to getting one.
    john01 and typeone like this.
  14. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    x2!:cheers:.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I predict it will kick butt on the dyno and also show much better emissions. I also don't care what the dyno says as it will not measure the amazing throttle response and big roll on power nor the huge smile on my face. Also the plug looks perfect. I will gladly plunk down the $400-$450 to get the cast one.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BTW TMXX and PWK for sale if anyone wants one. ;)
  17. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I hope Ron at RB will have something to fill in the time he usually spends doing mods to TMXXs and PWKs.
  18. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Ron will just switch over to putting the divider plate into the SC. Then you will have the ultimate carb and empty pocket.
  19. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    So if given a choice, would you guys run the 36 or 38mm with either the 144 or the WB165?
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have only tried this one and it is a tapered design from like 34-38 i think. Works fantastic for my needs and probably why the bottom end is so EZ to meter and control. Thsts what I have put an order in for. My 165 with KTM Doma pipe should but up and running today and tested this weekend. Will report back.